964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

HELP . Trying to tune my turbo conversion 965 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:00 PM
pjv911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP . Trying to tune my turbo conversion 965 engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-4 weeks ago I got my 82`sc up and running with a 92` C2 3.3 CIS turbo engine. It runs great but im still looking to make sure I made no mistakes along the way. So I have a few questions for you guys.

#1 I bought both turbo fuel pumps used and are almost new. My shut down fuel psi drops below spec within 5 minutes. Spec calls for 20 minutes. Im experiencing a hard warm restart after 15 minutes or so. I pulled out my accumulator which was a 005 version and checked it. The diaphram is good. However I found out that the correct accumulator is a 031 and since I had a good one I put it in. Also used the larger S line that goes to the filter. Well the problem still persists. Next is to replace the check valve in the pump/s .
My question here is... Are both pumps supposed to have check valves or just one. Also which one if not both ?

#2 My engine came factory equiped with an air pump/air injection system which puts fresh air into the exhaust port.
I removed the entire system except for the air injectors/lines/and check valve. My question is will the check valve still allow air into the exhaust ports ? Should I find plugs ? Where can I get them ? The reason for concern is that between every shift (even when driving very easy) Im experiencing loud backfiring out the aftermarket fabspeed muffler. Funny thing is the problem just got much worse today after installing the correct turbo accumulator and a new f/filter .

#3 Which causes more backfire/flames when decelerating ? Is it rich or lean that makes it worse.
For what its worth my dead head fuel psi is 98 lbs and warm running psi is 65 psi . Both are correct spec for this engine.

#4 On a cold morning start my controlled fuel psi increases from about 45psi to 65psi just as it is specified in the book. It takes less than 2 minutes to get there. Is this too fast ? The book does not mention time frame for reference.
Also I recall reading that its a lower control head psi that gives a richer condition due to the metering plate moving easier. Is this correct info ?

#5 Lastly (for now) Im very interested to push the boost up to 1 bar. Im currently running it safely at .6 bar until all fuel issues are secured. I have a Andale Enrichment setup but think its kinda primitive and will add more room for problems. Should I list it on ebay and get the Imagine Auto fuel dist mod done ? I spoke with them today and its only $540. Has anyone used this service before ? Any input ?

Overall the car is running like a scalled dog with the stock 320hp in a 2400lbs car and a modified ratio shortened G50 5spd . For the record I just yesterday beat a friends 2006 ZO6 vette from 35-85mph by a car length. Yes he was embarrassed and said he had the A/C on.
Im looking to get another 75hp or so. Can this be done with 1 bar and proper fuel mixture ?

Sorry about all the questions. I hope some of you will take the time to offer me advice. More than one members response is always better. This is my first 911 turbo experience so its kinda new to me.
I should also add that my engine came from Brumos Porsche in fla
It was to be raced back in 92` but the 3.6t had just become available so it has sat on the shelve since. Its basically a complete brand new stock engine. It is labeled all over the engine and computers as "super car" Anyone know what that meant ? And I did run 2 bottles of techron through it already. In short the engine is stock and mechanically sound.

Thanks in advance

Kurt Williams
Old 07-23-2006, 02:45 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get the blanking plugs for the air injection from Stephen of Imagine Auto.
As you want to increase bhp then get the modded fuel head from him too, then you can go to 1bar if you have the C2T intercooler.
The next mod would be some headers, Stephen of IA sells B&B.

He can tell you about all the other technical things you asked as well.

I have bought parts from him, he is a great guy to deal with and will help you out.

Quick Reply: HELP . Trying to tune my turbo conversion 965 engine