964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

rear spoiler question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by riverflyer
Anthony, is the front splitter on the yellow car what you are talking about as a front spoiler? To balance downforce correctly? If not, any pics? thanks, John
PS, your previous info was super helpful and, as it turns out, confirmed by a couple of "hot" Pcar tuners.
I was actually refereing to the tail. I try not to use the term spoiler, it was always a generic term we used years ago that could be for either front or rear add on wings or splitters. It can get confusing.

The yellow car has the same front splitters I have which are the turbo S splitters. I came very close several times and almost bought a turbo S tail but have yet to take the plunge. I am not sure how easy it is going to be to match the paint and I am busy working on my DE car so I try to focus on one at a time.

I find that at higher speeds the front splitters do help keep the front planted. I am sure with the bigger tail it would make the car feel even more stable. I recall reading somewhere that the splitters open center creates a negative pressure along with the 2 winglets on either side working together to pull the nose down at speed.

MA Shaw is a sponsor https://rennlist.com/spnsrs/mashaw.html
Old 06-22-2006, 01:54 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Riverflyer,

The quality of Mike Shaw products is very good. I have seen some of his CF hood, they are very light and strong.

The CF trim pieces on my car are for the interior (dash, like the factory), but they are installed with 3M tape overlay the original pieces. They are not as good as factory original pieces.

Sonny
Old 06-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911addict
John, that looks like the S (and flatnose) tail doesn't it?
I'm sure Flachbau will be along soon to tell us all about the colour coded spoiler....

PS: That's alot of yellow on one car isn't it, even the seat backs. Notice the quad exhaust tips.
As others have stated that is a Turbo S tail. There are several aftermarket suppliers such as MA Shaw, NR Auto, BW Motorsports etc. all sell the tails for around $500. The 94' Turbo S tail was the first turbo production tail that came fully painted in matching body color. I would imagine that at most speeds (other than on high speed runs) you could run it without matching splitters - and you'll know it's time to back off when the front end starts to feel light and twitches around.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:42 PM
lwilkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that the tail on my race car is from MA Shaw, for the 993, but fits a 964. Since I'm the second owner, I'm relying on memory of what the first owner told me about its origin.

It's a nice piece, went on pretty easily, and the adjustable-angle carbon fibre wing is nice.

The only thing that took a bit of work was blocking off the air inlet so it just reaches the top of the intercooler. My trusted mechanic advises that engine compartment heat should be kept from swirling into the I/C. The side air inlets probably cool the engine compartment a bit.

After installing this wing, I went two seconds quicker on the track.

[Just joking. New suspension and new Hoosiers may have helped, too.]
Old 06-22-2006, 10:21 PM
riverflyer
Instructor

Damn, all that stuff and only 2 seconds, sounds like the parking brake might have been on!!

Do you have any good pics of the wing?

Anthony, does this look like the splitters you are speaking of?

btw, what is the deal with the graphic about "sum of attachments" that comes up when posting pics? Do I have to delete something when its full or what?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:31 PM
lwilkins
Instructor

All my pics get rejected as too large to post. I'll need to figure out how to shrink them like I did my avatar.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Yes those are the same spliters I have.

As far as the Gt2 MA Shaw tail. I freind of mine races and uses the same tail he also uses a smaller tail for vintage racing, he claims the differance is quite noticeable and his lap times are slower with the smaller tail.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

lwilkins

I thought you had a black S2. Do you still have it? When did you get the new beast? Any special features?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

riverflyer,
that is a really nice example. remind me, was that your car also pictured elsewhere on this forum on a road with a black M3?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:08 PM
riverflyer
Instructor

911addict, thanks, yes, but it was not my car then. In fact its not my car yet, its in the shop getting a nice load of IA go fast goodies being added, then it will be my car! Former Rennlisters car though, thats why there were pics here.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:54 PM
lwilkins
Instructor

Anthony, yes I do have a black 1992 Turbo S2. I also have a 92 965 race car. That makes me either blessed or cursed, depending on whether you ask my wife or me.

Having two 92 turbos has allowed me to avoid buying parts in quite a few instances. Right now, my S2 is getting a colder a/c and the mechanic found a flapper motor and the recirculation switch not working. Guess where the flapper motor and recirculation switch will come from? I had a mysterious electrical problem with my S2 about a year ago, and we borrowed a part from my race car to to test, which allowed me to avoid ording a $1,200 part from Porsche (which wouldn't have solved the problem, as we learned).
Old 06-23-2006, 02:09 PM
lwilkins
Instructor

Riverflyer, hopefully this picture of the tail will work.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2006, 02:30 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

lwilkins,
what is an S2? Is that a US name for something we would call differently in UK?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:50 PM
riverflyer
Instructor

Wow, nice race car! Looks like a 2 second wing to me. So the upper part is adjustable?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:28 PM
lwilkins
Instructor

The 1992 Turbo S2 was a limited edition homologation special, that changed the cams, intercooler and turbocharger from the normal 92 turbo. Otherwise, it was identical to other 92 turbos.

Only 20 Turbo S2's were made to bring it within the IMSA regulations for racing. 2 were raced and won the IMSA Supercar Championship in 1991 and 1992. I have one of the 18 that were sold through dealers.

I have a certificate of authenticity from Porsche Cars North America identifying it as one of 20 made, and a window sticker showing the S2 engine option as about a $10k addition.

Some of the 20 are no doubt low mileage garage queens. I prefer to drive mine, and it's my daily driver. It now has 93k miles on it.

Quick Reply: rear spoiler question