964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Question on Replacement A frames/ Rubber Bushes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 03:43 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Replacement A frames/ Rubber Bushes

My garage has told me my front bushes are perished and need replacing. I am in the process of getting a second opinion before I authorise the work.

They have quoted me around £500 for new A-frames and fitting.

I came across 'polyurethane bushes' and asked whether these could simply replace the worn rubbers and save me money? He said that to do this the A-frames have to be removed and sent away. Furthermore he says that these Poly bushes squeak after a while and are therefore no good.

Is this info correct?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

I replaced my front bushings with products from Powerflex, a UK company I think.
The cost for the bushings where £100.
You need to remove the A-frames to do this, that's not hard, the hard part is getting the old bushing out There are an explanation on how to do this in a "Porsche 911 world".
If you search the 964 forum you will find all the information you need.

Since it takes a few hours to do this, the price they have qouted isn't to bad IMHO.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:59 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Steffan, thanks.
After various discussions, I tend to agree about the price. My guy will replace A-frames with RS version which he reckons is better than original turbo. Ultimately, I think I'd prefer the whole unit replacement rather than the bushes.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:04 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 595 Likes on 354 Posts

Prior to Porsche dropping the price for the Arms, I would have been tempted by the bush replacement. However, I figure OEM will give me piece of mind and won't possibly squeak as the polyurethane bushes might...plus I couldn't look my mechanic in the eye after mentioning that option. His face said it all, it is heresy in his opinion.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:47 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911addict
Steffan, thanks.
After various discussions, I tend to agree about the price. My guy will replace A-frames with RS version which he reckons is better than original turbo. Ultimately, I think I'd prefer the whole unit replacement rather than the bushes.
Make sure a wheel alignment is included in the price, if you change the A-frame you will have to adjust your caster as well as your toe.

I would also have the mechanic to explain why the A-frame to a RS is better, and more importantly what the difference is. Probably nothing strange about this, just very good to know.

Edit:
There seems to be a different (harder) bushing on the RS A-frame.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500 is not bad. In 2003 I had my replaced and they cost 300pounds each for the parts!

Quick Reply: Question on Replacement A frames/ Rubber Bushes