Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Anyone here blown their head gasket ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here blown their head gasket ?

I have an oil leak on my car.
Lots of oil is coming out through the rim on the right wheel when driving.

I am starting to prepare myself for a blown head gasket, but never heard of anyone experience this on a 964 turbon on this or any other forum.
I hope it's the valve cover, but I don't see how that would make the oild come out of the rim. There are also some pipes and hoses that is on the suspect list.

I run moderate boost (0.90), but I had an incident with a failed wastegate, the pressure switch kicked in but the boost topped at 1.35.
The car runs great can't tell it has lower performance than before, would it be able to run well with a blown gasket ?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:52 PM
klein90
Advanced

Did you pull the wheel to see if the oil may be from a oil hose or bad CV joint.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:17 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

If its a blown head gasket (or cracked cylinder - don't ask me why I brought that one up), you'll start to develop a massive oil leak and it won't run well. Better stop driving and locate the source of the leak. Any funny noises when the engine is idling? If the oil comes from the engine, do a leak down test. Good luck, let us know how it works out.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys.
I have great experience <caugh> in bad CV joints, that spray pattern is more circular in the vertical plane.
Have a few other culprints and I will check it out during this weekend.
What I wanted to hear was that the engine runs terrible when the gasket is blown so I can stop worry.

There are nothing abnormal about the sound of the engine and it runs great, just lots of oil.
My concern is that the oil seems to sprayed, it seems to be under pressure, so that makes the valve cover less likely. Will report back on my findings.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:43 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this is passenger side? If so, there are three oil lines up there. One of mine recently split and started leaking oil in the wheel well (while I was doing about 135).
Old 05-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JBH
So this is passenger side? If so, there are three oil lines up there. One of mine recently split and started leaking oil in the wheel well (while I was doing about 135).
Thanks Jeffrey, gave me some hope.
Yeah, it's on the passenger side, one of the culprints is the hose going between the oil tank and bottom of the engine. Haven't had the time to look into it yet, perhaps tonight, otherwise this weekend.

Perhaps I am trying to avoid unpleasant facts, but the car runs great, boost is right on the target and I don't here anything out of the ordinary on idle nor at full boost, well with a totally unrestricted exhaustsystem I don't know what I should expect soundwise
Old 05-11-2006, 09:10 AM
lwilkins
Instructor

If it's a blown head gasket, you should hear a ticking sound at idle, while standing at the back of the car, which varies with the engine speed. If you hear that sound, it's time to explore rather than continue to run the car.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:32 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You don't really have a head gasket per say. Not like a 993 or 964. It is simply a .5mm spacer to make up for deck height. It would not blow if you will.

If you are having seepage or ticking it is more then likely an issue with a broken head stud. Just as bad granted, but easier to check for. Pull the valve covers and look for a loose nut with a stud on it.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
You don't really have a head gasket per say. Not like a 993 or 964. It is simply a .5mm spacer to make up for deck height. It would not blow if you will.

If you are having seepage or ticking it is more then likely an issue with a broken head stud. Just as bad granted, but easier to check for. Pull the valve covers and look for a loose nut with a stud on it.
I don't have the ticking sound, jut a spraying type of oil leak that pushes out oil throught the rim which I haven't located. Did the valves just a week ago and checked the stud nuts, they where all there and the leak started before that.

Changed to silicon gaskets this time, first thought was that these things made it to leak, but it's just so much oil (and seems to spray) on the trailing arm, parts of the damper, whole wheel etc. Perhaps it's the valve covers, just didn't think it was possible to have them to leak this way. It was the third time I did the valves so I am pretty sure I got it right.

Well, I gather this is good news for me, at least for now, will report back on my findings.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

I am pretty sure I found the source of the oil leak.
It was the oil pipe connected to (more or less) the lowest part of the crank, which is connected to the oil tank. Must be oil feed or oil return. Turned out that it was loose, I remember taking it loose when I removed the power steering pump assembly, it was in the way.

Took the car out twice today, hard turns, hard acceleration and high speed, but no leaks, should be okey now. Thanks everyone!

Of course I found a loose bolt in the engine compartment and there is a gasoline smell, I looked through Pet and I believe the bolt (a cheese head) could be holding down the CIS unit, there is allways something to worry about.....

Quick Reply: Anyone here blown their head gasket ?