Breathing Fire

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Breathing Fire

Firstly, this i know is very childish!

I am doing a couple more 'road rallies' again this yesr and was looking to make a specicle of myself and the car for filming purposes by having the car 'breathing fire' through the exhaust whilst driving/downshifting. I'm sure this has been covered many times but the searches i have done are coming back blank for some reason.

Is there a simple way of achiveing this?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly 'road rally' is June 06
Old 04-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve:

I have a Beck Spyder that shoots flame when you let off the gas or down shift. Its pretty cool. It is caused by a rich condition and having spent fuel ignite in the headers or by the Turbo in your case. Not a great condition to have in your 965. Yes it would look cool but the car would run like a bag of rocks otherwise. Plus it is very easy to melt your rear fascia or at least distort it.

Craig
Old 04-12-2006, 07:43 PM
tafkai

i saw a kit on pimp my ride that used a small tin of propane ??
Old 04-12-2006, 07:54 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

You need some B&B or GHL headers, also on the 965 you need a cat bypass.

Running overly rich will prevent the exhaust getting overly hot and producing flames, ideally you want to run lean and then when you lift off the throttle after boost run rich and have lots of unburnt fuel ignite on the turbine wheel and flame out of the exhaust.

Don't fiddle with the CIS, just do the exhaust.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:44 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats not childish! Thats just cool. My last 930 with headers and full exhaust used to do that. It looked awesome. I never contimplated the risks at the time
I have a lot more childish things than that to do, like I mentioned in another thread. Get the pimply faced teenager to check your oil and water next time you fill up..............thats childish but really funny
Old 04-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal 965
Firstly, this i know is very childish!

I am doing a couple more 'road rallies' again this yesr and was looking to make a specicle of myself and the car for filming purposes by having the car 'breathing fire' through the exhaust whilst driving/downshifting. I'm sure this has been covered many times but the searches i have done are coming back blank for some reason.

Is there a simple way of achiveing this?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly 'road rally' is June 06
1. For maximum result (3-4 ft flames) you need to have an exhaust (eg. B&B) that is directly run off of the turbo (replaces the cat). Otherwise definately a cat bypass.

2. The car should be run with a normal AFR. You don't need to run rich and don't want to run lean to achieve maximum effect.

3. You very well may burn the paint on your rear bumper but you will not melt the rear bumper itself. I have burnt my paint, but that's why there are body shops. The effect is worth having to repaint the rear bumper now and then (exhaust side only).

4. To best achieve the effect, accelerate in second gear and then at the normal shift point, shift into third and simultaneously let off the gas. Flame city baby!

ps. the effect is most spectacular at night!
Old 04-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Seba911
Advanced

Here is what you are searching for... The flames are only part of the fun, sorry I haven´t any suond material..
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2006, 10:21 AM
Miguel
Pro

Guys, do these flaming cars pass on the yearly inspections?

I won't even start to imagine the face of one of those inspection "********" with his moustache on fire whilst doing an exhaust analysis.....
Old 04-19-2006, 01:45 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get flames, you need to be on boost and then lift throttle. An inspection station measures at idle and on a rolling dyno at low speed so there is no chance of flaming anyone.

To answer your question, most turbos capable of producing flames are running slightly rich with no cats = failed inspection.

People following me on the track always comment on the flames. I had one guy approach me after the session worried that there was something wrong with my engine - like I was leaking fuel and it would periodically catch fire.

The most impressive display I have seen was on Brian Keith Smith's car - flames just pour out the back end of that car and they seem to endure forever.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Aw, c'mon. You guys are working way too hard for this. What you need is a flame thrower. Check this out:
http://www.mimousa.com/home.asp?dir=products&prod=444

Be sure to click on the "see it in action" for the video. Who needs expensive headers and overly rich mixtures? For $140, you, too, can throw flames with the best of them...
Old 04-20-2006, 02:05 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

You would have to be pretty sad to buy one of those Hahaha.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Miguel
Pro

Now this is the burro in my avatar speaking, but I would also have thought, as the guy that approached JBH on the track, that flames pouring out behind were the result of, whachamacallit?, problems???

Amazing the things one learns from you guys in these Rennlist forum...

Who would have thought....

Old 04-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

I have straight pipes and have no flames.
But by plugging the de-acceleration valve (shiny disk shaped thing underneath the intercooler), you will get a very rich condition during throttle lift. The de-acceleration valve opens up during throttle lift, feeding the engine with extra air for emission reasons.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

On my 930, my decel valve is going to live in a cardboard box
Old 04-21-2006, 07:16 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

The only thing you need to plug is the tiny rubber hose connected between the de-accel valve and the throttle body, just make sure it's plugged in both ends.
Cars have caught fire so be careful.

Quick Reply: Breathing Fire