964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Repaint and value?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 04:09 PM
neilbp
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repaint and value?

How much does a complete repaint affect the value of a 911 turbo? Assume the paint job is very nice and recent.
Assume the car is a $50,000 car if it still had original paint with a few minor stone chips. Everythng else being equal, how much is the car devalued,if any, with a new quality paint job showing almost no blemishes at all?
Thanks for any thoughts.
NBP
Old 03-22-2006, 04:33 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by neilbp
How much does a complete repaint affect the value of a 911 turbo? Assume the paint job is very nice and recent.
Assume the car is a $50,000 car if it still had original paint with a few minor stone chips. Everythng else being equal, how much is the car devalued,if any, with a new quality paint job showing almost no blemishes at all?
Thanks for any thoughts.
NBP
Depends on the car. If it is a collect grade 3.6 Turbo S, a repaint will crush the value by 30% or more. For a 3.6T, it might drop a $60k car to $50k, and if it is a 91-92, a repaint might be $4k-$5k off of a $40k car. Also, the more pristine & low mileage the car is, the more a repaint negatively impacts the value.

Also, any repaint impacts the value.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:55 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd say the drop is less dramatic than 38D makes it out to be, but it is highly dependent on the quality of the work.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:28 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I'd say the drop is less dramatic than 38D makes it out to be, but it is highly dependent on the quality of the work.
Well, like I said it does depend. My car has 98k miles, so the fact that one fender, front bumper and the hood have been replaced and repainted probably does not matter much if at all. The more of a collector example the car is, the more it matters.

If you give the stats on the car, you'll probably get a better response.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:27 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frankly, a repaint doesn't devalue a car at all IMHO, unless it was due to accident damage having been repaired at the same time. After all......many of the award winning cars at the various events, Palm Beach, etc, are repaints many times over and are worth millions. Think about that.

If you're getting it done on a car you own......document it with many pics so there is no question in that regard. I'd buy a repainted car (assuming it was done properly....and that is where the problem lies....determining the quality of the job) in a New York second.

Edited later to add that I am referring to repaints as opposed to color changes which IMHO are serious devaluers of a car........

Last edited by YYC930; 04-17-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Miguel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

38D your Avatar gives me goose pimps..here I am trying to concentrate, but I find myself scrolling up again and again to see if they ( I mean the airbags ) are still there, and YES, they are..if there is one thing I like more than P cars...
Old 04-09-2006, 09:33 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You have to compare the repaint with what the original paint looked like. If it was in poor condition and not revivable before the repaint, then the repaint most likely increased the car's value (which would have been below average to start with, obviously).

Was it repainted the original color or something different? If something different, is it at least a color that was offered for that model year? Or is it a non-Porsche color? These are important factors. But probably the most important one is the quality of the job. A $5k repaint, for instance, isn't a quality job but a $10k one probably is.

The first question on my mind would be WHY the car was repainted. If the owner changed the color because he didn't like the original, then that is an automatic devalue regardless of anything else IMO.

Quick Reply: Repaint and value?