Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

EFI Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 07:14 PM
DeanM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I converted to EFI 2 years ago. I did the conversion myself. I used the DTA P8 Pro ECU. Everything including a new core for my intercooler was $6500. My motor went from 328 rwhp running lean on a Dynojet. To 352 rwhp on a Dyno Dynamic dyno. It is an early 3.0l 930 motor. Oh yea, the Dyno Dynamic guy said that a stock 996TT puts out the same hp as my motor but a little more torque on his dyno.

Dean
Old 01-28-2006, 09:58 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

I played with my enrichment settings today trying to get better throttle response. So, I combined TPS and MAP, and set the sensitivity to nearly max. This way, when I blip the throttle, fuel is immediately introduced whether the throttle position moves quickly or manifold pressure increases quicky. Since I advanced the cam timing and adjusted the enrichment, this is a different car. What a difference a couple details can make....
Old 04-08-2007, 08:52 PM
marcvip
Banned

Originally Posted by bogey1
My thoughts were on the Imagine conversion that was discussed at length a few months ago. It seemed that everyone was interested, everyone asked "How Much?", and to the best of my knowledge I never really saw a straight answer. My car has a ton of modifications already, but the EFI is really the only way to finish it off. Even though I already have the headers, exhaust, HF turbo, rod bolts, head studs, BOV, Tial Wastegate, intake etc.. it still seems that it will be another $15,000 to convert to EFI, twin plug ignition, and the HF2 Turbo, and EVO cams. I guess spare parts could be sold (HF Turbo, modified fuel head, HKS EVC, Andial Enrichment, and my SC 330 cams), but I cant imagine I would get a whole lot of $$ for these parts. I may be wrong. That being said, the results should see 500rwhp, which is a nice bump from the 390rwhp I have now. I am no wrench, so doing the work myself is not an option with two kids and a job. It will cost almost $3,000 to ship the car to KC and back to South Florida, and I guess the "we'll split the transport with you" is no longer an active offer, even though its still on the web site.
Bogey1/Phil,

How is your EFI conversion going at Imagine auto? I heard it has been there for close to 1 year without much progress?

IA what is the hold up on your many EFI conversions?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:02 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What! No progress. Where do you get your info? We have gone back in to the motor and a whole laundry list of upgrades in addition to the EFI conversion. The car is complete with the exception of a dist I was having custom built that was a last minute decision. If you thoguht the car had mods before it really has changed now.

Aside from that most of our other conversions are gone. They have posted here on Rennlist.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:26 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

This is an interesting post; and the way I take it is that the highly coveted EFI Conversion is something not to be taken lightly... Colin brought up a great point. Disaster prevention by thoroughly inspecting the used motor and cleaning up any potential problems can add to the time and cost. Why spend all of that time and energy increasing power if your motor won't hold up? If it were my car, I would want to send it to someone to refresh the motor first and before even thinking about adding more power. Only Faid (24 reference) would want a bomb shipped to them.

My choice would be the one who didn't rush through the EFI conversion and held onto my car...
Old 04-08-2007, 10:35 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Mark, we ended up with a few more items in the build after all..... Its always the same with me, once I get in there, I kind of keep upping the ante. The turbo I requested has created required a ton of custom fabrication and some creative use of a saw to fit the required plumbing in the rear end. Once we get the last part, which should have been late last week, its only a matter of days before tuning on the dyno. I will certainly have the good doctor post a few pictures when its done, and the sheets to show how well he did.....
Old 04-08-2007, 10:43 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Yes we all have a sickness and I do not help. In the end Phil and Drew and the rest of the gang know, I am ok with you being mad that I was a little longer than we thought. That is far better than having you come at me with a shot gun because I did something fast, cheap and wrong!

We had some early growing pains with all the of the kits at the start. That grouped with the simple fact I had 9 cars shipped to me at once and there is only one of me created a bottle neck. No excuses, but end the end every car comes out right and needs nothing.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:01 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Sickness you say? There is no cure, not even EFI

This is a good time to bring to light what many members already know and what newer members can look forward to. A reputable mechanic, known all over the Porsche World taking time to answer questions on a free forum...
Old 04-10-2007, 08:43 AM
marcvip
Banned

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Yes we all have a sickness and I do not help. In the end Phil and Drew and the rest of the gang know, I am ok with you being mad that I was a little longer than we thought. That is far better than having you come at me with a shot gun because I did something fast, cheap and wrong!

We had some early growing pains with all the of the kits at the start. That grouped with the simple fact I had 9 cars shipped to me at once and there is only one of me created a bottle neck. No excuses, but end the end every car comes out right and needs nothing.
PorschePHD,

I only recall seeing one dyno posted from your EFI conversions. Do you have others with final a/f ratios and details to present?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:34 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Interesting considering I know I have posted at least two of those dynos. On a side note I have done EFI conversions since the mid 90s and have not posted every single car I have done, nor any of the average 4-5 motors built here every month. Chet, Scott and Derick have all received their cars back. In addition Phil’s car would have been gone had some changes to the setup not been made. But since you have chatted with him I am sure you already know the changes he requested.

If you want dynos for a specific reason then you can call me directly and we can chat.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:08 PM
summax
Advanced

For those who have read my previous EFI report. I took my car for another test at local dyno shop to be sure that I supposelly get the right power that i was promised.
The reading is lower than i expected. Therefore, I contacted with Chris discussing the issue and , emailed him the new dyno sheet. He immediatelly sent a trailer to pickup my car the very next day.
At his shop, He found some vacum and intakes leakages and is making necessary adjustment, tuning... I eventually received a letter from Chris in writing at the time I picked up my car stating that if my car does not produce the power i expect, he would fix or replace parts to achieve the hp #s with no extra charge. That 's a peace of mind havine someone you could trust work my car.
I sincererlly think as long as I recieve the premium services and honesty, I don't mind spending money to compensate it.
I can wait to get my car back this week.
Bellow is the dyno sheet with lower reading.
Regards
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2007, 07:38 PM
nutter965
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all i've pulled the trigger as well and went with Chris, i have everything sitting in my garage but build progress is slow due to work commitments but i'll get there sometime ! his kit is very very nice, custom loom AEM engine management etc, can't wait to get the thing together !!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

are you doing it all your self
been told efi will only give another 50bhp is this true also been told if efi is donne done you would need to do a top end rebuild at 5k before even starting on the efi thats souunds like b*** s*** to me
Old 04-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Ive been watching this thread for a while, and what i get is that ther are so many ways to go about an EFI conversion and so many different opinions on how to do it, that one has to find there own way.

Since my conversion is 98% complete ( I wonder if any are 100% HAHa) i thought I would share some of the details now.

I dynoed my 3.6 T @ 386 rwhp
stock CIS 1 bar GHL headers ,no cat. K27 HF and tial WG ,
it went lean on top 13.5 so i got nervous........and that justified my spending some $ on an EFI upgrade.

So many months, many $$ , much frustration, and some fun.
my goal was not a HP monster but 80% track 20% street run cool all day on pump gas.
here is what I've got.

Stock 3.6 T internals. with same GHL exhaust and Tial WG.
Pat williams fuel rails and injector blocks on stock manifold.
Garret custom turbo.
55lb low impediance injectors.
MSD 6al on stock Dist.
Blown SiX 965 IC
LWF and IA clutch
Baily DV
Haltech E11V2 engine mgt.(very cool)
Lost a good deal of clutter in the engine bay .
Lots of new wires
lots of sensors and guages.
lots problems resolved.

First base tune
dynoed @
438 rwhp @ .7 bar. AFR 12.5
486 rwhp @ 1 bar. AFR 12.5

Car feels smooth and very resposive, and strong, but still need some tweaking and boost control . I will post some dyno sheets when we get it right.

would I do it again ??? I have to say Ive learned learned alot about engine management ,and have confidence in the reliabilty of the new set up.
That is worth alot for a car that you really love.

I want thank
Stephen and Geoffery for helping and teaching me.

A special thanks to George at ICS performance.com for fixing whatever I broke !

Elliot
Attached Images      
Old 04-14-2007, 07:36 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Turbohead
I want thank
Stephen and Geoffery for helping and teaching me.
Congrats Elliot! You are very welcome. It is a pleasure.

Quick Reply: EFI Conversion