Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Solutions to Non-Start and Other Problems Caused by Movement of Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 01:54 AM
lwilkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solutions to Non-Start and Other Problems Caused by Movement of Intercooler

In my limited experience, there are a lot of nettlesome faults caused by movement of the intercooler, primarily under boost. If you think about this, you will visualize how many places and connections it can dislodge by moving.

In order of troubleshooting, I would start with the O-ring that seals the I/C to the throttle body. It's tough to see, but look under the I/C with a strong flashlight. If you see any O-ring, or an irregular mating seal, that's likely your problem.

If that didn't work, then check all the bushings that secure the I/C in place, then check the connections on wiring and vacuum lines that could be loosened by movement of the intercooler.

If those check out, look at the main boost hose and check if either end has been eaten through on the hose clamp, thus introducing an air leak. Movement of the I/C causes this.

One of the best things I ever did was have it to a competent mechanic who welded rigid mounting flanges on the 3 intercooler mounts, rather than the flexible bushings that come loose over time. Now, the intercooler almost can't move, compared to the large and rapid movements it had before.

Hope that the above might help in solving the next problem. Or, better yet, preventing it.

This simple and cheap fix can reunite you with the power and excitement that caused you to lust after this car in the first place.

Quick Reply: Solutions to Non-Start and Other Problems Caused by Movement of Intercooler