964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Had an accident at the track :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 04:37 PM
Henning964Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had an accident at the track :(

For my second time at the track, at Kinnekulle(21.09.2005) in Sweden, I managed to do something bad
At the straight, I managed to get the car spinning at about 160 km/h going through an odd turn. Went onto the dirt, then it flipped over, rolled over once, ended sideways, left side down. I then turned off the engine and got out through the front window(which was elsewhere). I did have an instructor in the car.

The roof needs to be replaced, as with the front and rear windows. The front and rear seems unharmed, no visible damage and lids opens perfectly. Got some stones on the rear spoiler between the rubber. The sides needs to be changed, for sure. Wheels also. Got some stones between the rims and wheels, should be easily fixed.

Now, the insurance company covers everything, and the company advices by the porsche dealer will probably start fixing it next week.

Several people commented that nothing else would likely be damaged.

So, I have to follow up the repairs to be sure everything is made perfect. What else could be damaged? I appreciate any help and advice.

I have some pictures from the track(not of the car after the accident), if someone can reduce size and post here, if somebody wants to.

It was horrible to look at the car after the accident.

And oh, the car is a stock 1991 911 Turbo, except for sports exhaust and lowered to RS height. Amazon green/grey.

Sorry for my spelling, it`s not the best

Thanks,
Henning
Old 09-09-2005, 07:01 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Henning,

This sucks! But in the grand scheme of things, as long you are alright that's all that matters. The car can be fixed.

Some food for thought:
My buddy rolled a 993tt (only had it for a year) at a Time Trial Event. Still upset, he told his wife the car saved my life, it deserves a second chance. Wife bought it. He went on to create an absolute weapon on the track. Every door, fender even roof were replaced with Carbon Fiber pieces. Full roll cage pure track car with an interior for the street. It ways 300 lbs less than it did before and dominates TT's and is driven to and from the track.

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear of your accident but the most important thing is that you walked away from it unharmed.

Marc
Old 09-09-2005, 10:47 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second that - spinning at 160 km/h is scary. Glad the damage was light and your body unharmed.

How did it happen? Too fast into a corner or did you miss the apex?
Old 09-10-2005, 04:23 AM
Henning964Turbo
Advanced

A bit of both I guess. My body stayed stuck in the seat when I rolled over.
The car will be brought to the same condition, no track-monster

Another 911 did exactly the same at the same place, but stayed on the track(spun around three times before stopping). A GT3, driven by an instructor, went more or less left in a right turn and smashed into the fence. Only minor damage.

When we get it here to Norway, an insurance agent will have a look at it before they start repairing it.
Can it be brought back to the perfect condition it was in before the accident?

Also, someone who wants to upload those pictures? I need an email
Old 09-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Hi Henning
I guess you spun under the bridge, if so you are not the first nor the last.
The problem with 911 at that part of the track is that you could get tempted to lift the accelerator if things seems to be going to fast and then you are a passenger.
Personally I don't find this track very safe.

First of all, it's impossible to tell how damaged a car is just by looking at it after an accident lilke that.
Make really sure you get the best mechanic to check the car.
I would say there is a risk you car has structural damage, all the energy has to go somewhere.

If there is structural damage don't accept a repair without checking all your options.
After an accident a friend had, we learned that according to Porsche AG instructions they don't "allow" repair when certain structural things are damage. You have to replace the whole body, ufortunatly the last 964 turbo body was sold a couple of years ago (according to Porsche at that time). The price for a body was more than 25.000 Euro so it would be cheaper not to repair in most cases.

Let's hope there are no structural damage, but if that is the case think carefully about your options.
Personally I would then make a deal with the insurance company, take the money a build a monster track car, but that's me.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:55 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Just be glad that you walked away from it. Sounds like a horrific experience.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:05 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Henning,

E-mail to johnmcmillan@xtra.co.nz and I'll resize and post for you.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Here are Henning's photos [pre crash]
Old 09-10-2005, 06:55 PM
Henning964Turbo
Advanced

Thanks John.
Oh I miss the poor car already

I`ll keep you guys updated on the repair and insurance part, and I may ask some questions as my knowledge of most topics concerning Porsche is limited.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:07 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

You're welcome Henning.

Adrian Streather's book say that the Workshop manual has a list of approved repairs. Although not mentioned in the book I also remember discussions here about some damage being unrepairable as the affected body parts were made of high tensile steel.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Just curious how it could not be totaled if it flipped. I have had very minor looking damage result in totals on 911s.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Doug H
Just curious how it could not be totaled if it flipped. I have had very minor looking damage result in totals on 911s.
I don't think it's settled, to my understanding the jury is still out on this one.
But I agree, I would say it's very unlikely the car doesn't have damage to high streanght steel parts, but stranger things has happened in life.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:26 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

Absolutely incredible car!!! I am sorry to hear about the accident, but glad that you are fine.

Yasin
Old 09-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know that your alright.

Quick Reply: Had an accident at the track :(