964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Raced an EVO 8 today

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Raced an EVO 8 today

Ok guys just had to share this story with you'll.

I was cruising back home on a normal road when this dark grey Mitsubishi EVO 8 with balck rims and a loud exhaust pulls up behind me. I just keep cruising in my 2nd gear and he pulls next to me. I than pull up in front of him and floor it in my 2nd gear, I manage to pull 1.5 car lengths away, 3rd gear I pull about 5-6 car lengths away when I hit abt 6000 revs. We than approach the traffic light and he comes up next to me and thumbs up at me. Seems like a good sport and he had this pretty girl next to him. Aha now it gets more interesting as the road leads to the highway. Light turns green and he starts pushing me from the rear so I floor it in 1st gear and he manages to keep pace with me, 2nd gear I manage to pull abt 1.5 car lengths away, 3rd gear I'm again abt 5 car lengths away and 4th gear I'm gone with the wind. I pushed every gear to abt 6000 revs and I know I could have pulled harder with my Group B cams and good engine hardware but did'nt need to. I than slow down and let him catch up to me when we again waved at each other and went our own way. Damn did it feel good! I've always heard so much about these EVO's that they are pretty quick and he must have thought let me show this old Porsche a thing or two. Haha so much for an old Porsche, Woooah! something for him to tell his friends tomorrow...
Old 05-22-2005, 05:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,273 Posts

I guess you just defined the difference between quick and bloody fast.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:35 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

what car do you drive
Old 05-23-2005, 01:59 AM
leonardtay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sameer,

It sure feels good to beat another fast car in a street run! But us Porsche drivers have to be wary cos some of them evos and rexs out there are pumping out close to 450 bhp and with the lighter body weight they can sometimes be very very fast. The well modded ones will usually hold their own for the first two gears but the Porsche will usually get them once we get into the higher speed ranges. I had a rex once that could hold its own in traffic light sprints with an F355 (albeit a stock standard one)...
Old 05-23-2005, 02:09 AM
Sameer
Race Car

leonard,
I'm doing about 1150kgs. I think my cars lighter than theirs to begin with.

911 2,
Check out my signature at the bottom of my post.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:25 AM
leonardtay
Instructor

Wow.... that's light. How did you lose that much weight on the car? Is that weight with no fuel or with a full tank? You got it weighed at Ruf? My C4 weighed in at 1300kg with a full tank and no driver. That was after removing practically everything I could... did not go with the carbon fibre doors or bonnet tho...
Old 05-23-2005, 06:10 AM
Sameer
Race Car

leonard,
the 930 without sunroof comes from factory at 1250kgs. I removed a lot of items or replaced them with CF or Fibreglass parts
Old 05-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Vince5
Instructor

Nice one sameer !
I had the reverse experience a few weeks ago. Early morning on the motorway, very light traffic, I caught up with a SAAB 9000 turbo with SAAB Turbo Club stickers, I didn't think much about it. I passed him and he jumped on my tail, I saw the guy fondling with something inside his car on the passenger side and instantly I thought about NOS or turbo pressure...
We were alone I thought why not downshifted to 3rd (was doing 120km/h or so only) floored it, he went for it, I kept going into 4th then 5th and we were perfectly matched , I slowed down let him pass gave him a he went at it again I followed and conclusion was the same, we were perfectly matched !

He must have been so happy he kept up with a 911 Turbo.... With a stock engine I would have been owned by a SAAB 9000
Old 05-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Sameer
Race Car

I doubt it was a stock engine in his car buddie or just NOS.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Vince5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sameer
I doubt it was a stock engine in his car buddie or just NOS.

You would be surprised, some people here have managed to get amazing HP numbers out of this Saab engines ! Then my guess is that while my car could have sustained this speed until I ran out of gas (pretty quickly!) I think he would have given up much earlier not to take chances....

Quick Reply: Raced an EVO 8 today