Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Is it bad to start the car and let it run for a while without driving it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeffrey,
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:15 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The catalyst used to control emissions must reach operating temperature before it is effective, so driving the car immediately would help bring it up faster, but I think the factory manual instructions are associated with minimizing wear. Their advice to drive at moderate speeds and keep the engine under 4500 rpm most certainly is.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Originally Posted by JBH
Good question!

Manual says...
"Never leave the engine idling. When starting engine, be ready to drive immediately. Maintain moderate speed until engine is warm"

At cold temperatures the manual states:
"Do not let the engine idle to warm it up. After starting, drive vehicle at moderate speeds and avoid engine speeds above 4500 rpm during the first five minutes."
The Cayenne and GTS manuals say the same thing. Apparently it is common to all Porsches as are many things as I compare the manuals. So I decided to call my local Porsche service tech and ask him about it.

His comment was that there was no reason to drive off immediately after starting and that running the engine for a few min before driving off will have no long term ill effects. He did say that running the engine for more than a few min without driving will generate excessive heat and this is not recommended. This is why the first part of the comment is listed under the FIRE DANGER heading. Idling for a few minutes was acceptable per him so long as it is not allowed to sit for an extended period to warm up.

So per this "trained Porsche tech" idleing for a min or two before driving to warm the engine should not be an issue. I can't say he is correct but I figured I would pass along what he said.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok I live in Houston capital of traffic hell! So given the preceding dialog, stuck in traffic ergo sitting at idle.........not good I guess. No wonder the Germans invented the Autobahn it was specifically to allow Porsche to maintain their products in line with their design!
My mechanic indicated that a few minutes before you leave the drive way is fine. He also commented that it is worse to do short trips in our cars if you are going to take her out then run it for at least a couple of miles. Also when coming back don't "boost" to the drive way and then shut her off , rather stay off boost for the last mile to allow the turbo to cool down.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Yup drive her back home for a few miles off boost and low revs than shut it of or just let it cool down for 1-2 minutes than shut it of.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Another very important issue ,not yet mentioned ,is to give it a long enough drive at operating temps so that the moisture from condensation is vaporized. This water is in the oil and gets into the turbo bearings as well as other critical parts.
Get it hot ! and go on boost at least once. Its those short trips that hurt these cars.
Elliot
Old 05-14-2005, 12:42 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another very important issue ,not yet mentioned ,is to give it a long enough drive at operating temps so that the moisture from condensation is vaporized. This water is in the oil and gets into the turbo bearings as well as other critical parts.
Anyone that does their own maintenance have witnessed this - pull the valve covers and more water than oil pours out. Another reason why your car should be driven regularly.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:33 AM
Sameer
Race Car

All right guys, my next question, how often to floor it and how hard is good? They say you should blow out all the carbon once in a while.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:55 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Originally Posted by Sameer
All right guys, my next question, how often to floor it and how hard is good? They say you should blow out all the carbon once in a while.
How often to floor it? Why as hard as possible and as often what else.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:36 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Anthony,
OK I get the hint.

Quick Reply: Is it bad to start the car and let it run for a while without driving it?