964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Rear heater blower motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 AM
Tonytheturbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear heater blower motor replacement

Has anyone had to replace their heater blower motor and can the typical do-it-yourselfer be able to complete the job? I've already call Vetex for the part which is under $150 bucks. The dealer said they could repair it for $850.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:00 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 2 blowers in the 964T - one on the right and one on the left. The latter is easy to replace and it is definately a DIY.

How do you know the blower is bad? Mine started making noise last year. I pulled it out, cleaned and lubricated it and reinstalled. No problems since, but at $150 that is probably the prudent thing to do. Those blowers do more than provide heat to the cabin - they are used for engine cooling, activated when engine temperature reaches a certain point.

Last edited by JBH; 04-28-2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Tonytheturbo
Intermediate

JBH, the repair center (Porsche of Arlington) said it was bad but they didn't indicate which one nor did they say there were two blower motors in the rear. The reason I assumed it was a heater blower motor is when I attempted to increase the fan speed for more ventilation I would hear a grinding noise coming from the right rear engine compartment. I didn't know that the blower motors assist in engine cooling, wow...thanks for all the info. What type of lubricant did you use on your blower motor?
Old 04-27-2005, 07:54 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same issue with mine. It stopped blowing hot air and makes a bad squealing noise. Where in the rear passenger side is it? Is it under the plastic panel under the wheel arch?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:56 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you hear a screeching or grinding noise in the rear, it is likely the blower motor. To access it, remove the rear tire. There is a black plastic wheel well housing that needs to be removed (approx. six to eight screws). This reveals the motor which I show below. Two bolts hold it in place. Loosen the hose connections, pull off the thermostat wires and remove those two bolts. It's easy.

For $180, you might as well replace it. Eventually it will go bad, so lubricating it only prolongs the inevitable
Old 04-28-2005, 11:19 AM
mdd
Instructor

No one has mentioned the other blower in the drivers side fender well. The placement is similar to the one in Jeffrey's photo, just on the drivers side. Follow the hose from the heat exchanger and you will find it. It's a little harder to change since the wastegate is in the way but it's still a DIY. I changed both fans at the same time on my '91 C2T. I figured if the bearing went out on one, the other one was not far behind. Both fans have the same part number. The fan in the engine compartment behind the intercooler seemed to still be in good shape and never did fail.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:02 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm, I have had the squeeking sound when first start up the engine when cold (park for a 2 days or more). The sound lasts for about 10 seconds. Is this what you guys experiencing? When turn up the fan speeds my car don't have any abnormal noises.

I was under the impression that it was the fan belt. But it was just replace not long ago.

Thank you for the information. I will start listen to it more closing to determine which one is making the sound. I have been living with it because it only happens when start from cold first thing in the morning and I only drive the car 1-2 times a week. Any subsequence starts will not cause the problem.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 04-29-2005, 01:57 AM
summax
Advanced

I have had the same problem too. I took the blower out couple of time to tight the nut and put some lubricant on it. The craking noise is gone now, but i 've been thinking to replace it soon. Any idea what the part #s, guys?
BTW. who's your mechanic, SonnyVo? I've been going to Andial in the last 2 years.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:19 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe the 993 blower will fit and is an updated part. I don't think Porsche still makes the 964 blower.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:46 AM
summax
Advanced

Since you mentioned, indeeds bought a 993 blower from pellican part and it did not fit. It looked much different than stock 965 blower.
Thanks Jeff
Old 04-29-2005, 02:32 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by summax
I have had the same problem too. I took the blower out couple of time to tight the nut and put some lubricant on it. The craking noise is gone now, but i 've been thinking to replace it soon. Any idea what the part #s, guys?
BTW. who's your mechanic, SonnyVo? I've been going to Andial in the last 2 years.
Summax,

I have been going to either Lee Rice (turbo specific) in Garden Grove, he works out of his garage on appointment only, and also to Mark at Hergeshimer in Lake forest, where I used to live.

I now live just a few miles from ANDIAL, but they are too expensive for me. And I can only able to take my car in for service on the weekend (sat).

Regards,

Sonny
Old 04-29-2005, 11:21 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Jeffrey thanks for the photo. What is the part number and where did you get your fan? Had a good Concours at the Houston Polo Club I will post pictures. We had a 3 week old Carrera GT show up along with 37 other Porsches.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:59 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

The part number is 965 924 151 00 I didn't replace mine so I can't help you with the source. Used, you can try LA Dismantlers, PAP, or Parts Heaven. Tony's original message said he found one at Vertex for $150. Seems like a good price.

I saw you pics in the other thread - your car looks very good! Did you polish and wax? If so, what did you use? I am missing Houston - the middle of nowhere may have its advantages, but I am culturely starved. My plans right now have me moving to Raleigh or Chapel Hill sometime in July. Stay in touch.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:04 AM
Vince5
Instructor

Originally Posted by JBH
There are 2 blowers in the 964T - one on the right and one on the left. The latter is easy to replace and it is definately a DIY.

How do you know the blower is bad? Mine started making noise last year. I pulled it out, cleaned and lubricated it and reinstalled. No problems since, but at $150 that is probably the prudent thing to do. Those blowers do more than provide heat to the cabin - they are used for engine cooling, activated when engine temperature reaches a certain point.
I could have the same issue
I hear a crunching screaching noise from the engine compartment when I put the heat on in regular driving at normal engine temp (doesn't happen all the time but it's getting worse)
When everything is very warm i.e. after a track session I get the same crunching noise when I turn the key without firing the engine.
When cold I have a small whizzling sound, nothing you pay attention to.

The mechanic told me it was most certainly the heater blower issue and the thing could be replaced by a bypass. Would it have some impact on engine temp ?
Old 05-03-2005, 12:56 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can bypass the blowers and rely on the engine fan to force air from the engine compartment to the headers. I suspect the volume of air will be substantially reduced, especially when engine rpms are low. I don't know what this does to engine temperatures - I wouldn't do it because these engines need all the cooling possible.

Unless you are looking for ways to reduce weight (they weight about 5-7 lbs each), I would replace them.

Quick Reply: Rear heater blower motor replacement