964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Bought a C2 turbo...couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 09:37 PM
JadedSilver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a C2 turbo...couple questions

You guys might rememember me as the one turning a dodge Avenger into a Porsche. Well I dropped that project in favor of a 1991 C@ turbo that i purchased for relatively cheap. Lot's of miles(98K) but cosmeticall and mechanically in good shape. Being a Porsche mechanic I went through the car and found very little wrong with it other than typical dryrot seals and some paint issues(chips). it does need some love here and there gerneral maintennace wise and some various things like bonnet struts and some interior trim pieces but overall a pretty good car. Picked the car up for $27K at a used car dealer who wasn't quite sure of what he had. Car pictures:

The car is not stock motor wise(exhaust/headers) and somebody has removed the secondar air injection pump/lines from the car as well. I'm currently in the process of overhauling/stroking the motor to roughly 3.8L at my shop using custom carillo rods and ceramic/moly coated forged JE pistons, 102mm cylinder bores, DRC evo cams, and installing a GT35R ballbearing turbocharger from my previous car inplace of the K27 on it now.(motor had some SERIOUS oil leakage and low oil pressure from the pump.)

the question I have is the about the headers/heat exchangers and the exhaust itself. it's nothing I have personally seen before on a 964 and would really like to know what they are(brand). there are no identifying tags, nameplates, or serial numbers of any kind on this and there doesn't appear to be any area where a tag may have been removed in order to guise the brand of exhaust.

i took a couple pictures of it. maybe one of you folks might recognise it by sight? thought i'd give it a shot.

It's got me stumped, but if one of you know or have a guess just post your thoughts.

Thanks, appreciate the help.

and you guys were right.......was just better to get the real car instead.

Last edited by JadedSilver; 04-21-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:58 PM
erc94
Track Day

Looks like a B&B exhaust. I have one on my turbo... no serial numbers or other identification on mine either. But I could be wrong... good luck!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:47 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

Welcome to the club! $27k is an absurdly low price, even with the miles. I fall in love with my car all over again ever time I drive it. There is just nothing like a C2T!

Originally Posted by JadedSilver
I'm currently in the process of overhauling/stroking the motor to roughly 3.8L at my shop using custom carillo rods and ceramic/moly coated forged JE pistons, 102mm cylinder bores, DRC evo cams, and installing a GT35R ballbearing turbocharger from my previous car inplace of the K27 on it now.
Now, if you work on these, you clearly know more than I do. However, my understanding is that 102mm leave the walls too thin if you want to run high hp level. There are also some varied opinions on the K27s vs. the ball bearing turbos. Maybe some of the experts (Stephen, Kevin, Rick, Dan...) can chime in here.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:48 PM
JadedSilver
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 38D
Welcome to the club! $27k is an absurdly low price, even with the miles. I fall in love with my car all over again ever time I drive it. There is just nothing like a C2T!
Appreciate the welcome. After I last spoke with you guys about that "porsche" project I was working on I ran into this car and worked up the deal. It was what I was looking for(930/911 Turbo) and within my price range so to say.. Even so, I still have to sink some money into it to get it in the shape it should be. Needs front rotors, tires, lots of misclaneous seals and small interior pieces, and of course the motor work. Luckily I own my own machine shop and have worked on Porsches for quite some time so I can keep the labor costs basically to zero.

Originally Posted by 38D
Now, if you work on these, you clearly know more than I do. However, my understanding is that 102mm leave the walls too thin if you want to run high hp level. There are also some varied opinions on the K27s vs. the ball bearing turbos. Maybe some of the experts (Stephen, Kevin, Rick, Dan...) can chime in here.
You're absolutely correct on that. Boring and replating the stock cylinders is something to be wary of, both in structural integrity and thermal overload. there is a company you might have heard of called LN Engineering makes billet nikasil plated cylinders for the M64/50 and M64/20. Extremely strong and actually cool much better than the stock units due to the forged aluminum's thermal transfer rate and increased cooling fin surface area. I had a set of the 3.8 bores here from LNE from a customer deal gone really bad(on his part)and got stuck with the bill for the cylinder kit, along with the rods, pistons, gaskets, and a whole other slew of parts for it. Guess it was meant to happen, wierd how it works out. Anyways though I plan on stroking this 3.3, but if not I should have enough random 3.6 crank casings and internal block parts from past customers to piece together a 3.6 crankcase for it anyway. Have to check the scrap pile. If it blows up, I'll just rebuild it again. The motor stuff is the easy part for me.

And the GT35R was meant for my old car. another one of those parts I stuck myself with. I purchased the new turbine housing from Turbocraft in Arizona so it's supposed to just drop right in on the motor now. The K27 that's on the car now just spools like a slug, and it's a fairly new turbocharger itself. It had to ahve been replaced withing the last 10K miles. It's in too good of condition not to have been(no carbon, no shaftplay, virtually no rust)

I'm loving the car already, and I've only put ~1000miles on it. I can definitely say thanks to you guys for convincing me to do the right thing

Talk to you later

And thanks for the tip on the exhaust parts. Only really worked with FVD, Tubi, and Europipe exhausts before, but this seems pretty good to me :shrug:
Old 04-22-2005, 07:17 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome, looks good. I like the color ( as mine is black as well ) . Looks like a B&B header/muffler system. I have the same one and I don't see a name either.

Rey
Old 04-22-2005, 10:21 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by JadedSilver
there is a company you might have heard of called LN Engineering makes billet nikasil plated cylinders for the M64/50 and M64/20. Extremely strong and actually cool much better than the stock units due to the forged aluminum's thermal transfer rate and increased cooling fin surface area.
LN is supposed to have really good stuff. They are huge in the 914/VW world.

Quick Reply: Bought a C2 turbo...couple questions