964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Do I need a new clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:09 PM
krichard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a new clutch?

I noticed a slight flutter or vibration when taking off in first the last couple times I've driven my car. If I rev it up a bit it doesn't seem to happen. It doesn't happen every time but when it does happen it is noticable. Any suggestions? Everything seems fine when shifting and otherwise.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like your clutch could be dragging a little, which could indicate it's on the way out. Is the pedal stiff?
Old 04-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Easy way to test this is to put the car in 5th gear at 2.000 rpm and floor it, it can be done on 4th gear as well but most effektiv on 5th gear, if it starts to slip when the boost builds up you have a problem related to your clutch.

How many miles on your car ?

I have more than 90.000 km and never changed the clutch, had it cleaned from dirt (oil I think) once.

Not to uncommon that the rubber seal between clutch and engine starts to leak.
Had a problem with my clutch last season when running Mobile 1, change to Castrol TWS this year and had no problems (not really blaming the oil here, pointing out the possibility of a leak that get worse by Mobile 1).
Old 04-06-2005, 06:07 PM
krichard
Instructor

The car just hit 30k miles. I'll try the 5th gear thing tonight and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Do I need a new clutch?