964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Lightweight Flywheel Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 02:15 AM
lwilkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight Flywheel Pros and Cons

When getting my race car transmission rebuilt recently, I got a lightweight flywheel. (I'm racing as a PCA Prepared car, so lightweight flywheel is legal, altho it wouldn't be as PCA Stock.)

Observations:

Pros: It seems quicker on the shifts, but I'd better shift quickly as otherwise the engine rpm drops too much. I can shift quickly, so no problem with this, and I'm sure I gain some effective use of existing hp by not having to spool up a heavy flywheel. This is easier on upshifts than on downshifts.

Cons: I can barely get around the pits or onto or off the trailer without stalling. Since I've been driving a manual transmission in my street and race cars for the past 27 years in a row, I don't think this is normal, or that I need instruction in clutch technique.

Recommendation: If I were considering a lightweight flywheel for a car seeing mostly or entirely street use, I would run, not walk, from it. Only (barely) worth the tradeoff for real racing cars, in my opinion. On a street car, I'd be frustrated with a lightweight flywheel at almost every stoplight, or in getting into or out of my garage.

Observation: This parallels my experience with my 94 3.6 Turbo, where I got talked into a lightweight flywheel for my street car. Having more torque than the 1992 3.3 Turbo, the 3.6 turbo with lightweight flywheel was easier to deal with than this one, but it also transmitted a lot of noise, making it difficult for stereo, cell phone (I know, I shouldn't use one while driving, but gotta pay the bills for the maintenance!), and overall quietness.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:27 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My LW FW transmits some noise, but I have no issues whatsoever driving the car around. It is so nice I think this is how the factory should have delivered them.

My departed GT3 Cup was a different story. It was a finicky SOB in the pits.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:50 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Charlie - I have no issues with my conversion. I use mine on the street all the time and I haven't stalled once. Yes it is noisy, but I like hearing what the car is doing. It would be annoying for a long trip though.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:33 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All,

The light weight fw scares me. I need to be able to enjoy it on the street. I wish my Turbo is as easy to drive as my Acura Integra GSR.

Now that there are some cons issue with light weight fw, what do you think of light weight clutch?

I am not doing it anytime soon, but once I am ready, I would like to improve the quickness of the revs. And also to somehow improves the overall feel of the engine; it feels heavy from a dead stop.
I drive my car on the streets only and having fun once in while on the twisties and no tracks or DE (the wife won't let me do it).

Regards,

Sonny
Old 03-11-2005, 07:40 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had my LW FW and clutch for a year now and the car is as easy to drive as it was with the stock stuff. The reaction is a lot quicker and I am not concious of any additional noise. I have a slightly shall we say 'vocal' exhaust/header set up but unless you are behind me, it mearly enhances the entire experience!
I also replaced the main and slave clutch cylinders at the same time, not sure if that would alter anything.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:24 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyV
All,

The light weight fw scares me. I need to be able to enjoy it on the street. I wish my Turbo is as easy to drive as my Acura Integra GSR.

Now that there are some cons issue with light weight fw, what do you think of light weight clutch?

I am not doing it anytime soon, but once I am ready, I would like to improve the quickness of the revs. And also to somehow improves the overall feel of the engine; it feels heavy from a dead stop.
I drive my car on the streets only and having fun once in while on the twisties and no tracks or DE (the wife won't let me do it).

Regards,

Sonny
Sonny, what are the "cons issue with light weight fw"? Three of us (almost in a row) have said it is great.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:08 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Sonny, what are the "cons issue with light weight fw"? Three of us (almost in a row) have said it is great.
Well, there is at least one report of drivability from lwilkins,

I don't like any more noise then it is now. Must be getting older...

I am just not sure what other cons are out there.

That is why I am exploring the idea of light weight clutch.

Regards,

Sonny
Old 03-12-2005, 12:43 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure whats up with lwilkins car, but I would say it's atypical. I have the LW clutch and flywheel and it is as easy to drive on the street as the OEM unit.

Just curious why your wife is opposed to DE. In the novice groups it is pretty tame and the fun to risk ratio is very high
Old 03-12-2005, 10:55 AM
bjb
Advanced

Another LW flywheel owner who has no drivability issue. Might be louder, but I can't hear it over the B&B headers and "muffer".
Old 03-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

What kind of lw fw have you guys installed.
I need to change my clutch real soon and have been thinking about going lw.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Lightweight Flywheel Pros and Cons