964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Please help compare 964 Turbo vs. 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 10:00 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
IMO all the turbos are great but if you crave a car that requires the most out of its driver, delivers the highest level of excitement and fun and looks the hottest their is no other than the 964 Turbos. The 993TT's and 996TT's are awesome machines but have lost most of what IMO the Porsche Turbo is all about. They are smooth and docile and deliver great power and handling but if your not tracking the car you need to break the sound barrier to bring the car to the level were you feel you are driving a beast The 996TT's have all the creature comforts and to me feel like I am driving something other than a Porsche. The build quality of the newer cars is nothing compared to the earlier cars and with the glut of 996TT's out there the value is dropping on used examples all the time. If you want a daily driver that gives you all the bells and whistles then the 996TT is for you, otherwise for weekend fun or if you like cars that challenge you every day the 964 is the way to go. Just my .02.
Well said, Anthony!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Snoopy91
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Vinyc,

I was too searching for a 993 Turbo. Then I drove one, and I understood you will never be able to use 50% of the capacity of the car on a regular road. It handles great, the turbo charged engine (2 turbos) is terrific. Then due to $$$ constraints I jumped back to the 964 Turbo 3.3. Nothing to do with the 993 TT. Very brutal (less than 930), but it justs drinks the fuel like the tank is infinite
Anyway I am still with my 964 C2 Coupe, no decision taken yet !
To be sure, drive the 2 cars and make your choice ...
Old 03-11-2005, 02:20 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
IMO all the turbos are great but if you crave a car that requires the most out of its driver, delivers the highest level of excitement and fun and looks the hottest their is no other than the 964 Turbos. The 993TT's and 996TT's are awesome machines but have lost most of what IMO the Porsche Turbo is all about. They are smooth and docile and deliver great power and handling but if your not tracking the car you need to break the sound barrier to bring the car to the level were you feel you are driving a beast The 996TT's have all the creature comforts and to me feel like I am driving something other than a Porsche. The build quality of the newer cars is nothing compared to the earlier cars and with the glut of 996TT's out there the value is dropping on used examples all the time. If you want a daily driver that gives you all the bells and whistles then the 996TT is for you, otherwise for weekend fun or if you like cars that challenge you every day the 964 is the way to go. Just my .02.
Very well said Anthony, except the part about lumping the 993TT with the 996TT. After all, we are still air cooled.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by adsc4s
Very well said Anthony, except the part about lumping the 993TT with the 996TT. After all, we are still air cooled.

Fair enough, but you noticed I was careful and phrased it as such. Separating the 993TT's from this comment

"The 996TT's have all the creature comforts and to me feel like I am driving something other than a Porsche. The build quality of the newer cars is nothing compared to the earlier cars and with the glut of 996TT's out there the value is dropping on used examples all the time."

Old 03-11-2005, 06:02 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

with the glut of 996TT's out there the value is dropping on used examples all the time.
964T 3.3L < 964T 3.6L < 993TT < 996TT

Their price is dropping and that is natural given the steepness of depreciation curves in the early years. But I think they still fit the trend. The upper end of the 993TT market should pretty well define the bottom of 996TT market.

Unfortuately, the price of our 964 Turbos is also dropping although not quite as fast. Despite the changes which have taken the 996 turbos away from the original designs, I still want a GT2 Clubsport.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:21 PM
John S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 3.3. I've got headers and a 1 bar spring, so that makes a difference, but the car is _fun_ when you stand on it. Plus it has that menacing look - my fiancee sees it as a "man's car" and my 993 she calls pretty.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 840 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by JBH
I'll take one of each
Old 03-11-2005, 07:28 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by JBH

Their price is dropping and that is natural given the steepness of depreciation curves in the early years. But I think they still fit the trend. The upper end of the 993TT market should pretty well define the bottom of 996TT market.Unfortuately, the price of our 964 Turbos is also dropping although not quite as fast.
Are you saying were a dying breed? There will always be faster cars, cars that handle better and sorry to say there are even a few cars that are finally looking; shall I say equally as purposeful for both track and street. I think there are enough of us out there who keep the few remaining nice examples, nice. If you look at pricing 2 and 4 years back the slope is not so steep and I think these cars should for the most part stay stable for the next 3-5 years. Nicer examples and rare models bringing a little more and the less pristine cars dropping equally in value. I may buy additional cars that meet different needs but for me right now I wouldn't trade my car for a brand new 996TT. Just my preference. But then again TNK.

Originally Posted by JBH
Despite the changes which have taken the 996 turbos away from the original designs,I still want a GT2 Clubsport.
Now we are talking something a bit different I once made a big mistake and agreed to my wifes demands on frivolous spending. All cars must accommodate "the 3 of us". So no GT2 amongst others for me.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:52 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

One difference I have noted from the 964T to the 996TT is the gear box. I drove the 2004 996TT cab and the gear box is incredible! So smooth and positive. That said a day doesn't go by that I receive compliments from a perfect stranger in traffic. Pick the one you enjoy through the seat of your pants and drive knowing you are also making someone elses day by putting it on the road for all to share....Porsche.......There is no substitute !
Old 03-12-2005, 12:53 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are you saying were a dying breed?
Nah - not at all. I think there will always be some demand for the 964T. As some said earlier, it has a unique look that represents the culmination of the 911 Turbo. It is timeless styling that will always look modern no matter what design changes happen in the future. There are quite a few Ferraris that look as good today as they did when they were released 30+ years ago.

I once made a big mistake and agreed to my wifes demands on frivolous spending.
Charlie is a lucky man to have a wife that appreciates P-cars as much as him. My wife has come to accept it as long as she gets the things she wants. Fortunately, here interests are a lot less expensive than mine.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:45 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JBH
Charlie is a lucky man to have a wife that appreciates P-cars as much as him.
Hey, when we were just dating she only knew what color her car was. She's come a long way!

That said, she now has real car opinions. For example, to replace our aging 4Runner she does not want a Cayenne. She'd prefer a small Audi/BMW station wagon + an early 70's 911 to the cost of a Cayenne V6... Oh, the problems in life one must cope with...

(Btw, my wife has more posts on Rennlist than I do!)

Quick Reply: Please help compare 964 Turbo vs. 996 Turbo