Fuel Enrichment

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 04:28 PM
summax
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Enrichment

Hello Everyone

I am interested of adding a Fuel Enrichment system, and a full bay Intercooler for my 94 3.6 turbo. I heard that Andial Racing in Santa Ana, and Lee Rice in Southern Ca both are specialized in doing such modifications.
My question is which one of them doing a better job. I understand that both of them are well qualified and have years of experiences, but I do not know who to choose from.
Is this fuel enrichment upgrade will make a significant improve in performance ?

Any advice or input will be so appreciated.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:59 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Go to www.turbo911.com and check out the forum.
The moderator Brent has done all tests possible, there are other ways to achive fuel enrichment than buying the Andial and Rice system.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,329 Posts

How much power are you looking to achieve? I was told the 3.6 Turbos will not benefit with the fuel enrichment unless you take it to the next level. Are you planning on opening her up and making serious changes, otherwise you may be spending a lot only to set yourself up to go farther with no current change in power until you commit to the remaining 9 yards.

BTW is your car a Flachbau? I see you have the turbo S ducts.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:06 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 112 Posts

I would agree with the above comments. I have the Andial system in my car, but recently had my fuel head rebuilt by ImagineAuto. The new fuel head did a better job (according to the dyno), so the andial is sitting in the car turned off for now. In terms of the IC, I had mine modified by Garresttson (Andial), and have been very happy with that piece, after I got it to fit back in the car! The neck was not round when it came back, and I had to have a guy cut it off, and build a custom neck and mounting points so that it would stay sealed at the throttle body. All in all, the IC was a good move, but there are now better solutions for the fuel enrichment. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:24 PM
summax
Advanced

Thank you all for your responds.

Cobalt, of course i want to squeeze many ponies out of my 3.6 and at the same time can pass strict CA smog as well. Next level, you meant: racing cam, 3.2 intake, k29 turbo or even twin turbos?
For now, i want to make some small change to the car, one step at a time.
Oh, since you asked my car is not a a Flachbau, but it does have a real Turbo S rear fender duct.
Bogey, what's the fuelhead? you meant the fuel distributor? If you have a chance would you post some picture of your Garrettson IC? I live close-by Andial, so it would be easy for me to check some of their products. Impressive #s you got. That's some #s i want to achieve.

Have a good day
Old 02-19-2005, 02:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

If your car is currently stock my recommendations would be first a nice set of headers. Then I would upgrade to the K27 HF better than the K29. I would increase the spring to 1.0 bar and have it tuned properly.

I think you will find this to be a significant improvement over the stock configuration. You may think about a short shift kit also. My car is done like this and at 430HP it is quite a rocket. My car still has the cats and passes smog requirements here in Jersey. I don't see why it should not pass in CA. In fact before the HF turbo and the 1.0b bar spring my car was a CA car with the headers and it passed without any problems.

To me these are all necessary upgrades needed. If you plan on taking it further you have the basics in place. I don't think you will need fuel enrichment unless you go well beyond this point and if you really don't mind spending the money I would go directly to EFI. From there the sky is the limit, although I have no idea where you will be able to use that much power on the street.

Best of Luck on your quest for more power.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:01 AM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

summax,

I went with the ANDIAL "s" conversion and was told that the 3.6t did not need the fuel enrich system. The car runs amazing and has shown no signs of needing addtl enrichment on the dyno. The CO's are set at 2.0 or 2.5%. The fuel pressure was increased and the CIS and injectors were thouroughly cleaned and reconditioned.

The ANDIAL IC fit well after removing the plastic piece from the rear spoiler. I'm sure the IC made a difference but I have no idea what the intake temp and pressure decrease actually is.

Can you post some pics of your car? Who did the "s" duct body work?

Bogey,

Wow! Stephen really did some great work to achieve those numbers. What did he do? What kind of dyno did they use? Congrats!
Old 02-20-2005, 05:36 PM
summax
Advanced

Thank you very much for all the great infos.
Anthony, what kind of IC are you using?

Bogey, i have posted some pictures in your last post.
The previous owner had the turbo S duct installed by Perfect Power in Illinois, MI.
Would you post a few pictures of your IC, please.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:37 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Currently my IC is the stock 964 unit. It works well enough for street use. I think I should do a 100 cell racing cat before I do an IC. I too am curious about L8apex's IC.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:17 PM
summax
Advanced

I can't wait to see his Intercooler too. Have you see his latest picture posted?
Old 02-21-2005, 12:12 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can spend your money on alot better things than a new intercooler. The C2 unit is very good just as it is. Headers, turbo, cams, fuel distributor, and transmission gear ratios are all much better performance mods for the money.

I went with the ANDIAL "s" conversion and was told that the 3.6t did not need the fuel enrich system. The car runs amazing and has shown no signs of needing addtl enrichment on the dyno. The CO's are set at 2.0 or 2.5%. The fuel pressure was increased and the CIS and injectors were thouroughly cleaned and reconditioned.
The issue of enrichment really depends on how much boost you want to run. None of the turbos need enrichment if you stay with stock boost.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:11 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes agreed, the bottleneck of extra power is not from the intercooler esp how much they are- but I know one reason people like them is the look- theres no deyning that.
My car has the fuel dist flow rate increased and thats just having someone machine it, so you rally dont need an extra device.
But headers, a better muffler & 1 Bar spring I would say are the most common and best upgrades.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:06 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Summax: I will get a picture of the IC posted in the next day or two. It came back black like the stock unit, but it had been deepened by a few inches. The welds were very nice. I had mine powdercoated silver when I was cleaning up the engine bay a bit last winter.

L8Apex: Stephen pretty well went to town minus EFI. The car was lowered with a full coil-over suspension, RUF sway bars/strut brace, FIKSE FM10's, TechArt ducts with fog lights, RUF splitter in the front and a short shift kit. I lightened the car with GT3 seats, RS door panels, removed about half the sound deadening foam (not on purpose, just a mess trying to replace the carpets), and a carbon fiber hood. We put on GHL headers, Fabspeed exhaust, a TIAL BOV, TIAL 962 wastegate, the Garretson IC, open air intake, and a HF k27 Turbo unit(awesome piece). The car has an HKS EVC unit, and the Andial enrichment (turned off after the fuel head work). Inside the motor we did all new valves (ouch), guides, head studs, rod bolts, springs, bumped the compression, SC cams and put a 5 angle grind on the heads. I run 1.0 BAR on the street, .95 at DE events (lowest I can get it to set on the HKS after the HF turbo went on). I had some clutch problems after moving to the RS light weight clutch, but ImagineAuto put together some set-up with a few GT2 parts that is holding up very well. I will get a few pic's posted. Next step is the C2 gears if I don't sell it first.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:08 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

I forgot, the numbers are off an MD dyno at about 85 degrees at 1.0BAR.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Wow! Sounds like Stephen really went to town. Why are you thinking of selling after all that work?

BTW care to give your opinion on the CTS-V?

Quick Reply: Fuel Enrichment