Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Seemingly stupid question.................

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 04:59 PM
BJJones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seemingly stupid question.................

Hi Guys

I am having a problem with jacking my car up................yes know.

The car is an 88 930, fitted with 965 bumpers and sill trims. The car has also been lowered considerably.

I canno't get my trolley jack under the car to locate on anything substantial enough to jack it up, the jacking points are covered by the 965 sill trims. I know I could remove these in the workshop to allow jacking, but what if I get a puncture out on the road?

Any suggestions, or even well thought out **** taking would be much appreciated!

The reason I want to jack the car up is to check the offset on the cup wheels, they do not seem to fill the arches as I remember they did on my last car. The fronts are fitted without the standard cars spacers, is this correct?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I dont think its a stupid question- theres alot more to it than just jacking it up, esp on lowered ones.
You can either buy a super low jack- which is v expensive but nice and easy or you can buy 2 little mini ramps like cheese wedges and drive each front or rear wheel on to to get clearance. But if you have a jack cover - one with a small nipple to fit in the hole you can jack the car up from behind underneath the rear wishbones- theres a hole underthere. actually you have a 930 so i dont know if they exist on yours.
try that anyway
cheers
Old 02-14-2005, 09:27 AM
BJJones
Instructor

Really appreciate the reply, I hadnt thought of driving it up onto somthing..............seems obvious now, will also look into the jacking point on the wishbone and a low jack.

Thanks very much.

Barry
Old 02-14-2005, 11:47 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 839 Likes on 423 Posts

Having a nice, low floor jack is really awesome...and safer too!
Old 02-14-2005, 01:09 PM
BJJones
Instructor

Thanks again guys, I have found a lovely low slung trolley jack after your advice for only £140 Gpb, I think it will fit in the boot (trunk) as well so it is ideal.

The siddle height is only 80mm when fully dropped, I am sure this will be ideal but will have one last check before I order it.

One last question, what do you guys jack against if you are not using a trolley jack adapter in the proper jacking point? I have only jacked a stripped out shell that weighed significantly less than a full car, Iused the mounting point of the front cross member. Is this ok for a fully loaded car?

Also where do you jack on the rear of the car.

The link for anyone interested in the UK is below:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=123117

Quick Reply: Seemingly stupid question.................