964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Intercooler Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 11:45 AM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intercooler Question

Can anyone identify what company makes this intercooler and if it's better than the stock unit? Thanks.

Last edited by iborroel; 02-05-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,361 Posts

From the looks of it, it resembles the Koklin unit. I am assuming by the photo that you own a 87ish 930. If that is the case it looks substantially larger then the factory 930 IC. I don't believe it is significantly larger then the 964 turbo unit.

I met someone this weekend who had an 87 930 with an identical unit. He was running a 1.0bar spring and felt it was working just fine.

Wish I could help you out better.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:49 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

cobalt: Thanks for the reply. I don't know if it's a Kokeln unit or not. It doesn't actually say it on the intercooler like others that I have seen. I think the previous owner but if from Zucz (sp?). I was trying to find their website but couldn't. It isn't my car yet but I am contemplating purhasing the car. By the way it's a 1986 930.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I was only of by a year, not bad.

I have been told that Kokelin manufactures units without their name and sells them for distribution. Usually the shop puts a small plaque or sticker on it and calls it their own.

Being a 930 the overall size appears to be much larger than the factory unit. Do you know what other changes have been made? Do you have any service history they will let you review?
Old 08-18-2004, 02:52 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

cobalt: Well if it is a Kokeln manufactured intercooler that is a big plus. I don't think the car is using a 1 bar spring. If so I really need to find out. I know that it has a K27 but whether it is a HF I am not sure. I have asked to take a look at the records. The car is on cosignment and I have been told that he can't let me see the receipts unless the owner agrees to it. I am going in to talk to him today. The car claims 400 HP but without a dyno and no A/F ratios I need a little more assurance. Any advice on what I should do about looking at the records before even trying to purchase the car? If I move forward I will be getting a PPI and then the shop doing this will be able to look at the records. Since the shop really knows their 930's I am sure he can tell me about what has been done to the car. I just would like to take a look at the records before going to a PPI. I might see something that could save me wasting my money on a PPI.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:13 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I understand were your coming from.

I believe the K27 HF turbos can be detected by the production plate. The regular K27 turbos production plate had impression stamped markings, part number, model etc. on them. My HF turbo came with vibro etched information.

Obtaining the records can sometimes be a difficult thing. Many people are willing to supply the records after the purchase has gone through, therefore requiring a very good PPI. I would not purchase the car without a leak down and compression test. You may wish to push harder and demand that the purchase is contingent on a complete review of the records, however you may offend or find you have closed yourself out of the deal.

The individual I spoke to this weekend claimed the same Hp out of an 87 with the same intercooler, stock K27 and nothing more than a 1.0 bar spring and fuel head modifications. I am a bit skeptical considering I am running 430Hp with the same mods, HF turbo, no fuel head mods, B&B headers and am starting with a 3.6 L motor which started with 360Hp to begin with.

I would think unless there were internal changes made 400Hp sounds a bit ambitious.

Good Luck
Old 08-18-2004, 03:18 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

cobalt: The PPI will have a leak down and compression test done. It does have an aftermarket exhaust but without looking at the records I don't know which brand for sure. I feel like dynoing the car as well to see if it does make the claimed 400 HP. I would have a stipulation saying that if the car passed PPI and had 400 to the crank then I would buy the car at the agreed upon price. If the PPI passed but the dyno didn't I would stipulate they bring the price down or reimburse me for the dyno time and move on to another car. If the owner is confident then I don't see whay he wouldn't agree to this. Would this be asking too much?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Particularly if I were selling the car I would have no problems supplying the prospective buyer with the dyno sheet to prove the cars value. Unless he is just boasting 400hp. If he truly does not know and has limited knowledge of what is in the car I would be concerned.

I would start by asking to see the dyno sheets and if not than a complete list of upgrades is not unreasonable to ask for. If they are going to begrudge you on these simple things then I would just say, thanks but no thanks.

You may have the car dynoed during the PPI, however I doubt if they would agree to reimburse you if the car fell short. If the car is within 25 hp than I don't think you could argue. Besides a few less Hp may cut .1 off your times but it should not make much difference in the overall driving pleasure.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:37 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

cobalt: I am going to stop by during lunch and talk to the dealership. Thank you so much for the help and advice. When I bought my 968 I knew what to look for in the car since I have onwed three 944s and still have my 944 turbo track car. With the 968 the records were handed to me without hesitation. It made everything go that much smoother and quicker. I'll let you know what happenes. Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:46 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

cobalt: Well I did a little digging and I remember that the intercooler and turbo were bought from Zucz which is now Evolution Motorsports. I looked at their website and now know that the intercooler is a Garretson (was told this on the 911 turbo forum as well) and the turbo is a K27 7200. I know this isn't as good as a K27 HF but is it still a decent upgrade that I can change later?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Sounds good,

The K27-7200 is no slouch. Very nice upgrade for that car. The HF's advantage is mostly top end and may not be necessary depending on your driving habits.

Garretson makes sense. Would be my second guess. They both are very similar in looks and I believe are comparable in displacement. Sounds like you have the basic upgrades in place and unless the PPI shows something wrong you could have a fun car to drive.

Lots of Luck, keep us informed.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:03 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

cobalt: Thanks again for all your help. It's good to know the K27 isn't a slouch. This is my daily driver so if I don't have the top end right now it's fine but I would like to have it later on since I do like to get going every once in a while. So is 400 HP more reasonable now that we know this information. Remember it has an aftermarket exhuast as well. I just found out that the intercooler is a Spearco and flows 500 CI. Is this still good? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iborroel,
It's not a Kokeln unit which has a 642CI volume. It's made by Spearco and has a volume close to 500CI. IA, Powerhaus, Evoms al sell this intercooler.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Hard to tell,

many factors come into play. I would assume 370 minimum, all depends on how well it is tuned.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:10 PM
iborroel
Three Wheelin'

Sameer: Is this intercooler still an improvemnt over stock?

Quick Reply: Intercooler Question