Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Concours results, multiple posts

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 01:51 AM
eyue
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your car looks great, I wish mine coud be as good looking as your.....Good Job....!!!!
Old 08-10-2004, 07:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

I am sure yours does. All it takes is about 60 hours of elbow grease and patience and you will get there. Mine didn't look anywhere near this until I spent the time. But then again what matters most is how you feel behind the wheel.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:58 AM
eyue
Racer

Cobalt, I totally agree with you.. It's all the matters most behind the wheels, that why I recently installed a set of Gemballa H&R suspension kits. The handling has improved a lot, but the aav is out of order and the car is still with the dealer services..
Old 08-11-2004, 07:00 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not surprised at your score, the car looked great at Schooley's Mtn.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Hey Anthony
Amazing colour i love that blue!
Im really impressed how you keep your turbo in pristine condtiion.
How do you cope with stone chips on the rear fenders? - mine has sufered alot from that!
Cheers
Miles
Old 08-11-2004, 10:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Damian,

Thanks, Sorry I did not see you there. Everything was kind of a blur that day.

Miles,

I have some sections of the car covered with the clear 3M plastic product. It is virtually undetectable and saves the paint from damage, the rest is a tribute to the Cobalt Blue paint. It touches up better then any paint I have dealt with. I spent a fair amount of time touching up, sanding down and then polishing. 90% of all chips fade into the finish and are relatively undetectable. It was worth the effort.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Thanks Anthony,
How exactly do you do that-sorry ive probably asked a question that needs great detail!.... so did you use a totch up pen for the chips? how far did you sand it down?
I would like to fix my chips but i dont really have too much experience in bodywork and have been affriad to make it worse esp on our cars!
Thanks
Miles
Old 08-11-2004, 11:32 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Anthony, I didn't stay long, my 9 year old was restless. Besides, I had Raj's Turbo S replica, so I was having more fun driving than walking around. The only person I really spoke to was a Mr Carson, who had a 964 C2 coupe in a nice shade of blue in the Concours-I work with his daughter.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:35 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Miles,

Very important question. The paint is thin so you must be very careful and most importently patient. I clean the chipped area with a special fiberglass brush designed to clean all the dirt and wax out first. Then I use standard Porsche touch up paint with a very fine brush and dab it ever so carefully just to fill the chip. ( larger spots I use a paper match end to dab larger amounts of paint) Sometimes several dabs are required or repeat applications allowing to dry thoroughly between coats. I use a series of very fine sand paper (400- down to 1500) and a small sanding block (rubber) to sand only the excess paint down to a little above flush. Be very careful not to touch the surrounding paint. I then find the Blue Magic does a wonderful job at removing the built up high areas and smooths it down flush. Usually there is a small area that is recessed. This I fill in with the clear coat allow several days to dry and sand as above. You will need to Polish thoroughly to remove the fine scratches created by the sanding then wax.

Start with the least obvious chips and practice. Depending on the color depends on how good the end result will be.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Damian,

I saw you pulling away in Raj's car. I thought it was Raj and I was hoping to talk to him to see how the new engine worked out. (must be a real beast now, but then again my car is up by 60hp since rutts hut too). Mr Carson was parked next to me (I believe) very nice man and his car was in great shape considering 133k miles and I agree a great color. He said it was only made for the California market. Small world huh.

My 6 year old was a bit cranky by the time the day was done.

BTW I have seen your gorgeous car around Chatham a couple of times. I am in my BMW so you do not recognize me.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Thanks alot Anthony! Before i chatted to you I didnt dream of attempting it and now thanks to your advice i will. When i get a sec i will try some of the consicpous bits first and have a go. Mines black on black... ill add my pic soon.
Cheers Miles
Old 08-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobalt,
For the love of God man how many photo's can one person take of your senior citizen blue car?

Congratulations on your second place.

But lets call this what it really is. This is just another method by which you are able to post gratitious photo's of your grandma blue turbo.

Car looks fantastic though I must admit.
P.S. I recently tried to buy a 69 Boss 302 that looked almost like cobalt blue. Don't tell anyone.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Thanks Les,

I figure if I post enough pictures of my car eventually you will break down and buy something in Blue.A Boss 302 in blue must look great. I see know why your brother-in-law enjoys cleaning your 94 S and showing it. It was more fun then I anticipated. Although now I think I concern myself too much with the weather before taking her out. I am not so sure this is a good thing. Cleaning is good but driving is better.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Anthony, with the genuine Turbo S motor (John Milledge did the head, I think) with a better turbo and the Turbo RS tranny the thing is scary fast. I can't imagine all that hp with the motor in the rear, like yours. Anyway, later that day I blew his clutch-the one weak point, but he has a genuine Turbo S clutch en route from Germany. He bought a speed yellow mo30 coupe for a daily driver, so he's not stranded!

Quick Reply: Concours results, multiple posts