964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Shaving rain gutters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shaving rain gutters?

Have any of you guys shaved of your rain gutters on the roof just like the Ruf CTR1? If I do so, will it weaken the rigidity of the car? Any disadvantages?
Old 07-27-2004, 10:44 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Do you drive your car in the rain? I would think if you remove them the rain would come pouring down into the car when you open the door.

Could look nice and makes it much easier to polish. I thought you just painted your car last year. Do you want to go through all of that again?

let us know what you decide.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:58 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone make rain gutter "fillers" that would insert into the rain gutters and effectively remove the air brake effect? I thought I remembered RUF selling these, but like 10 years ago. I'm not about to shave my gutters, but I'd use "gutter fillers" on track days...
Old 07-27-2004, 02:14 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gutter Filler performance products has a set of CF gutter fillers in their last catalog $199.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:31 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Ruf and FVD make and offer a kit that glues into the A-post rain gutters, (claiming to) effectively reducing wind resistance and improving aerodynamics and top speed as well as reducing wind noise.

Best regards

Emilios
Old 07-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Sameer
Race Car

Anthony,
Some say to do it and some say not to so I'm just going to contact Ruf Germany and see what they have to say and take it from there. Will keep you'll posted.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:06 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

If you talk to RUF, ask them about the gutter fillers. Perhaps they have specs that will tell us the Cd difference between normal gutters, gutters "filled in", and gutters "shaved off". I'd be curious to know if there are real aerodynamic advantages over, say, 120 mph.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:07 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

RUF never discloses anything except your bill..... I got my inserts from RUF. Cost was $125. They are nice urethane and fit well. A little paint and they are in and pretty much invisible...
Old 07-29-2004, 07:04 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Bob,

do you have any close-up pictures of them installed for us to see?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:45 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
RUF never discloses anything except your bill..... I got my inserts from RUF. Cost was $125. They are nice urethane and fit well. A little paint and they are in and pretty much invisible...
Is it basically a permanent installation?

I, too, would love to see pictures.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:32 AM
TUNER

They look great on the car. I would not cut the rain gutters on the car because once they are cut off you cannot race with the car. I cut them off on
a race car I built 8 years ago and then was forced to put them back on. I replaced them with fibreglass ones the total job cost me about $2,000.00
The car looked great but what a pain in the A$$.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:38 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Sameer,

To answer your question, yes it will weaken the car. The gutter (the seem of the pieces) adds strength to the car. As stated earlier, the car will also drip rain into the car if you drive in the rain and have your windows open. Or when you open the door.

On the plus side, it's one of the nicest (cosmetic) changes you can make. The look of the add on drip rain filler is now where as nice. They do offer a wind drag reduction but they don't look as nice. Both will reduce the wind noise.

Michael
Old 08-04-2004, 11:35 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by TUNER
They look great on the car. I would not cut the rain gutters on the car because once they are cut off you cannot race with the car.
Why can't you race without them?
Old 08-05-2004, 11:23 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Guys,
I wrote to Ruf Germany and this is what they had to say:

"For your 930 BTR, we are happy to offer the following information:

The roof of your Porsche is made up of three metal sheets. One over the roof, one over the rear fenders (the C-Pillar), and one along the side, which goes inside the car. These three plates were originally hammered together at the Porsche factory to form the rain gutters. They are not bound together in any other way. Through our gutter conversion, the area where the three pieces fold together is cut off, and then all three are welded together. Welding of the plates greatly increases their strength, and definitely makes the body much more stiff all around and along the roof line. Cutting, welding, and repainting are the only processes undergone in this conversion. No other parts or procedures need to be assembled or carried out.

Our Rain Gutter Removal can only be performed at our factory in Pfaffenhausen, Germany."
Old 08-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Sameer,

That's very interesting. It's exactly the opposite I was told by the body shop I asked to do my car.

Michael

Quick Reply: Shaving rain gutters?