964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Modified Merc SL 55 AMG vs Carrera 4 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 12:36 PM
C4TT
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Modified Merc SL 55 AMG vs Carrera 4 Turbo

This past Sunday, a beautiful red Mercedes AMG pulled up next to me at a traffic light on an open 2 lane road. I immediately noticed suspension work, 19" HRE rims with color matched centers, wrapped up in 335s!!
By far the nicest SL I've seen to date. Not really my style, but very attractive.
My window was down, so I signaled the driver, who was actually closing his windows due to my loud exhaust bass. I quickly asked him who had done the work. He reopened his tinted window casually and shared his stats. Here's how it went:

SL guy: "I built the car myself..."
Me: "Looks quite nice... You did an excellent job, and it sounds great... Is it a 500 or a 55?"
SL guy: "55... (Grinning proudly over his $150K toy) Yeah I've done the supercharger pulley, full exhaust, and well... pretty much everything you can do..." (He looked quite confident, and nearly buffed his fingernails on his shirt at this point as he was leaning like Jay Z would in a rap video.
I very humbly replied: "wow!" with a thumbs up.

We both looked ahead, as the light went green...

Now, as I was blowing smoke in his rear (figuratively of course), I aslo clicked the boost onto "HI", as in, "later David Banard, and 'HI' Mr. Hulk...

We both started off calmly, which was good because I was not about to launch my car Mustang style...
As I shifted into 2nd gear, I suddenly saw the SL's bonnet lift up, as thunderous bass simultaneously echoed from behind.. That was my call sign, and I was ready for such an event, but had to wait for boost pressure to initiate liftoff...

By the time boost hit, which feels and sounds like you've stepped on a lion's tail, the red Merc had already gained about 1.5 car lengths on me...
I didn't know what to expect at this point, but I'm sure the Mercedes driver assumed it was all over at this point...

Then it happened...

By the top of 2nd gear, his pulling had stopped, and I'm certain he nearly needed diapers in the moments that followed...

This time my nerves did not get the best of me, as I avoided the rev limiter, catching 3rd gear with finness. At this point, the *** end of the white frog was glued to the tarmac, bug eyes lifted in the air, as I tore by the red SL with furious determination. Over 5000rpms, the wastegates open, increasing the roar of motor to GT car levels. Usually this is accompanied with a blue/orange flame which spirals out of the single round tail pipe.

His left ear must have been ringing for sure that night!!!

I put a solid 2 cars lenths and counting on him by the time I hit 4th gear.
I dropped the anchor at this point, as the SL caught up to me with the driver's head out the window..
I was waving my finger at him, like a father would to a child reaching for a forbidden object. I clearly had a huge grin splashed on my face at this point, as adrenaline streamed through my every vein.

SL guy: "Holy @#%$!.... All I know is I heard a turbo in there!!!"
Me:"You actually heard 2...."

We both gave each other a friendly wave, as we went our ways...

My car is no longer for sale...
Old 07-13-2004, 03:28 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice story!
Old 07-13-2004, 04:27 PM
C4TT
Pro

Why thank you Sir...

G
Old 07-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C4 TT,

Way to go man. One thing for sure, no more Jay Z style for him..hahaha.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:18 PM
C4TT
Pro

No big pimpin for him, especially after needing to change his shorts...
Old 07-15-2004, 03:09 AM
steaditim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C4TT

Do you have pics to share of your setup?
Old 07-15-2004, 12:44 PM
C4TT
Pro

Here are a few...
Old 07-15-2004, 12:46 PM
C4TT
Pro

another...
Old 07-15-2004, 12:49 PM
C4TT
Pro

The happy switch on the left...
Old 07-15-2004, 01:00 PM
C4TT
Pro

Last one
Old 07-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Garibaldi
Instructor

Wow, that read like a torrid romance novel, I was parched after reading it.

Isnt "Boost" that high proteing drink that old people use to supplement their diet with? Why do you have that on your license plate? You old or something?

I knew you wouldnt sell it, and just think, you were condsidering a Lotus- of all things.

Oh, and that was me in the Merc, I let you win. My celly was blowing up right when I pulled out on you and it was my girl calling to see what we were doing for dinner, so I had to take the call, thats why I backed out of it and let you pass. You know not only is it dangerous to talk on the cell phone while operating a vehicle, but with the new laws that have been passed, I didnt want to get a ticket for not using a headset.

Last edited by Garibaldi; 07-15-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:20 PM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

You must sell that car now! (To me ) Great story. I luv sleepers (wolf in sheeps clothing)! My wife has a 1980 VW Rabbit Convertible that was built by Callaway awhile back, AWD 2.2L turbo 19psi and looks stock. It has bruised many of un-expecting egos!
Old 07-15-2004, 08:54 PM
C4TT
Pro

Who is this Garribaldi character?
Just kidding Christian... Yeah no Lotus for me...

L8Apex,
Why would you want my car when you have one of the hottest cars on this forum!!!
Black 3.6... Bad Boy all the way...
Old 07-16-2004, 10:30 AM
Sameer
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C4TT,
Thats a beautiful looking motor you have there. How much did you spend for the engine conversion/hardware? Protomotive is good stuff and their company goes a long way back.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:39 PM
C4TT
Pro

Originally posted by Sameer
C4TT,
Thats a beautiful looking motor you have there. How much did you spend for the engine conversion/hardware? Protomotive is good stuff and their company goes a long way back.
Sameer,
The fellow who owned the car before me did the work, so I just bought the car a few bucks over the regular price of 90 C4!!!
The Stage 4 kit costs around $38K USD... Ouch...
But once you are ripping through the gears, the pain of cost is melted away I suppose

Quick Reply: Modified Merc SL 55 AMG vs Carrera 4 Turbo