Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Fuel accumulator advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2024 | 11:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I have to assume some crud got into the WUR and kept the pressure too low. Tapping on it has surprisingly helped. I have been getting the car ready of the Bridge event this coming weekend and want everything perfect so I pulled the I/C again and tested my pressures.

This time the pressures were within spec. It was calculated 21 Degrees C with pressures at 3.2 bar so within range. Now when cold the car starts instantly turn key and it fires up, no cranking as it needed before. Pressure drops were within range and she seems to have no hot start problems. I did have one strange event. Car started showed AFR's in the 15 range when idling and when revving dropped to 12's but not tested under load yet. I tuned the car off and started it again and i was seeing 19's? I tuned it off again and started it and back to 15's. It only happened the one time but something I will look into when I drop the engine this winter.

Meanwhile, I also found some sloppy work done by an independent years ago. I don't believe it has anything to do with my issues but I hate sloppy work. A couple of loose hose clamps I was surprised to see and some of the exhaust nuts were beyond loose. I fixed the slight oil leak. The oil feed to the turbo was weeping slightly. It would appear they did not have the proper gasket when installing the K27HF turbo and used 574 instead. I had no way of knowing this without removing the bumper. The nuts were nylocks on a hot turbo so they seemed as though they no longer held and they felt just hand tightened. It took me nearly 1.5 hours to remove the old 574. I didn't want to get any into the opening so it made it much harder to do. I did recall 574 will break down with new 574 is applied. I happened to have an old tube lying around and applied some liberally. It slowly softened the top layer allowing me to remove a little at a time vs trying to carve it off with a sharp tool. This was a 10 min job made into a long project for no reason.

Oil slowly weeping.

Why?

What a royal PITA. I guess just pump them out whatever way they can. This is why I do my own work. Sadly the shop is highly regarded by so many.

getting the backside was work.

If it wasn't for the plug the job would have been much easier.

As clean as i can get it.

New factory locking nuts & gasket installed.

I also found that this unit was bad.

The original looked good but had broken at the mounting point. I was considering trying to repair it but plunked down the $100+ for a new one.

original one

COuldn't tell it was broken till I touched it.

The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (09-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Fuel accumulator advice?