964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Have to sell my car

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Ian964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to sell my car

It saddens me to do it but I have to let my car go. I'm getting married in September and it doesn't really make sense to keep it anymore. I would keep it if I could afford it.

Here are the stats.

1991 C2 Turbo
46,XXX miles
Guards Red
Tan Interior
Paint is good, interior is good

45,000 mile service completed a few months ago.
Light Weight Flywheel and clutch done about 8,000 miles ago.

I have most of the service history, not 100% probably like 85-90%

Mods are as follows

K-29 Turbo
B&B Exhaust
Muffler bypass (no muffler but still has the cat)
Lightweight flywheel/clutch
18 Inch Turbo Twist wheels
H&R lowering springs
Techart exhaust tips
Strut Brace

Around 380HP/380Trq

Rear tires are less than 2 months old, fronts are about 50%

I'm asking 42,000. What do you think of that price?? Is it out of line?

Old 06-15-2004, 11:07 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Price doesn't seem out of line, but you have to realize with these cars you have to find the right buyer, and it can take time.

Good luck.....
Old 06-16-2004, 12:57 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes - these cars require the right buyer at the right time. Zero mod cars usually command the higher price. If yours was all stock, you could probably get that kind of money within three to four months.

All those mods, no matter how desirable, tend to undermine its market value. Buyers unfamiliar with the car or the technology tend to look at those changes and conclude the longevity of the engine has been compromised. This means only the most knowledgeable are going to see those upgrades as....upgrades.

My view: a quick sale requires subtracting $5 - $10K from that asking price. If you have the patience, you might get $40K. As a reference point, two years ago it took me four months to sell my car (similar mods perfect PPI - 52K miles) for $36K and in the end, the buyer backed out. Obviously, I decided to keep it.

Congratulations and good luck with the new direction in your life
Old 06-16-2004, 07:36 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 1991 964 Turbo Pricing

I'd say $36-40K depending on the condition, the buyer & seller's level of motivation, the value of the mods to the buyer, etc. It can be hard at times to sell a car as a private party- other times not. Plan on at least 45-90 days to get the high price (if you can indeed get it), and perhaps 30-60 to get the low side price. In the end, it is all about advertising, condition and price. Just my opinion.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

The biggest problem is getting someone to come see the car and actually sit in the drivers seat.

When I sold my modified 79 SC last September I was asking an outrageous $22k for it. I had numerous responses but it was difficult to get the people to actually come and look at the car. I knew that once the people saw and drove it, it would sell. Well needless to say after several months and numerous people making determinations about the car prior to seeing it I was beginning to give up. Suddenly, one day, a local man said he would come and take a look. He drove the car and after a couple of days talking about it he bought it for $21.5k. He would not buy the car unless I budged at least $500.00 on the price.

I am currently trying to sell my 74 914 and it is even harder then selling the SC. Although you know the car is worth every penny, trying to convince other people is not so easy and will take time to find the right person who wants what you have. I always feel that no matter what you set the price at most people will not buy the car unless they feel they have gotten a great deal or were able to negotiate you down in price. Set your price above what you want and be prepared to come down to or below the price you want otherwise you will have a very hard time selling the car.

Sorry to hear you may be leaving us. Just remember one thing if your wife to be is not a big fan of Porsches it may be very hard to convince her to let you buy another later.

I was looking at the latest issue of Panorama this morning and the few 91's in the book with similar miles (completely stock) were asking closer to $50k.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Ian964
Pro

I will definatly be back. The wife to be likes the porsche its just a rather large burden to us right now, the payment plus maintance and we can use the money that I get from selling it twards a down payment on a house.

I told her I would sell it only if I could get one later in life and also that next spring I can get a shifter kart.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:37 PM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Ian964
The wife to be likes the porsche its just a rather large burden to us right now, the payment plus maintance and we can use the money that I get from selling it twards a down payment on a house.
Ian,

tell your wife-to-be that you can sleep in and drive the Porsche, but you cannot drive the house..

Best of luck with the sale of the car and

Best regards

Emilios
Old 06-17-2004, 12:45 AM
Tonytheturbo
Intermediate

Ian,

I don't know how your going to make it without your turbo in the garage, but I can tell you when I sold my 78 911SC I was quite depressed and it seem as though everywhere I went I would come across a 911. Luckily it was only for 7 months but it felt like and eternity. Good luck and I wish you the best!
Old 06-17-2004, 01:29 AM
scudnik
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ian, you have a PM
Old 06-18-2004, 09:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Tonytheturbo
Ian,

I don't know how your going to make it without your turbo in the garage, but I can tell you when I sold my 78 911SC I was quite depressed and it seem as though everywhere I went I would come across a 911. Luckily it was only for 7 months but it felt like and eternity. Good luck and I wish you the best!
I agree with this. I was "Porscheless" for a few months back this winter and it nearly killed me. First time in 11 years, never again if I can avoid it!!
Old 06-19-2004, 12:07 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by DrJupeman
I agree with this. I was "Porscheless" for a few months back this winter and it nearly killed me. First time in 11 years, never again if I can avoid it!!
Hey, I tried to stall as long as possible in buying your car.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Ian,

I have been Proscheless in Seattle (and other places) 3 times in my life. Things in life like Baby, & starting a Business, saving a business, etc., do cause separation. But I have MY1991 back & am loving it. The joy of these cars is you can come back .... and once bitten (Porscheitice) you will be compelled to do it again. Good luck in Life .. Married & otherwize.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:02 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ian, first and foremost, I wish you the best in life and happiness as a married man. 2nd, I think your asking price is on the high side but you aren't getting married until September so consider advertising it nationally and sitting on it until that right buyer comes along and gives you what you want. Good luck and stick around.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:51 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Ian,
Hate to see you selling your car but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do.When i was selling mine few months ago i had quite a few people contact me,some still do,and offered me less money but you know what i still have the car,infact i would rather keep the car than selling it cheap.
When it comes to selling these cars you just have to be patient and you have to wait for the right buyer to come along,remember these are very rare cars and finding one thats well cared for are even more rare.Any way good luck in your sale.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hopefully if you have to be patient in selling your car you'll find that you've made it through the tight financial times, and you're back in a place where you don't have to sell the 964.

I sure do miss my 964, which was sold a year ago now...

Quick Reply: Have to sell my car