Exhaust Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 01:27 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Exhaust Project

Hey guys-
I debated adding to my Exhaust Tip Refinish thread - but decided to start this new thread even tho it's related.

I wanted to give the car a little more sound under aggressive driving. There are plenty of ways to do it - but this is what I did. As much as I like the idea of aftermarket headers for a shorter exhaust path to the turbo - for other reasons I plan to stick with the stock headers.
So - yeah I have stock headers, Fabspeed "Cat Bypass" and factory muffler. My Wastegate cat is gutted and I have stock tip. The stock wastegate tip has a baffle in it. So in factory form even under WOT the exhaust is really quiet due to wastegate cat and the baffle in the tip. Gutting the WG cat helps. I also have some Fabspeed tips but prefer the stock ones (the Fabspeed tips do not have a baffle so they are louder under WOT with WG open).

So. I was able to find a wastegate cat/tip on ebay (from LA Dismantler) and bought it. Then - and this was very tedious - I cut out the baffle. That metal is thicker than you'd expect - and not good access. Had to do it in steps/sections. Had to use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel. I went through about 30 cutoff wheels! So now I have a stock wastegate cat and baffled tip AND a fully gutted cat and tip. Can run any combination.

Right now I have the two gutted parts installed. It has the nice normal deep rumble of a stock (cat-less) system while driving normally but under WOT when the wastegate opens it gets a little rowdy - but nowhere close to obnoxious. I will most likely keep running this setup.

As for refinishing - I used a flap wheel (I think it's called) - like a folded sanding disc - on an angle grinder and got all the paint off easily. For now it is installed with a brushed alum look. Not bad. But not sold on the bright tips vs black. I will say - with bright tips - any misalignment or appearance of asymmetry vs the other side is more noticeable. So, not sure if I'll leave it, polish, or go back to black....

Anyway - hope somebody finds this a little interesting.

Brandon
'91 Turbo
Old 02-26-2024, 05:44 PM
TMWTP
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I might have a spare fabspeed header soon. Just needs a little welding...
Old 02-26-2024, 06:07 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

I should have showed you my exhaust project yesterday.

I was gonna say something different but gonna keep it clean.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:34 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,054 Likes on 668 Posts

Brandon, I did the same thing (bought a 2nd full setup of Cat & Tips, gutted, and put the originals in a box with all my other stuff.
So I've been running a similar setup for over 10 yrs. I can't even remember what it sounded like before.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:20 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

you all live in car heaven. over here my stock turbo is too loud for our neighbours. they have not the ***** to tell me - but my wife is always texted by them. so i have no chance for any change - not even little things. beside that the police carries microphones and other stuff. they can stop you and catch the car on your own cost. they take it to some technical service and decide what to do for getting it back on the road. if it is louder than stock it may cost you 2000 euro to walk away. plus changes they want you to do.

too much oekologic car haters over here in germany.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:47 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Brandon, I did the same thing (bought a 2nd full setup of Cat & Tips, gutted, and put the originals in a box with all my other stuff.
So I've been running a similar setup for over 10 yrs. I can't even remember what it sounded like before.
Nice! It sounded good before - but not as good!

Brandon
'91 Turbo
Old 02-27-2024, 01:51 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peterpullin
you all live in car heaven. over here my stock turbo is too loud for our neighbours. they have not the ***** to tell me - but my wife is always texted by them. so i have no chance for any change - not even little things. beside that the police carries microphones and other stuff. they can stop you and catch the car on your own cost. they take it to some technical service and decide what to do for getting it back on the road. if it is louder than stock it may cost you 2000 euro to walk away. plus changes they want you to do.

too much oekologic car haters over here in germany.
That's kinda crazy. In stock form - with all the cats and mufflers etc - the car is darn near close to silent!

Brandon
'91 Turbo
The following users liked this post:
peterpullin (02-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Exhaust Project