964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

How much camber can I dial in ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much camber can I dial in ?

I have a 964 turbo -91 with stock 17 inch wheels.
It has stock dampers and stock mountings.
It's lowered with Eibach springs, don't know how much lower it is compared to stock, but no dramatic difference (not sure it matters).

I am currently running -2.0 camber in the front, but I would like to dial in -2.5.

Any experience out there, is it likely that I will succeed or do I need to get other mountings ?
I know Vincent is running -2.2 with his 18 inch wheels.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:52 AM
Vince5
Instructor

I have 2,2 (or 2,5 I don't remember) front and 1,5 back. I read that you can't get more than 1,5 at the back ? With this set up and Michelin cup tyres the car clearly oversteers.
You need camber plate to get more. I think you can take them from the 964RS cars. May be the 964 forum can help with the part numbers or someone at PCS .. I know my swiss friend has this solution and runs with 4 at the front and 3,5 at the back.

Last edited by Vince5; 06-03-2004 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

I got -1.8 rear, but they probably dialed in as much as they could on your car. Yes 964RS camber plates should work I heard, I wonder if they are expensive, hmmm...

Anyway, still interested in finding out how much camber you can dial in at the front using the stock mounting and stock dampers.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:45 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well...it depends. Apparently there is some variation in the 964/965 cars. This was based on a conversation at a local Porsche shop (Greg Fordahls). It seems the "norm" is around 2 degrees.

On mine, I could get ~1.9 degrees up front. But...with that said, there is a way to get more. The way they dial in the camber is via a slot in the strut (I'm have Billsteins). When I swapped out my springs, I slightly lengthened the slot (about 2 mm) and get get almost 3 degrees (if I want it).
Old 06-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jeff91C2T
Well...it depends. Apparently there is some variation in the 964/965 cars. This was based on a conversation at a local Porsche shop (Greg Fordahls). It seems the "norm" is around 2 degrees.

On mine, I could get ~1.9 degrees up front. But...with that said, there is a way to get more. The way they dial in the camber is via a slot in the strut (I'm have Billsteins). When I swapped out my springs, I slightly lengthened the slot (about 2 mm) and get get almost 3 degrees (if I want it).
Thanks Jeff!
I have 2.0 front at the moment.
So I gather that your experience is that you can usally max out the slot in the strut without other problems. So I will check to see where it sits. I am runing -2.0 at the moment.

What tool did you use to increase the slot ?

Looking at a new suspension at the moment, new top mountings with adjustable camber and caster is on my list as well.

Quick Reply: How much camber can I dial in ?