964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Dyno run

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts
Default Dyno run

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday weekend, let the summer begin.

Rick Deman of Deman Motorsports, generously offered to dyno my car on a previous post, so I finally made it up to his shop in Nyack, NY this past Friday. Although a little tight for space his shop is very well organized and full of great stuff. His staff are all very knowledgable and friendly with a great love for Porsche's.

It took a little while to get the car hooked up to the Dynapack Chassis Dynomometer and we had a little issue with the O2 sensor, but once underway we were able to see what I had suspected from the beginning.

It appears the previous shop I was using never checked the settings as I had requested. Power was down by as much as 30 hp and the AFR was way out of wack, running lean. The 1.0 bar spring that I was told was in the car ended up being the factory spring.

After some adjustments and another couple of pulls on the Dyno, Rick brought the car up in Hp and Torque. The final readings came in at a calculated 407 Hp with 392 ft lbs of torque. (+/-) This is with the factory spring!!!!.

I cannot get a clear scan on the sheets provided but will try to post them if I can.

The one point that was really noticeable on the dyno was the way the HF turbo works vs. the stock K27. The boost started building at 1990 rpms and had a nice curve up to 3300 rpm when boost hit a plateau of 12.5 psi stayed constant until about 4250 rpm and then gradually climbed up to about 13.8 psi until it reached redline at 6400rpm. This shows how the HF turbo realy makes a difference in the higher rpm range were the stock K27 would loose pressure.

All in all despite the rain and humidity it was a great day. The car drives better then ever and I can't wait to see what it is like with the 1.0 bar spring. I will be using Deman Motorsports for my future repairs even though it is quite the haul to get there. I highly recommend his shop for those in the area. His knowledge of these cars is quite impressive and appears to take great pride with a full hands on approach to managing all work performed.

I will be talking to Rick after the 12th to bring my car back up to his shop to fix my exhaust leak and install the 1.0 bar spring. I will post more info when this is completed.

Rick, once again thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see what you mean by it being a little tight in his shop!!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:41 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Not good news on the old shop. Glad you found one of the "good guys" to fix up the machine. It makes you feel better about the car when you know its been put together "right"(atleast I do). Is the dyno hooked up to your lugs, or are there wheels hidden in there? What did your car lean out to?, and were did it end up after if was fixed up properly? After the fuel head work, mine ended up around 11:1 at full boost, but a little rich under 3250RPM. But I am no longer dependant on the Andial system, which I guess is a good thing. I saw the same results with the HF, better than the k29.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:38 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Bogey1,

Yeah it is a bummer when you think you can trust people, only to find they have been wasting your time. I am looking forward to see what can be done with Rick's help.

The Dynapack unit is quite the marvel. They bolt a set of adapters to your lugs and attach it to the two boxes which are completely mobile. No need to permanently mount a dyno and use an entire bay for one purpose.

I do not recall what my AFM was at full boost. We started at 14:1 and it drops drastically until it bottoms out at about 3500rpm and then rises. I forget the number but based on the chart we were probably not much above 11:1 at full boost. I did not get a copy of the chart because the toner cartridge ran out before being able to print and there was no back up. Unfortunately the CIS system does not allow you much flexibility. Unlike the EFI systems that allow you to map the entire curve. I will be making some changes after the 12th and we will get a better idea of what is going on then. There are a few things I need to discuss with Rick before we proceed.

I do admit the HF is the best thing that ever happened to single turbo cars. It is great that after all these years the interest to improve upon these cars has resulted in such advancements.

I must assume your car is a blast to drive. I find my car to be rather responsive and relatively powerful. You must have quite the beast with all that RWHP and torque.

In your opinion what changes did Stephen make that made the best improvement to your car.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:10 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

The car is truly a great time to drive. It can be scary fast shooting flames, but its also pretty well mannered and comfortable. In terms of the best mod's that the PhD performed: lowered the car with adjustable coil-overs and a set of Fikse's (flat out brought the car to a whole new level). Then I would have to say the HF turbo/Garretson IC/Tial wastegate & BOV (done at the same time). He started basically rebuilding a pretty good chunk of the motor right when I bought the car. At that time he put in a bunch of internal upgrades to rods/bolts/headstuds/SC cams/a slight bump in compression, a LW clutch, and HKS EVC. I really did it in three stages which all seemed to build on the other since he did all the work. The HF unit brought it all together though.
Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Dyno run