Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Oil leak above turbo - scavenge hose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 07:52 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Oil leak above turbo - scavenge hose?

This is just a quick check to see if anyone has had a similar leak appear, before pulling things apart to see everything. In the pic is the oil scavenge feed line above the turbo and the intake air hose to the IC. Oil pooling around both of those and dripping down off the bottom of the turbo. The oil line's rubber grommet has oil gathered all the way around it, which makes it suspicious esp since its higher than the tray etc. And you can see by the intake air hose oil pooled on the engine tin around it.

If that hose has failed it's done it oddly, there's no oil from above/under the crimped on section...or maybe it can leak from the hard section to the crimp fitting? Maybe there is an o-ring inside of the crimped fitting there? *think I’m looking at the oil feed line actually

Last edited by wicks; 06-29-2023 at 02:13 AM.
Old 06-28-2023, 09:49 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

Wicks, I don’t know where your leak is coming from.

I replaced the Turbo oil Feed line with new as it is a rubber part sitting in a hot environment and now 30 yrs old. To remove it, you will have to remove the rear bumper for the access to the 2 bolts that feed the turbo oil.

While you are in there, remove both rubber hoses on the turbo and check the outlet and inlet of the compressor for oil, check the turbine for play. Finally, borescope and check out the intercooler for oil, etc.
Old 06-28-2023, 10:49 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Wicks,
You are looking at 9 and 11 in this photo. I just replaced both mine.
I have a new extra hard line if you need it? It's #9
#11 is HORRIBLE to replace while the engine is in the car.
That picture above does not look correct for our cars.

Old 06-28-2023, 10:54 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Take the intercooler off and see if line 1 is leaking to line 2. These are tensioner oil feed lines.
Your photos above are odd to me. Is this your 3.6 turbo?

Old 06-29-2023, 01:06 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Scott yes my 3.6. I think the two piece was for the 3.3…

Don’t think there’s oil around tensioner lines but will have a look.

Last edited by wicks; 06-29-2023 at 01:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 08:18 AM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

This is the oil feed line for the turbo, it connects to a small dome on the left chain case at the top under the distributor. This is a cone compression and not suspicious, just like the seal of the dome on the chain case, Leaking oil from there would not run down the hose.

Anyway, I don't think it comes from above but from the lower end with the oval flange. It mounts between the turbine and compressor on the turbo and there's a seal that I've found tend to leak as well as the corresdonding seal on the return line below.
Your best bet is to clean it up and then check again.

Fritz

Last edited by fritz k.; 06-29-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:58 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Things are dry at that seal of the line flange fitting to top of the turbo (two studs, looks like paper gasket). But maybe this is a trick - the heat burns it off that close but it stays wet further up the line? Hah could be. Have ordered a new line, seal and locknuts, will be trying to replace without taking off any bumpers.

Or I have a larger problem and oil is getting into the compressor side some other way and for some reason the pressure is enough for that oil to push past very tight clamps. I removed bit less than a liter of oil from engine and tested - still leaks.
Old 06-29-2023, 03:31 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

I found a lot of oil in the air tube (to IC) and the bottom of the tube starting to tear under the lower clamp - so the oil is def coming from intake - thinking that overfill (not by me) is the cause now, along with that air tube needing replacement. The amount of oil on the floor when I drove her home from dealer was a lot, has been less and less each time so perhaps it is clearing out. No oil pool inside bottom of turbo compressor, it's all being blown up into IC. Prob not leaking any while driving (why there is no oil on the rear bumper or blown around), since it's all being sucked upward toward throttle while running.

Car runs amazing even with whatever amount of air leak is caused by this air tube coming apart. One reason I didn't suspect the oil would be coming from air system.

Should I take the intake apart and clear the oil from inside IC and everything or will that happen naturally (well enough)? Maybe I should add some fuel or something to the air intake to help clear out the IC? Maybe there's a hack from all the old big turbo years, I shall google.

I cut about 3mm off the bottom end where it was tearing up, and gave it a slight angle to make aligning the clamp easier (gets tighter fit to turbo on the side you can't see), medically cleaned everything including clamps, and reinstalled. Have probably sealed that oil in for now, and it's hopefully going to just be residue and drops will make it all the way in and burn up, hopefully without fouling injectors or some other side effect.

Last edited by wicks; 06-29-2023 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:45 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

That's common if it's not taken apart and cleaned with oil changes. Take the elbow off the Fuel head and see if oil is caked inside at the belly. Usually it's not in the intake.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:40 PM
fritz k.
Pro

I would take the IC out and leave it upside down with the outlet down overnight and see what comes out.
To have it rinsed with flammable liquids is only an option if it can then dry for a long time and or you have the oportunity to blow through with compressed air.

Fritz
The following users liked this post:
wicks (06-30-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 05:53 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

I think I'll just properly clean it out. Maybe just use simple green so I don't have to deal with a lot of chemical but can break the oil up.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:32 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Question / opinion: when installing this new turbo oil feed line, should I 1) oil the paper filter first and 2) use the same technique used on the big oil lines and put a bit of molly on the engine side fitting? Loctite on the collar?

guessing the torque is another “pretty tight” situation. And the turbo stud nuts are standard M8 torque.

Last edited by wicks; 07-07-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2023, 07:52 PM
fritz k.
Pro

Coat both sides of the paper gasket with little oil and hand tighten the two nuts. The conical fitting on the motor side does not require any lubricant, tighten the union nut with an open-end wrench and you're done.

Fritz
The following users liked this post:
wicks (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 11:27 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Ran her hard today and it was glorious. A lot of 0.7 time. No oil drip on the turbo after so I think I'm all good. Will do this oil line on the when convenient list.

Random thought, the boost display always has a 0.x Why even include the zero? Or maybe it would be more accurate to have made that a 1 with the one representing normal atmosphere?

1.7 x atmosphere. Sorry rambling. Have a lovely weekend.

Quick Reply: Oil leak above turbo - scavenge hose?