964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Highest Praise for the 964 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 12:26 AM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Highest Praise for the 964 Turbo

I have worked on and driven my 964 Turbo for two years now. For context, my air-cooled cars include an '86 930 and a 96 993TT. I am so happy with the 964, but I find it difficult to describe exactly why. It feels so much more refined and developed than the perfectly grumpy 930, but it also retains a ton of G50 DNA; it's like the perfect combination of the old and the new. Yes, the 993 is significantly faster, but it's a totally different generation of car and it feels like it. I guess the best way to describe the 964 is as follows; it has all of the charm of the G50 in a package that is just modern enough to make it feel perfect. My car has headers and Bilsteins. I put narrow body trailing arms on it to accommodate those tasty Fikse wheels with the deep lip. Ambrosia baby. It was also corner balanced, lowered and aligned by the great Robert Boreham. It's a fantastic canyon car and a delight to daily drive when I feel like it.

If I could have only one sports car to drive for the rest of my life, it might be well be the amazing 964 Turbo. I could name drop some big hitters I've owned or still own, but trust me when I say the 964 is in a league of its own. I'd more soon pay $300k for this car than a late model GT3. This thing has more personality in its glove box than the latest and greatest water cooled GT cars have in their entirety. It'll probably last longer too. I've got a new 992 GTS (manual) and I find myself leaving it in the garage so I can drive the 964. So happy with this car...there truly is no substitute. But you already knew that...

Last edited by W. MITTY; 05-09-2023 at 12:28 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by W. MITTY:
cobalt (05-12-2023), fourrings (05-11-2023), heliolps2 (05-09-2023), Igooz (05-09-2023), N8tive (01-22-2024), onboost (05-12-2023), Turbo Jonny (05-14-2023), wicks (05-18-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-09-2023, 01:25 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 666 Posts

RWD verses AWD w/r/t the 993TT too.

Lots of great words there WM, and agree on most everything ... the only one I'm driving these days that is putting up a very good fight when it comes to choosing which keys to grab, is our Aqua Blue 997.2 GT3. Wow what a package. Two TOTALLY different beasts though,... so what I love most is that I grab the keys that best fit my MOOD that day. 1st world problems for sure.

... but in the end, if I had to sell one of the two I'm comparing here,... the 964 Turbo would stay. It has been our forever car for 20 yrs now,.. and is too rooted into my soul.

Thanks for posting!! ... the deep dish Fikse are delicious
The following users liked this post:
W. MITTY (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 09:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

I am assuming yours is a stock 3.3L? . When I was shopping for my turbo back in 2000 and after driving many 993TT's and 964T's I came to the same conclusion back then. Hard to put my finger on it but I agree to this day the best air-cooled turbos are the 964's.

I recently resurrected a 58k mile 993TT and had the opportunity to test it back to back with my 3.6T. Granted my 3.6 has some mild bolt on mods but it is for the most part significantly faster than the 993TT. A bit of a pig off the line vs the 993 but once moving the 3.6 just pulls from it. Both have their pros and cons. To me the 993TT is so heavy feeling even after the new KW suspension I installed. It does scoot around corners nicely and is easier to get on the gas coming out of a turn but it doesn't excite me like the older RWD turbos. A very nice ride but far too civilized GT for me. I always found the 930's to be a bit too erratic but a fun car in a frightening way.

My son who is lucky enough to drive everything Porsche, recently drove a gorgeous 15k mile 930 and he fell in love with it. He said he wants a car that scares him like the 930. He said it was frighteningly delicious. I must have dropped him on his head as a child. LOL This was after he just took a 3k mile 4.0L Singer out for a drive. He liked the Singer but as he put it, would take any of the stock turbos over it for the price. His comment was it was a nice $200k car but wouldn't give a penny more for it. Handling was quite similar to my C2 with MCS and the rest was just too refined. His major like about the car where the seats. he said they were quite comfortable. I agree.

Your car looks great and the Fiske's with deep offset are tasty. Enjoy.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:03 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The "Fikse wheels with the deep lip" are indeed tasty on this car! Stance is perfect too! Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
W. MITTY (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 12:06 PM
W. MITTY
Instructor

Received 244 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am assuming yours is a stock 3.3L? . When I was shopping for my turbo back in 2000 and after driving many 993TT's and 964T's I came to the same conclusion back then. Hard to put my finger on it but I agree to this day the best air-cooled turbos are the 964's.

I recently resurrected a 58k mile 993TT and had the opportunity to test it back to back with my 3.6T. Granted my 3.6 has some mild bolt on mods but it is for the most part significantly faster than the 993TT. A bit of a pig off the line vs the 993 but once moving the 3.6 just pulls from it. Both have their pros and cons. To me the 993TT is so heavy feeling even after the new KW suspension I installed. It does scoot around corners nicely and is easier to get on the gas coming out of a turn but it doesn't excite me like the older RWD turbos. A very nice ride but far too civilized GT for me. I always found the 930's to be a bit too erratic but a fun car in a frightening way.

My son who is lucky enough to drive everything Porsche, recently drove a gorgeous 15k mile 930 and he fell in love with it. He said he wants a car that scares him like the 930. He said it was frighteningly delicious. I must have dropped him on his head as a child. LOL This was after he just took a 3k mile 4.0L Singer out for a drive. He liked the Singer but as he put it, would take any of the stock turbos over it for the price. His comment was it was a nice $200k car but wouldn't give a penny more for it. Handling was quite similar to my C2 with MCS and the rest was just too refined. His major like about the car where the seats. he said they were quite comfortable. I agree.

Your car looks great and the Fiske's with deep offset are tasty. Enjoy.
Many thanks Tony. Yes, my 964 is a 3.3L with a couple of bolt ons. One of the differences I've noticed between the 3 cars we've mentioned (930, 965, 993TT) is the off-boost behavior. The 993TT is the king in this regard, where even a small nudge of the throttle at 0 bar gives immediate response (although still generations behind the latest 992 Turbo, but that's apples to oranges). The 964 off boost is docile, but its responsive and the boost never feels like it's too far away. When it comes on, its buttery smooth and arrives in a delightful, composed, torrent of torque. Now for the 930...mine has cams, intercooler, headers and a G35R turbo in it. It's pretty gutless off boost, but above 3000 rpm, its about as refined as sledgehammer.... those looooong full-boost pulls with the four speed transmission make me laugh out loud. Definitely not for the faint of heart, especially in the canyon where I do most of my driving. In the 930, cornering and boost are mutually exclusive terms. Period.
The following 2 users liked this post by W. MITTY:
cobalt (05-18-2023), onboost (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 12:07 PM
Chronicparadise
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We source our weed products from reliable local suppliers in Canada. They are all made from high-quality weed and are meant for providing quality results. They are lab-tested and are completely safe to use.
<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://chronicparadise.cc/
Old 05-18-2023, 12:42 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Completely agree - have had a bunch new and old and this is the best car P ever made.

Quick Reply: Highest Praise for the 964 Turbo