Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Wanted - EZ69

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 12:30 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts

Have a fresh tube of that paste ready for when I reinstall. Porsche Classic offered to handle the repair by Glaubitz but the markup would have been insane. They should just order 100 new units from Bosch and sell them to us for x2 or something.

Last edited by wicks; 05-29-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 12:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

I changed my paste a few years back and have the two spares. This is the con side of rarity. Each the 3.3 and 3.6 have their own specific units, so they would need 100 of each and probably sell 10 so I doubt it is high on their list. This wasn't a big issue early on and by the time it was; all the NOS was gone and technology advanced exponentially. There are solutions but what is needed would be updated technology in a period correct housing. Sounds like it would cost to do that as well but if someone can they can probably make some money. if you are going to go aftermarket there is a lot that can be done with these cars. Keeping it original even if just appearance wise is the hard part.

Sadly so much of this stuff was tossed when shops did EFI conversions years ago. It had no value then.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:11 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I can't believe Porsche has still not produced more of these. I had mine die at least 10 years ago and even then they only had 2 units left at the factory for $4500 dollars each. I bought one and tried to get someone to rebuild the original one with no luck. The unit the factory sent me was for a 3.6 so I guess there is no big difference between the 3.3 and 3.6 units.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:15 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

@rstarga are you saying you're running a 3.6 EZ in a 3.3?
Old 05-30-2023, 07:26 PM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by rstarga
.........so I guess there is no big difference between the 3.3 and 3.6 units.

The changes EZ69 3.3 to 3.6:

- Modified ignition map, adaptation to the higher performance
- Electronic idling stabilization, when the engine speed falls below 810 rpm, the ignition is shifted to the more "advanced" direction.

In addition, the boost pressure port on the 3.6 has been moved behind the throttle valve to reduce pulsations to the pressure sensor.

Fritz
The following 2 users liked this post by fritz k.:
heliolps2 (07-24-2023), Scott Dunavant (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 10:51 PM
rstarga
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by wicks
@rstarga are you saying you're running a 3.6 EZ in a 3.3?
I no longer have the car, but I ran it with the 3.6 EZ for several years with no noticeable difference in operation. The factory only had the 3.6 version available, and said that the new part superceded the 3.3 version.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:02 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I did the additional ground wire AND new liberal application of thermal paste several years ago.

Originally Posted by wicks
Curious if Peter will show what is/was working in his car... also how many of us have done the additional ground wire for the EZ69?
Old 05-31-2023, 09:59 AM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

here is some info on "other" ignition systems for the 964 turbo:

First

From Pelican parts : Neil Harvey posted this.....

http://performancedevelopments.com/aboutus/

We recently were asked to "fix" the issue the 964 Turbo engine has with its ignition module. We developed a replacement kit that makes this issue be a non started now. Poor choice of words, opps.

The car runs far better, has a more modern system controlling the ignition and has the ability to program a curve. It also has the ability to change over to CDI.

Most will know I am huge fan of CDI on these large chambered engines. In all my years building these engines, I have never had anything be better than the CDI system we use. But we have to understand that CDI is a dying system especially finding the proper CDI coil.

A few years ago, we bought CDI pencil coils from Magnetti, but they stopped making them. This makes the twin plug conversion difficult requiring the distributor.

COP is popular and makes for a simple conversion so we are developing an Inductive COP conversion with coil energy of 100mJ. Still not as good as CDI but it does give those that want COP another alternative.

At present we are designing a way to mount the coils to the cam covers.

This week we also has several requests for a standalone Ignition system. One in particular seems to be required as the customer had his engine case narrowed twice, the second time to fix a screw up. This now makes the Distributor gear lash an issue. So ditching the Distributor and going to Crank triggering and multi coils does seem to be an option.

The other was to supply a solution for the 964 Turbo Ignition control unit that is no longer unavailable. Both of these gave me cause to believe that there is a need for another Ignition option that offers different functions as well. One we are considering is the ability to control the engine ignition as a safety device. Bring in Oil temp, Oil pressure and using these inputs as limp mode functions is something we can do.

These systems will be CDI. This is not a post I will get involved with going back and forth over CDI verse Inductive. That argument has been flogged to death. I have spend years proving to myself what works and what doesn't in these huge and massive chambers with cantered spark plug positions. Like all things in life, it's how the rubber meets the road.

I need to have the reasoning and experience to sell any of our wares. Customers today are well informed and have a huge library of knowledge at their disposal.

The system (kits) we are putting together will be both Wasted spark and sequential. Much to my dislike, I do understand that often wasted spark is the choice due to cost and simplicity. We are just going to make it as best we can. At least it will be CDI and wasted.

We have chosen two ECU's to drive the system. One with 4 Ignition outputs the other with 8. This then give us 3 for wasted and 6 for sequential. The CDI units will be the same. We have the coils already in testing to make sure they will work as required. These are coils that will require HT wires. The single output Coil is a proper CDI coil designed and made for CDI use. The other is a dual coil in a single body with low primary functions.

The kit will come with all necessary modules, sensors, mounts, finished harnesses, HT wires, mounted coils etc. A plug and play system. The cost, unknown until we get further into this and have completed the testing. What I do know is this will not be the cheapest solution, but hopefully one of the best.

Then there is this (what I have) Clewette can attach a 62-2 wheel on the back of your front pulley , provisions for dual plug and COP
deletes the distributor but looks fairly stock , can be installed in an after noon and returned to stock in the same Time - I have one (1) good EZ-69 in storage.

https://www.clewett.com/index.php?ma...=index&cPath=1
Old 05-31-2023, 10:56 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

I need it. Glaubitz is reporting can't repair unit - ughh.

Originally Posted by Black_Hat
I have one (1) good EZ-69 in storage.
Old 05-31-2023, 12:05 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Does anyone know what these on pelican are? The P parts catalog shows 965602706BX (the "BX" appended at some time I think to mean the rebuilt units they were doing in the past) but these are BU and AU...

Old 05-31-2023, 12:57 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Wicks, Email my friend Glenn Sager: glenn@pelicanparts.com
He has been by my long time, one stop parts guy, answers all my questions and thus I buy everything for all my cars from him. He is in so-cal too and owns a couple of A/C 911s.

Is Glaubitz the same as ECU.DE? So your EZ-69 that Fritz was helping you with is not repairable?

The following users liked this post:
wicks (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 01:02 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Will do thanks. Yes Glaubitz is the name of the company who's web site is www.ecu.de. And yes sadly they can't fix it. They said it is consuming too much current.
Old 06-01-2023, 12:57 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Would be a good move if everyone who has a 3.3 or 3.6 to place a part request with their local dealer. Maybe P classic listens and orders some. Then when yours finally burns out, you won't be inop like I am.

Or, get P or Bosch to give us the complete schematic so we can have some made in china.
The following 2 users liked this post by wicks:
heliolps2 (07-24-2023), peterpullin (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 02:23 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

both,
bosch or porsche will not share a bit with us. i fear the only way to copy this is to have a working unit on a bench. then open it, heat it to remove glue and find out about parts inside. almost impossible.
so i fear there is no way....
Old 06-01-2023, 02:25 AM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

The high power consumption of the Wicks EZ69 results from an internal short circuit that affected various components and therefor cannot be eliminated.
I had already written to Bosch Classic for documentation on the ignition controllers two weeks ago, but had received no reply. I have now tried again with an email to an employee who helped me in another matter.

Fritz
The following 2 users liked this post by fritz k.:
heliolps2 (07-24-2023), wicks (06-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Wanted - EZ69