964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Doesn't stop!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2023, 10:56 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Doesn't stop!

720 hours, $80,000 in wholesale parts, this car doesn't stop kicking me in the nuts. 38k miles! Doesn't matter. Replace everything.
Anyone know of a Belt conversion and Belt size for A/c Delete? These A/c Clutches used to be $700. I'm not sure if there are conversions after market one available?

Old 03-09-2023, 11:25 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts

I have "No Start" and you have "No Stop'!

I think that you have removed A/C and want a shorter belt to skip the A/C pulley? Easy; you have to measure the linear length of the belt using a string, etc. Then you can cross it to the closest belt. Belts are labeled just like tires and the letters and numbers have a meaning. For example, Gates has a nomenclature that is ever slightly than Dayco, or Napa, etc.

Belt ID Chart 2018 (gates.com)

I just went through this as I modified the engine on another car and I could rev 1000 rpm higher and kept throwing A/C belt. Any seasoned/grey haired guy at a respectable Napa store can cross the new length for you, since the other parameters are the same: IE) Width, V vs. Poly, etc.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:56 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I have "No Start" and you have "No Stop'!

I think that you have removed A/C and want a shorter belt to skip the A/C pulley? Easy; you have to measure the linear length of the belt using a string, etc. Then you can cross it to the closest belt. Belts are labeled just like tires and the letters and numbers have a meaning. For example, Gates has a nomenclature that is ever slightly than Dayco, or Napa, etc.

Belt ID Chart 2018 (gates.com)

I just went through this as I modified the engine on another car and I could rev 1000 rpm higher and kept throwing A/C belt. Any seasoned/grey haired guy at a respectable Napa store can cross the new length for you, since the other parameters are the same: IE) Width, V vs. Poly, etc.

No kidding. I found a old photo of where i locked the alternator to the fan pulley on a C2 turbo conversion. That's the easy way.
The difficult way would be to add a tensioner and use the ribbed belt. Rothsport, Clewett or Patrick.
For now the A/c is being pulled.
Uncle :-)

Quick Reply: Doesn't stop!