Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 11:38 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 276 Posts
Default Where do these parts go?!

Hello RL technical braintrust!
Two years ago what started as "...Hey, let's get my Speedlines restored by Mr. Dorciak...", grew to a total disassembly of everything below the tub. Nice and easy, and more of a mental exercise than anything else. But for the past year I have had parts laying everywhere and it has been driving me nuts. I am now near completion to get the car on the road in a few months.

I have hundreds of detailed photos, but you get the idea. Disassemble engine, trans, suspension, brakes, hardlines, softlines, wheels, etc. For those of you with keen eyes, my stock exhaust w/cat are on the shelf, I will try something louder and catless!

Now I cannot remember where these 2 parts go on the engine. Please let me know! Thank you as always.

Where does this bracket go?!!

I think that this little plate goes on the tinwork some place.

Last edited by Igooz; 01-09-2023 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 04:27 PM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

The bracket is a mount for the oil collector under the turbocharger. The bracket is fastened with two engine housing bolts, the collector is fastened to the bracket with hose clamps. Part no. 930 107 113 01. The tin is 930 113 135 01, belongs to AAI allocator, were it goes through left side engine tin.

Fritz
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (01-10-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 10:36 PM
das76
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 134 Posts

@Igooz are those headers/heater boxes brand new, or did you have them coated? I look forward to seeing it all completed! (is that it on the lift in the background?)

Interestingly I looked in the PET at the 2 part numbers that @fritz k. listed and oddly the PET doesn't show where, or what, that bracket is bolted to!
see part 23 in this pic and it's only ever referenced 1 time in the PET (no other pages show it) :

It looks the second part is the heat shield to protect your check valve shown in the pic.
heliolps2 (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 09:35 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Thank you very much, Fritz! P/N 930 113 135 01 is a heatshield for air injection and goes near the wastegate on the left side of engine. DONE!

​​​​​Das76, thanks for the diagram, item 23 or Part no. 930 107 113 01 as Fritz pointed out is still has me puzzled. I am still UNSURE where it goes? Any pictures will be helpful.

Das76,I stored the stock exhaust system and this is an aftermarket catless exhaust w/muffler. I had them ceramic coated. All the rest of the engine tin were powder coated, or back to OEM plated, replaced, etc. It is amazing that even on a low mileage car, how much gunk and junk gets buried after 30 years. I am attempting to make everything to as clean or new as possible.

Last edited by Igooz; 01-10-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2023, 04:40 PM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 83 Posts

Igooz (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 05:49 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Fritz, thank you!! A picture tells a thousand words, and now I remember! Stock exhaust system and oil collector are now in storage. And with my A/M exhaust I am running a custom fabricated oil collector, so that is why this part made no sense for me! I will not be needing it for now and will save it with the original oil collector Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2023, 07:11 PM
das76
Pro

that explains why I couldn’t see that bracket on my car since I also have an aftermarket setup

@Igooz the ceramic coating looks great. I recently discovered this. I was actually going to post a question about in the forum about the value of doing it.

What advantages are you hoping to get from it ? I would imagine there would minimal performance gains but probably not enough to notice. Protection of the stainless? Appearance ? Bling ?
Old 01-10-2023, 07:22 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

The triangle tin goes on the left side of the engine to the end of the air injector line, To shield the PCV from the heat exchanger/exhaust. line/ shield/ PCV/ hose to air pump diverter coming through the engine tin on the driver side. I try to get a pic for you , I hope this helps

Last edited by heliolps2; 01-10-2023 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:51 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by heliolps2
The triangle tin goes on the left side of the engine to the end of the air injector line, To shield the PCV from the heat exchanger/exhaust. line/ shield/ PCV/ hose to air pump diverter coming through the engine tin on the driver side. I try to get a pic for you , I hope this helps
Thank you heliops2. I remember your tear down which was first class.

Originally Posted by das76
...the ceramic coating looks great. I recently discovered this. I was actually going to post a question about in the forum about the value of doing it.

What advantages are you hoping to get from it ? I would imagine there would minimal performance gains but probably not enough to notice. Protection of the stainless? Appearance ? Bling ?
das76, I had this aftermarket exhaust (header/boxes/muffler/straps) high temp ceramic coated in order to get a cleaner appearance under the car. The construct was made up of different metals: low grade stainless, mild-steel, high grade stainless. There was no way that I could get them to look consistent and thus I elected for ceramic coat in low-key colors: Silver and Black. I did not do this for bling or for thermal advantage. Over the years, I have done this to other engines and the finish holds up really well and looks decent. If I were looking for thermal advantage, I would have wrapped them since all the data that I have ever seen wrapping tends to do the best job of keeping heat. My personal preference would be a raw metal polished finish, but in this case that would not happen.

Another thing to consider is that once you clean, polish, zinc plate, powder coat everything else on an engine, then you can't just install an ugly exhaust as the "contrast" is a massive eye sore. Here is a picture to give you an idea:

Last edited by Igooz; 01-11-2023 at 11:14 AM.
heliolps2 (01-12-2023)
Old 01-11-2023, 11:26 AM
das76
Pro

@Igooz thanks. Yes that makes a lot of sense. I look forward to seeing the completed car. Is it the silver one in the background?
Old 01-12-2023, 04:55 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

When I come back in the shop tomorrow, I expect Santa to have installed these for me! I have 3 projects at the same time, and this one is the medium-complexity; of course, I don't remember which hose goes where! Haha! (I do have one new black one that is NLA, not in the picture).

Old 01-12-2023, 05:39 PM
das76
Pro

Nice. Are those OEM or did you use an aftermarket supplier ? I recall seeing a thread here with a good aftermarket source since this kind of hose is quite typical in a lot of applications. Definitely not unique to P!
Old 01-12-2023, 06:03 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Nice. Are those OEM or did you use an aftermarket supplier ? I recall seeing a thread here with a good aftermarket source since this kind of hose is quite typical in a lot of applications. Definitely not unique to P!
What you see were all custom made to my ID/Length based on what I pulled off the car.

I went to a vendor that MetalGuru recommended, and I couldn’t be happier; great vendor and owner/operator.
https://customductsaircraftsceetandscat.com/

Last edited by Igooz; 01-12-2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:13 PM
das76
Pro

@Igooz Yeah, that's the place i was thinking of. Well done - I might do the same. Of course the biggest problem is where do you stop!!! I guess the answer is never. So then the challenge is, what do you do now, vs later without having to drop the entire motor.

I'm curious what you did with your wastegate: Did you have it powder or ceramic coated too? Mine works, so I don't want to replace it, but it's quite rusty on the outside so if i start to clean up some parts, others wont look as good.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:38 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

I'm curious what you did with your wastegate: Did you have it powder or ceramic coated too? Mine works, so I don't want to replace it, but it's quite rusty on the outside so if i start to clean up some parts, others wont look as good.
Before Picture: Since it was fully functional and only had surface dirt, I did not disassemble it or replace it.

The "finned" part is always going to look rusty anyhow, so I simply wire brushed and cleaned it. The "silver" part I vapor blasted, and it looks brand new, add new gaskets and voila, back in business and it looks OEM now. I have to find a picture of the final product, but I think that I just mounted it on the turbo and did not take any pictures.

Last edited by Igooz; 01-12-2023 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Where do these parts go?!