964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Few Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Ian964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few Problems

Ok So i've driven my car about 2000 miles this year already! 2 long road trips one to Rennsport Reunion II.

When I make a left hand turn something, it sounds like plastic is rubbing against the wheel ( I think). The farther i turn the worse it get. It has that sort of "base ball card in bike spokes" sound to it. I can't see it without taking the wheel off.

So that leads me to my first question. If I need to jack up the drivers side front wheel where do I position the jack?

2nd problem is that I have noticed a small oil leak. If your behind the car its on the left hand side about a 6-7 inches behind the turbo, and 5-6 inches in twards the middle of the car. Its very small and it seem to only drop after i've been driving the car. It might just be some oil that was spilled in the engine. I would say maybe 2-3 drops are off every 3-4 days.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:34 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ian:

Something is obviously rubbing - probably a plastic part in the wheelwell

You jack the front the same place you jack the rear - just ahead of the rear quarter panel. That point should lift the entire side of the car (think about the weight distribution and what that does to the point at which you want to lift).

You will drive yourself crazy trying to find such a small oil leak. I would ignore it unless it gets worse.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:31 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian, I would be very careful with that sound from the wheel.
Better safe than sorry.

My first thought was a shot wheel bearing, but the sound would be more like an prop airplane, but I wouldn't rule it out. For some reason the right rear wheel bearing tend to brake on these cars. That's what I found when mine broke about a year ago.

Does the sound get worse by increased load (more g-force) or does it get worse by just turning more even when driving very slowly ?

First check would of course be to jack the car up visually inspect turn the wheels (if front) etc.

About the oil leak, I agree with JBH probably nothing to worry about.
It could sometimes be hard to see where leaks originates from, you need to jack the car up and look very carefully. Perhaps you need to clean things carefully with brake cleaner and take the car for a hard drive before jacking it up again and check. Never had to use it myself, but I heard flower helps finding oil leaks, sticks to the oil.

Quick Reply: Few Problems