964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

RarlyL8 - tailpipe / exhaust tip recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 12:42 AM
das76
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 134 Posts
Default RarlyL8 - tailpipe / exhaust tip recommendations

I'm leaning towards a new RarlyL8 muffler and wastegate pipe after several recommendations from a bunch of you - thank you.

However after speaking with Brian at RarlyL8 he is no longer able to provide pipes with the balljoint style fitting like the OEM and other aftermarket systems use. He got rid of the tooling that creates the flanges in the pipes to fit over the sealing ring. See pic:

So........... I'm looking for recommendations for exhaust tips what will just slide over his pipes (he'll provide straight un-flanged pipe) and use a flat style clamp or would be welded to the muffler outlet / wastegate pipe) and will still look great on the 91Turbo.

Any recommendations from the hive here?

Or is this not really not a good route to take and I should just contemplate another system which is more plug and play (like Fabspeed etc, despite their potential shortcomings)

As always, thank for the help and learning along the way!

EDIT: here is a link with pics of my current system. Nothing stock remains. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...r-exhaust.html

Last edited by das76; 07-08-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:48 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Are you keeping/selling the original system? If it's destined for the junk pile, then are the flanges worth saving? If they are, then worst case you could always weld them on to the Rarlyl8 system to give you the flexibility to fit original tips.

Ah, yes; that system you currently have doesn't use any standard flanges to connect anything. Ignore my suggestion!

Last edited by Megatron-UK; 07-08-2022 at 07:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
das76 (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 11:09 AM
das76
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 134 Posts

@Megatron-UK I was thinking about the opposite in fact. Buying some stock tips or Fabspeed stock replacement tips and cutting off the flanges to convert to straight fitting to accommodate the RarlyL8 muffler

this project now seems to be growing much more complex than it needs to be ! I might just have to resort to another true ‘out of the box ‘system (like Fabspeed muffler/wastegate pipe). I think I’m going to keep my headers. Have them sandblasted and cleaned up if needed

I don’t want to spend a ton of time on this. I’d rather drive the car. And getting a mix of parts from various suppliers just adds complexity, time, cost (I live in Canada so shipping from USA takes more time and money )

for my level or Porschist I’m sure another system will be fine and ANYTHING will be better than the drone I have now.

Last edited by das76; 07-08-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: RarlyL8 - tailpipe / exhaust tip recommendations