964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Where is the EZ69 loctaed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 05:48 AM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Where is the EZ69 loctaed

Do the 964 turbos run a EZ69 unit , if so any idea where it is it located as I believe the thermal paste needs to be reapplied after so many years of the original paste not having been changed
Old 06-27-2022, 09:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

The EZ69 is located left hand side of engine compartment just after the fuse box. I reapplied the thermal paste on mine although it didn't appear to need it. Worth considering though since these are NLA and are specific to each engine.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:52 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Didnt realise they were nla, thats really not good, only way around that is efi conversion
Old 06-27-2022, 07:57 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

My EZ-69 went out. Usually the coil fails and causes the EZ to die.

I replaced the EZ-69 with a aftermarket programable ignition. I used a Electromotive XDI2 from Clewette Engineering , it has bee absolutely solid.
I get to program ignition, dual plug(single plug is an option) , soft touch rev control, knock sensors, valet switch, data logging and a lot more.

the engine looks stock except no distributor

you could also use micro squirt there are more options.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:39 AM
911 2
Burning Brakes

aftermarket programmable ignition, is this a efi conversion and then the car would have to be mapped
Old 06-28-2022, 10:21 AM
Black_Hat
Racer

@9 911 2. No this is only a programable ignition replacement. CIS & everything else remains intact.

programming can be really simple if you want the stock ignition curve of the EZ-69 just copy the stock graph below. ...It is proven safe but leaves a little power untapped.

advancing the ignition "can" give more power (within reason) and knock control helps.

The nice thing is I can go back to stock ignition in a afternoon - I have the distributor, Coil and EZ-69 in a box.

The following users liked this post:
Megatron-UK (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 12:04 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Is there much advantage in terms of economy, power, starting or smoothness while running with that ignition system?

Replacing a distributor with something like a plug-and-plug wasted spark system is extremely compelling!
Old 06-28-2022, 02:41 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

The main advantage is the parts are replaceable - Not so for the EZ-69.

When My EZ-69 went out I bought another , tested it then boxed it all up after the realization #1 my new to me used one could go out at any time and #2 NO more new ones

as far as improvements over stock on a stock engine - well the stock ignition is pretty good But, it's reading 3 teeth on the flywheel and they are not symmetrical.

put a timing light on a C2 turbo and look at the pulley marks while reving the motor , you will see the timing jumping around a bit...this is one reason for the conservative timing on a C2 Turbo

The clewette Xdi2 reads 62-2 teeth , you can put a 62-2 behind your front pulley - the timing is spot on @ all RPM. (Clewette can instal a 62-2 on your pulley)

ask @Metal Guru he put a fly wheel sensor advance mount on his C2 Turbo for slightly more advance - he can explain his results

I have internal upgrades on my motor plus dual plug so the timing tuning and other features had an exponential impact on my motor

Stefan
Old 06-28-2022, 04:06 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, I never knew the ignition timing was based on just 3 teeth on the flywheel. Yeah, that's never going to offer the best in terms of timing resolution; I can see why going to a 62-2 toothed trigger wheel would offer more resolution to allow you adjust your ignition advance far more accurately for a modded motor - I'm guessing engine pickup both on/off boost will be much improved.

At least the system isn't points and condenser system (shudder), I do not miss those at all.

I have read about the scarcity of the EZ69.... it is quite worrying. It's good to know that there is at least an aftermarket option that would work without too many modifications though.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:05 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Stefan, This is great information for me. The 91 turbo I'm working sat outside for 20 years plus. Everything is shot on this car. Some mechanic said he was able to fire the car with starting fluid for a second before I disassembled the entire car. The car was overfilled with oil 22 years ago. I did find black thick oil in the cat and all over in the exhaust. The only sign that the ignition may have worked. The EZ69 is sealed so should be able to hold up. Only 38,000 miles on this car. But now the car is in a million pieces and I'm not sure what direction I should go with the ignition. Yes you are correct. if this one goes then I'm screwed. I could get this entire car built then have the ignition fail under load. Thank you again
Old 06-29-2022, 01:05 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

black hat do you have any more info on your ignition ez69 replacement, I also have a 500 sec mercedes, they also use the ez modules but 8 pin, I was under the impression if they go then only option is a efi conversion
what exactly is in your hardware and how is it programmed
Old 06-29-2022, 01:35 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

I have an electromotive XDi2 from Clewette Engineering
https://www.clewett.com/index.php?ma...dex&cPath=1_13

the XDi2 has been updated with the newer model Xdi 200 see data sheet
https://www.clewett.com/index.php?ma...dex&cPath=1_12

Clewette can install a 62-2 wheel behind your front pulley , coil packs and plug wires come in a complete kit

My engine is Dual Plug so my ignition map is not optimal for a stock motor - Copying the above stock ignition graph into the ignition controller is as easy as filling in an excel work sheet the rest is a regular windows GUI easy to change pages and click to configure , all you need is a windows laptop and serial cable

your best bet is to call the Guy at Clewette and ask he has been a really awesome resource before and after sale

and Kits are cheaper than a EZ-69
Old 06-29-2022, 01:38 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

there are other options like micro squirt
Old 06-29-2022, 01:57 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

I am based in the uk.
I was looking into this as both my porsche and mercedes run CIS, word of warning, never test the spark plugs to ground without disconnecting the ezl, I did a compression check on my merc and damaged the coil, lucky the ezl did not get damaged
I was under the impression mega squirt was a full efi conversion

Quick Reply: Where is the EZ69 loctaed