Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Correct original hood emblem part number?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 10:01 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Correct original hood emblem part number?

Does someone know which hood emblem is the factory original? I don't believe the one on my 94 (3.6) is the original, and the plastic red/black clear has started to peel off, so I want to find an original to replace it. There seem to be a lot of part number variants. Also hoping if I find an old original piece it may not come apart like the ones made later seem to. The original badge on my 73 is all together still and has the most gorgeous patina.

Noticing subtle variations in the letterforms and engraving - the one on the car now has a blocky S, what may be original as a more fluid S... or perhaps the more blocky one happened in the 80s-90s, so I would have to find one like that...

901 559 210 26 (I see ones with this number that say MADE IN GERMANY on the back and appear to be same design as the one on my car)
901 559 210 20 (the one on the car now has this number, but it does not say MADE IN GERMANY and there seems to be a maker insignia reading STUCO)
etc

Last edited by wicks; 06-22-2022 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:46 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The original part on my 92 3.3 says 901.559.210.20, no "Made in Germany" text, but a (R) and a makers insignia that looks like an (AB) inside a circle. I removed this from the car about 12 years ago - I am reasonably confident that it is the original part based on the weathering and discolouration.

The following users liked this post:
wicks (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 06:20 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Looking at the replacement badge on the car (yes, the car is dusty as hell!), you are spot on in your observation of the 'S' in PORSCHE being a slightly blockier design compared to the original, where the curves on the 'S' are more rounded. Seeing them side-by-side it's a night-and-day difference.

Another difference when they are next to each other is the STUTTGART text is much more clearly defined in my replacement badge.

One more thing which is difficult to see but it obvious when you feel both badges is that the central horse section on my replacement badge is bevelled/curved outwards compared to the original which is completely flat in that central section.

Old 06-23-2022, 10:32 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

I suspect the center is flat from being used to close the frunk. This is a common mistake people make and it can damage the crest. I have several replacements and they all vary a little. Supposedly they are still handmade.

The following 2 users liked this post by cobalt:
Megatron-UK (06-23-2022), wicks (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 01:36 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

If they're hand made, or at least made from different hand-made-dies that have been made over time, then that would certainly explain the slight differences in appearance.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:29 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Thanks all - so it does seem that the circle-AB or circle-AR productions are the (original?) better quality. And by Anthony's post, seems like the part .26 would apply to the year of a 965, but unclear since megatron is showing an original numbered .20. Hmm.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:50 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Found a new old stock of the German made (circle A-R) logo on the back. Here the compare - the german made one is a richer gold, has the plastic coating on the colored plastics, as well as on the laurels, on the stallion, and on the P O R S C H E lettering. Based on the general difference in quality and look, I'd call the ones that aren't made by circle A-R complete garbage. P might be selling them though, I think a dealer stuck on the one that came apart before I acquired the car.

The original P box it was in is marked part number .20 'HOOD BADGE', but the badge itself is marked .26. So maybe those numbers were just interchangeable.

Left to right - original on my 73, new old stock unit i just found for 965, then the junk one (which the color plastic peeled itself off of)

Can also see the differences in the letterforms. The junk one is just, well, junky. And here can see what the gel coating does in the light on the lettering. It's sort of like using spot varnish in printing:

Last edited by wicks; 06-30-2022 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Correct original hood emblem part number?