964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Exhaust fitting problems - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 11:30 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust fitting problems - help needed

My mechanic is trying to fit a Fabspeed system to my car to replace the old & damaged BB system but we have a problem with matching the cat bypass pipe to the Porsche final silencer. I have the Fabspeed headers & bypass pipe. There is a c.1.5" gap between the cat bypass pipe and the porsche final silencer and he isn't sure how to bridge it without cutting the bypass pipe and inserting an angled piece of pipe. The turbo mounting bracket is new. Looking at the cat bypass pipe it locates itself at one end on this bracket, so the position of the cat bypass pipe should be just as Porsche intended, and the final silencer and it's bracket are Porsche as well. The turbo is an upgraded K27 hybrid, fitted ages ago.

Fabspeed have been helpful with other questions I had and I have asked them for advice on this but the car is stuck in the garage so thought I would also check on here and see if anyone has any ideas why this might be happening or possible solutions. Thank you.

Last edited by wagonface; 06-07-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:04 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I assume that the compressor coupling is lining up with the intercooler so you can eliminate the bracket as being the source of the misalignment here. I also assume that your suitcase muffler is being held in proper position by the factory bracket.
So you have some choices to make: add some material to the bypass, re-install the cat or ditch the suitcase muffler and go to a swan's neck muffler bypass.

Last edited by Metal Guru; 06-08-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:43 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting indeed - I have the Fabspeed Cat Bypass and it lines up perfectly with the stock "suitcase" muffler...
Seems like too big of a gap to be a bracket misalignment.
Have you checked with Fabspeed?

Brandon
'91 Turbo
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (06-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Exhaust fitting problems - help needed