964 Turbo Start Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 04:00 PM
MonoTurbo
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Turbo Start Problems

Hello Guys,

I m Thomas from Germany have some 964 Turbos, I love them so much, now I have a problem with one of them, it makes me qrazy.
I drive my 3,3 WLS, the car runs perfect, I put them in the garage yesterday, today I start the car, the engine runs 2-3 seconds, than the engine goes out.
I can start 10 times and always the same Game, the engine runs immediately but only 2-3 seconds.

-- the Ignition gone
-- the car get Fuel, because they start imeditly every time
-- I changed all the fuel relays from my other 964 Turbo, same Game again
-- I put the cable from the fuel switch by the Intercooler to Mass, the same Game
-- think the fuel accumulator is not defect, because the engine starts cold everytime immediately 2-3 seconds

If somebody hae an idea, I would be happy for each Tips, sorry for my bad english.

Greetings Tom
Old 03-02-2022, 05:37 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MonoTurbo
Hello Guys,

I m Thomas from Germany have some 964 Turbos, I love them so much, now I have a problem with one of them, it makes me qrazy.
I drive my 3,3 WLS, the car runs perfect, I put them in the garage yesterday, today I start the car, the engine runs 2-3 seconds, than the engine goes out.
I can start 10 times and always the same Game, the engine runs immediately but only 2-3 seconds.

-- the Ignition gone
-- the car get Fuel, because they start imeditly every time
-- I changed all the fuel relays from my other 964 Turbo, same Game again
-- I put the cable from the fuel switch by the Intercooler to Mass, the same Game
-- think the fuel accumulator is not defect, because the engine starts cold everytime immediately 2-3 seconds

If somebody hae an idea, I would be happy for each Tips, sorry for my bad english.

Greetings Tom
Hi Tom

During your previous starts do you smell raw full?

I had a similar issue with my old 930, I would check your both fuel pumps first, One of them might be bad, and check your WUR, Warm Up Regulator pressures. also, check your idol mixture air full ratio. also, I will add the front fuel pump has a check valve that could go bad. Have you replaced the fuel filter? It may be too lean. If it's staring for a few seconds I don't think the full switch of the fuel accumulator or relays or ignition. You will need an AFR gauge and CIS fuel pressure gauges to find the issue. I would remove the air cleaner which you need to do anyway to have access to the WUR, Have someone help you start the car, and as the engine starts press down on the air meter gently for more fuel. and if that helps, then you know it's too lean.

Lets us know what happens,
Helio
Old 03-02-2022, 07:18 PM
MonoTurbo
4th Gear

Dear Helio,

thank you for the tips!

I have in all my Turbo's AFR Gauges with Bosch LSU, the problem is the time if the engine runs is to short, to check this, because the LSU is to cold.
... tomorrow I will first make a new fuel filter inside and then make the test with press little down the air meter.
... if nothing gone, I will order a Cis fuel pressure gauge and proof the check valve at the fuel pump
... I m not sure but if the vavle or the fuel pump is broken, normaly the car not start immidetly, but my car start in less a second ???

I will give feedback whats going on
Greetings Tom
Old 03-02-2022, 07:48 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 311 Posts

If I understand you correctly, your ignition is dropping out?
Old 03-02-2022, 08:52 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 150 Posts

You should be able to use a Allen key press down the fuel mixture and make sure the fuel pumps are running once the car has started or even before starting while the ignition is on.
You can also take the intercooler off press the fuel plunger down opening fuel up to the system. You will hear the fuel pumps run. Taking the intercooler off bypass WUR, and Cold start injector with you operating the Fuel Plunger.
If that doesn't work then could be the EZ69 or coil. Pull a plug to see if it's the coil. All simple stuff.
Old 03-03-2022, 03:56 AM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

running for a moment only means usually fuel is cut out. there is several reasons that can occure.
first is always the ground to intercooler or cut off switch.
you checked that. maybe one of the relais under the seat is faulty /wet or corroded and sends a wrong signal.
next is a fuel pump or wur to test: pressures.
next fuel head - if diagraphm fails there is crazy follow ups such as bad warm start up and similar.
fuel accumulator usually leads to hard warm start and once it runs it runs. even with defective unit.
so no reason for this here.

all this rubber parts inside age. wur can be damaged by higher pressure too. especialy on x33 cars.

if it starts again and again i think this is fuel related - not ez69. usually they die and are done.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:44 AM
MonoTurbo
4th Gear

.... thank you @all, I m really happy to find you!!!
@peterpullin, Yesterday first I look under the seats about relays, but its no motronic motor with DME relay,
so I have change the two releays in front and the two relays in the left rearside by the engine for test...
... by the Turbo I have left side under the seat only the Lambda control unit for the KE Cis and the right side the central control unit,
but today I will look again, maybe I have something not see, also change the parts from my other Turbo....

offtopic, Years ago I have problems with the WUR, the little round iron plate inside have little cracks and the fuel going up in the airintake,
so the car runs with very rich fuel and you smell the fuel, so I have change the little plates by all my cars.

.... on weekend I have time to lift up the car to control the fuel pump and the check vavle
Old 03-03-2022, 07:37 AM
MonoTurbo
4th Gear

.... my lovely 964 Turbo runs again !!!

.... I changed all controlunits under the left seat and as I changed the Fuel Enrichment Relay, 965.618.131.01 the car runs like new!
@peterpullin, I was so stupid first time, only look from the front side under the seat, like the place from the DME from 3.2
but by the Turbos there are on the backside :-)
Then I lay the broken unit 965.618.131.01 in the sun and build back 30 min later and the car also run fine now with the old unit so crazy,
think it was a lttle bit moist inside, because I drive this car only 2-3 times in year.
Next week I will open the unit, to look inside maybe some rust or somthing else, maybe I put some photos here....

So now I m very happy that the car runs perfectly, thank you @all for the inspirations !!!

My Cars: 911L 67 / 911S Softwindow 67 / 911 Targa MFI 73 / 911 Coupe MFI 73 / 911 3.2 Cabrio 86 / 930 Turbo 5 gear 89 / 964 RS EU 91 /
2x 964 Turbo 3.3 91 / 964 Turbo 3.3 WLS x33 1992 / 964 Turbo 3.6 WLS x88 1994 / 997 Turbo manual gear 2007
Old 03-03-2022, 11:03 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Congratulations!
Old 03-03-2022, 02:53 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 150 Posts

Tell me if it looks like mine?

Old 05-18-2022, 12:48 PM
Brian4lev
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 77 Posts

Glad you solved your problem. That was exactly the same issue that I had as well. I changed fuel accumulators etc. At the end of the day mine was cooked as well.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo Start Problems