Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

1991 964 965 Turbo Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 10:03 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Anthony, That Yellow 993 is a mess. That's got to be super tough. The sunroof bits are going one way. I think a small tree limb landed on this roof at one point. So sunroof delete will be the project. Thank you for the offer.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:01 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

I'm throwing away the Fuel entire fuel system and the entire climate control system, suitcase, or box. Not sure what they call it. So I'm looking for all of that if anyone has good parts?
Steering column and pedals are next to go.
Yes those are glue pads with peanut butter. The whole car is stripped down and mice are still in the car eating carpet. I think I'll feel better about this project once the dismantling is done. I'm pretty sure the entire braking and ABS system is junk. I have another relay panel and that ABC relay. So I'll check the system with the whole car stripped down.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:50 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Steve, Here's one of the exhaust. I flipped it the wrong way, not to confuse you. It's not a RHD. It's a normal C2 Exhaust. I'm keeping the Waste gate cat. The other exhaust needs a good cleaning and uses a non-cat waste gate pipe to factory tip.

Old 03-07-2022, 01:11 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
I'm throwing away the Fuel entire fuel system and the entire climate control system, suitcase, or box. Not sure what they call it. So I'm looking for all of that if anyone has good parts?
Yes those are glue pads with peanut butter. The whole car is stripped down and mice are still in the car eating carpet. I think I'll feel better about this project once the dismantling is done. I'm pretty sure the entire braking and ABS system is junk. I have another relay panel and that ABC relay. So I'll check the system with the whole car stripped down.

I'd put a call in to Autobahn dismantlers - I think they are in San Diego. They pull the 964s apart for Singer, last I heard. Send them a list of what you need...? Work out a deal for a large order..?

Brandon
'91 Turbo
Old 03-07-2022, 07:31 PM
ianbsears
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

@Scott Dunavant - Scott, re:HVAC system you seem incredibly thorough so you might have already got to this but I would inspect the hot air tubes that run inside the door sills. Mice like them (they loved mine). I got the last new one from porsche and then had to frankenstein the other one from a 993 tube and a 964 tube. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2022, 07:56 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

I think Autobahn is limited on Parts from Singer. Such as braking and climate control. I kind of need someone parting a complete 993. I know a red Cab sold in St. louis recently. I'm not sure who bought it. All the parts I need are not big sellers and would help someone finish their part out. yes @ianbsears I need to replace those too. I think those are foil wrapped inside and this car kid of has a white acidic break down with anything metal like inside. I might shop aircraft tubing. although I don't want that to heat up my rockers. SCAT-14 3.5" ID Single-Ply Orange Silicone Duct Hose, that way the car will be fresh with it's new exhaust.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:52 PM
ianbsears
Instructor

@Scott Dunavant heat and also noise. they are foil wrapped but are insulated too. Don't know how far gone the suitcase is but I was able to ultrasonically clean and disinfect the entire thing, replace the condenser - good as new.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:18 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

ianbsears Yeah.... 20 years is a long time for moisture to win on the suitcase. Evaporator is good and plastics are good. Pelican shows the rocker heater tube for $100 for each. Do you think they actually have them?
Old 03-10-2022, 08:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

ianbsears Yeah.... 20 years is a long time for moisture to win on the suitcase. Evaporator is good and plastics are good. Pelican shows the rocker heater tube for $100 for each. Do you think they actually have them?
That is good news.

I have not had the best luck with Pelican parts lately. Everything I order has had issues but supply chain issues are quite common these days. The part is available from Porsche for $790 list but can be purchased for $592. Something tells me Pelican is either a copy or it could just be Porsche's carrying costs for something rarely ordered. Although order now as prices appear to be skyrocketing. I just ordered a set of Speedlines yesterday and the cost went up $900 over what I was quoted in December. I also hear it may be harder to get parts out of Germany in the upcoming weeks if things continue to escalate.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:18 PM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

i do not think there will be issues getting parts out of germany. only a price issue. today i payed 2.35 euro for a liter fuel. so all prices raise quick. war is far away - only parts for new cars are produced in the ukraine.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:26 PM
ianbsears
Instructor

@Scott Dunavant Scott, this is the part number of the rocker tubes 96457204101. Literally the hardest thing I have ever had to research. To answer your question - i doubt pelican parts has this for $100 as they are $700+. As I understand (don’t know if this is correct) Porsche occasionally remakes parts like these but I wouldn’t hold my breath. I found that many online folks said they had them but when it came to fulfilling the order we got the last one in NA and Germany and then had to frankenstein 2 used ones together. You can check out my posts on this - My last one has lots of pictures. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2022, 11:50 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

I'll probably pressurize the tube with air from my 2" vacuum hose. Blow it all out.
Steering column, Ignition switch, Pedals, Dash switches, airbags, dash supply vents all removed. The harness looks good. I started removing the tape around it and inspecting. Took the pedals apart and rebuilt with anti-seize. I'm figuring on nearly replacing everything on this car. Anything sitting for 20 years is super bad. Contacts in switches have all gone bad. Nothing like restoring a car twice in 200 miles but 22 years later.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:02 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

I'll probably pressurize the tube with air from my 2" vacuum hose. Blow it all out.
Steering column, Ignition switch, Pedals, Dash switches, airbags, dash supply vents all removed. The harness looks good. I started removing the tape around it and inspecting. Took the pedals apart and rebuilt with anti-seize. I'm figuring on nearly replacing everything on this car. Anything sitting for 20 years is super bad. Contacts in switches have all gone bad. Nothing like restoring a car twice in 200 miles but 22 years later.

Just me but I have taken a few old Porsche's that have sat for 10 or more years with water leaks and bad mold. Surprisingly much more was salvageable than you might think. Of course I had to go through every item inspect and repair or replace. I am not one to replace with new if the original can be repaired. My friend does a lot of long nose restorations and many of the new parts are not the same as the originals so we spend a lot of time repairing and reconstructing original parts. If you have the budget to replace many of these items it won't hurt as the value of these cars continues to rise but I look at it as a challenge to keep things original if I can. Many of the parts you are replacing may still be available from Porsche but items like the heater hoses sit on shelves for years before being sold and although NOS might not be much better than the originals. Porsche pricing as explained to me works that as they get a large quantity of new parts in the price is set to sell. As the inventory is reduced the price increases to keep them on the shelf. Unless they have a new supply on its way the prices can jump significantly especially if they don't plan to restock. Just like when I purchased my GT2 evo uprights 3 years ago for $1000 a set when they got a fresh supply. Last I heard only one side is currently available and pricing is well over $2500 a side. I should have purchased multiple sets at a grand.
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (03-14-2022)
Old 03-15-2022, 06:17 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Yes, I'm trying to place a order. Looks like most of the parts out there are 993. I prefer 993 suitcases because I like that heater shut off and air filter.
heliolps2 (03-31-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 12:17 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

I took the 965 Engine over to a local builder today. Should be a basic rebuild. New Head studs, complete reseal, Rings, bearings, rocker shafts, rockers, new Sport Grind Cams from EBS. The Engine practically looks new inside. Next I'll be shipping the WUR, Fuel Head, and turbo out next. This 965 is being rebuilt to be street driven for shows and Sunday driving. Next will be the Trans for re-gearing. My last 964 turbo had shorter sling shot gears from PR. I prefer to spend the money on gears rather than displacement. I welcome any comments on Trans gearing and the long block rebuild. Thank you

heliolps2 (03-31-2022)

Quick Reply: 1991 964 965 Turbo Repairs