964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Selling the 964 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 10:23 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Dunavant
That Car is remarkable underneath. I've been building 964's off an on since 1996. This year I just took the Classic grey interior out of my 1991 turbo for a restoration. Headliner dash etc. All grey. Your interior subtracts points. Black leather Lower dash and Center Console are more than likely original with it's black door caps, dash and headliner. I know you have grey carpet but I believe Classic grey interiors use grey headliners and dashes. Black above doesn't look correct. That's your huge hit. Interiors can run $20,000
The interior of the car is as from the factory and finished in Slate Grey, not Classic Grey. This was a Leather-to-Sample interior as spec'd by the original buyer and shown on the window sticker. The main issues with my car was the photographer's pictures and the fact that the auction ended on a day when the market melted. I was asking lower 9 months ago but I believe the market for my car is around the $200k-$215k mark. In the end, like I said, I can live with the sale and I will miss the car. But it's a car and that's it. I don't get too attached to anything material.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:50 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Black/Cashmere is really stunning.
As my car was ordered with black, I kinda had to go back to that in my interior re-do. I would have preferred to do something like the cashmere/black combo but with a dark red or maroon for the deviated parts.
That's the problem with buying used after the fact: you buy on condition and you have to accept whatever the colors are within reason, unless a color is really revolting to you. For me, that color is Polar Silver. The first 965 I was offered was Polar Silver/Black and that was a hard pass for me.
Black with maroon/dark red would be something really quite classy; money no object and the ability to spec my car from new, I'd have wanted to do something similar.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,299 Posts

There are some interesting combos for sure. Frank993C4S's 3.6T had cashmere leather with dark blue carpet and a rear shelf vs seats. The only one i had seen like that. I believe the headliners were standard black unless option otherwise and you needed a salesperson who knew what he was doing to spec it out.

Some colors not shown were matador red which is the only red i like and the cousin marbled gray which was also quite rare and nice. One of the other Cobalt blue turbos had #5 with rootwood dash. A previous owner removed some of the classic gray and all of the rootwood bits which IMO was a huge improvement over stock. I prefer basic black and the black carpet with gray hairs commonly used is a ok but hard to clean but isn't as stark as basic black.

My Amazon 928GTS is cashmere black which is a nice combo but my C2 had straight cashmere which was just too much for me so I switched it to all black.

This was the interior of the Violet Blue metallic. # 9 All leather light gray with Magenta. It looks very different then the similar spec'd 3.6T with vinyl interior which IMO was a bit brash in comparison but still a unique car. I installed the all leather factory magenta steering wheel. It had the two plugs for the air bag mounting holes wrapped in leather as well. Something the basic wheel did not get.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:54 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 131 Posts

Cobalt, Check out this console I'm going to reinstall in my 1993 Amethyst. Since she's now a 5 speed and I 86 the Tip. I think the Remaining Full Grey leather Bits can find it's way into this Light grey Raspberry interior. Sorry the magenta dash hit the Road. Is this called raspberry? GAHH has called it that for 30 years. I just ordered Raspberry hides.

Old 08-31-2022, 09:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Did you have it dyed or recovered? Those consoles are quite rare as are the phones to some collectors missing them. I have the same phone in my 928. I was going to remove it years ago, but decided to remove the battery and keep it. It is part of the cars history.

I couldn't tell you how many people go crazy over the Magenta/ light gray leather interior. Especially women seem to go crazy for it. I think it is due to its rarity.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:00 AM
Mdiesel64
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
you were asking 170k in the first post above for 6 months? I have to imagine 4 weeks ago if someone sent you 165k it would have been gone?
Probably not. Not sure why OP didn't think to contact me before listing on BaT!

I offered 200k in March, just never heard back
Old 09-01-2022, 09:52 AM
bmwtmx
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdiesel64
Probably not. Not sure why OP didn't think to contact me before listing on BaT!

I offered 200k in March, just never heard back
I had 4 interested parties who made offers over $200k and I accepted 2. Both then went ghost and I decided to list on BaT. As the auction was well advertised here you had the opportunity to bid and most likely would have gotten it cheaper than the $200k you mentioned. In the end, you didn't bid so you weren't serious. I had enough of tire kickers making offers, asking me to send 100 photos, documents, etc. and then disappear. As someone who goes through cars more than I'd like to admit, I have found that for every buyer there are untold numbers of people who waste time. Buying a car like this is expensive and I understand some are on the fence but I don't have patience for it. I have no regrets. This is your loss.
The following users liked this post:
Metal Guru (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 10:53 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Yup. A lot of people will offer to buy your car until it's time to write the check.
Talk is cheap.....
Old 09-01-2022, 12:14 PM
Mdiesel64
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtmx
I had 4 interested parties who made offers over $200k and I accepted 2. Both then went ghost and I decided to list on BaT. As the auction was well advertised here you had the opportunity to bid and most likely would have gotten it cheaper than the $200k you mentioned. In the end, you didn't bid so you weren't serious. I had enough of tire kickers making offers, asking me to send 100 photos, documents, etc. and then disappear. As someone who goes through cars more than I'd like to admit, I have found that for every buyer there are untold numbers of people who waste time. Buying a car like this is expensive and I understand some are on the fence but I don't have patience for it. I have no regrets. This is your loss.
Quite the opposite, as i had made my offer and you told me you would get back to me -- and then i never heard from you again.

Sure, anyone could have bid, but getting ghosted when you've already made an offer makes it seem like you too, weren't serious. There is no point in begging someone to take your money.
Surely wasn't scouring the internet for your listing to pop up, either.

"If you weren't invited to the party, don't ask to go - they didn't want you there in the first place"

--
Either way, great sale, new owner will enjoy.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:54 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdiesel64
Quite the opposite, as i had made my offer and you told me you would get back to me -- and then i never heard from you again.

Sure, anyone could have bid, but getting ghosted when you've already made an offer makes it seem like you too, weren't serious. There is no point in begging someone to take your money.
Surely wasn't scouring the internet for your listing to pop up, either.

"If you weren't invited to the party, don't ask to go - they didn't want you there in the first place"

--
Either way, great sale, new owner will enjoy.
200 budget you can get a real nice one - there is one low mile black one in Miami area with maint receipts etc - they fishing for 225 but I bet 200 talks
Old 09-01-2022, 05:37 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 279 Posts

Close this thread!
The following 4 users liked this post by Igooz:
cobalt (09-09-2022), das76 (09-02-2022), peterpullin (09-09-2022), Scott Dunavant (09-05-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 01:05 AM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

I found another C2 Turbo with a similar interior. This 1994 on BAT recently brought $200,000 with a full repaint and tape lines. I am not used to seeing a interior like this in the 964 series. But glad to know it's factory.

Old 09-09-2022, 09:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

That is a pretty rare interior. I had a friend with a slate gray over this but the car was totalled. The interior was fine but the tow company threw the bumpers and bits in the interior destroying the panels. It's nearly impossible to do anything with it once damaged. Unique but annoying as standard colors can always be redyed.

BTW that car is missing the covers for the door locks so I suspect it has all sorts of issues. I guess I missed that one. Do you have a link. There were 2 94's that sold on BaT in recent months the black one and red one. Roughly $400 and $500k.

Last edited by cobalt; 09-09-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 01:53 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

BaT - unbelievable for sellers / really bad idea for buyers

true 99/100 auctions period
Old 09-09-2022, 04:22 PM
Scott Dunavant
Rennlist Member

It's hanging with the fancy language on BAT. Don't talk about what it costs you to own and repair.

Quick Reply: Selling the 964 Turbo