964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cobalt
I don't think there should be a difference either way. The stock muffler is just a big can. the stock muffler has a J bend pipe that goes into the can and has a series of holes in it to vent the gases behind a baffle plate to reduce noise. The J pipe basically mimics the stock muffler without having to go through the baffle therefore allows more sound. Hp should not be altered you may reduce back pressure a wee bit but who cares it sounds much better.

Fabspeed recommends the cat bypass with the stock muffler.
Is this your way of saying "RUF doesn't know what they are talking about" ?

RUF do got a lot of credibility, your comparision could be a bit simplistic
Old 04-26-2004, 09:32 PM
bjb
Advanced

Y.S. - I was at Hershey (but drove my 993 rather than my '92 C2 Turbo). I was surprised that there were so many C2 Turbos there. I think I saw 4, counting one '91 for sale. All with stock exhaust, all 3.3's. Mine has the full B&B setup like you mention, and it is pretty loud. You won't be sneaking up on anyone with that setup.

BJB
Old 04-26-2004, 09:54 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Well i only saw a Black and a red one along with a nice silver 3.6 Turbo.The red one for sale looked nice but had around 56K miles.
Later, Yasir
Old 04-27-2004, 10:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally posted by Staffan
Is this your way of saying "RUF doesn't know what they are talking about" ?

RUF do got a lot of credibility, your comparision could be a bit simplistic
It's not that I am saying that Ruf does not know what they are talking about. I had the pleasure of meeting the man himself back in 1984 before he gained the notoriety he has today. I thought he was a brilliant man with great insight and knowledge. I respect his words but I think if you had the opportunity to talk to him personally he would say little to no change would be observed. IMO

I had emails back and forth with Ruf regarding the same topic back in November. Their response to me was that they saw no significant improvement regarding Hp changes by removing the muffler alone. That is their reason for not providing a J pipe. They felt it was of no value to spend money if no Hp increase was achieved. I find it rather curious that two totally different responses were given to the same question.

To me, if anything, I noticed a minimal improvement in throttle response but I would say no Hp gains by removing the muffler. This would indicate a decrease in back pressure. Then again only a dyno test can tell for sure.

Fabspeed has a very good reputation also. If you go to their website I think it spells things out rather clearly. Yes my response may be a bit simplistic but the muffler itself is very basic in design. I don't believe they would offer a J pipe if their results showed a decrease in power.

I agree that the only value in removing the muffler is purely superficial and is done to add sound to a very quiet car. I personally prefer the throaty exhaust sound over the whisper quiet of the factory muffler.

I doubt however that 15hp would be lost by removing the muffler alone. IMO
Old 04-27-2004, 04:45 PM
James.E
Advanced

As posted earlier, I have done a back to back test with the muffler vrse J-pipe ( on the most accurate dyno in the uk). Removing the muffler is worth 5rwhp and slightly better throttle responce.

The best option IMO is to remove the cat and keep the muffler.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:55 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Thats exactly what i have decided to do.Now i need some nice looking muffler tips,any ideas ?
Old 04-27-2004, 06:48 PM
straight6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yasir,
Love my GHL's 3" polished, very classy...
Old 04-27-2004, 07:40 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

David,
Is your car not done yet ? I need to look at the wheels and also the rear end to see how the exhaust looks.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:24 PM
straight6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Next week...
Old 05-01-2004, 12:20 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

I have the B&B headers and exhaust. No cat. However, when TPC installed my new turbo, Tom said that I had to get rid of the B&B muffler. He said that I was losing a fair amount (didn't quote numbers) of power and response. I know mufflers can make a lot of difference from experimenting on my Rx7. Maverick mentioned the Techart muffler. Does its interior have a full 3 inches? What other high flow mufflers are there worth considering?

Gordon
Old 05-04-2004, 08:50 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not sure about the interior dimensions. My car is currently trying to pass emmissions my Nos was high due to lack of cats. When I get it back i will see if I can determine the ID of the pipes.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:55 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Maverick: Just trying to catch up on the posts. I am fairly sure now that I am going to have Fabspeed make an exhaust for me. They are only about 30 minutes from my house and that's the primary reason I'm heading that way. I have discussed what I need in the way of flow and pulled out my current exhaust and took it over there. They are going to size it to give me a deeper sound as well (longer and higher volume muffler). BTW, do you have any boost control issues with the humidity down there?

Gordon
Old 05-05-2004, 07:15 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

None that I have come accross. I am not running any kind of boost control, and have a 1bar spring. She runs like a top but it is amazing to see the difference when the heat hits, like it is now, the affect on how the car runs...for sure they like cool/cold air to run at optimum.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:42 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Mav,
Beautiful car,however i would like to know what suspension set up you are running ? Struts/springs ? Any spacers/sway bars ? What size tires on your stock wheels ? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:31 PM
gmonsen
Instructor

Mav,

If I ever get around to converting to fuel injection, I'll stick an aftermarket engine management system on there, like a Haltech or Motec. The Haltech on my Mazda let's me control fuel and timing by barometric pressure, temperature, etc. You can compensate a lot for weather.

Yasir: If you go with some of the better high end shocks and springs, you can really get the car to ride much smoother than stock and still handle for the street. Then, for track days, you stiffen up the bounce a bit. The Motons I have do that and the JRZ's do the same thing. With these you also can sort of set the full shock range by adding or subtracting gas pressure in the shocks. Go to the site below for an explanation...

http://www.theracersgroup.com/parts/...cks/shocks.htm

Gordon

Quick Reply: Exhaust question...