964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

High Flow turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts
Default High Flow turbo

Well I got my car back yesterday. Installed were the new HF turbo, three spoke techart style steering wheel and short shift. The motorsport sway came in and was not correct for my car, that will be another days issue.

The car checked out fine running what looks like about .9+ bar. A little over 13.1 PSI.

I have to admit the HF turbo was not what I expected.

The turbo is very nice. Boost appears to start rising in 1st much earlier at about 2100 rpm the gauge is reading .1 bar by 2500 rpm I appear to be at .7 or above since the gauge does not read above that. It holds very firm and the car loves the higher rpms now. The power on the other hand does not seam to come on the same way. More of a nice smooth progression vs. a mass surge of power. (reduced lag) It appears to have rounded or flattened out the bell curve a bit over stock bringing up the front and rear of the curve. I am not sure if it is because of the way it feels but there might be a little less at the peak. More of a street improvement then track.

The weather was crappy and I was late so I did not have a chance to get a real feel. Sundays GW outing should be a good test.

IMO the three spoke steering wheel is one of the best improvements so far. It appears to feed back more from the road and allows my hands to rest lower on the wheel than before and at the same time gives me a little extra leg room which was much needed.

The short shift is nice. I would have liked a little more reduction in throw but the improvement is noticeable. For the money, I think it is worth doing.

I will let you know more monday after the GW Bridge outing.

Old 04-02-2004, 01:36 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Time to take her on the dyno! Too bad we didn't get a before/after test...
Old 04-02-2004, 01:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I agree.

We should see about a dyno day. The charts should tell us quite a bit.

Any response from Roberto?
Old 04-03-2004, 09:26 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anthony,

what happended to your stock turbocharger? I have a friend with a 930 3.0 turbo who is looking for a turbo 3,6 turbocharger for his car - please let me know if you're selling yours!

Thanks andd best regards

Emilios

P.S. I still haven't found some time to take / post pics of my new spoiler - will do so over the weekend.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:06 AM
straight6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guess I'll be holding off on the K27 HF... I love the surge!
Old 04-03-2004, 12:04 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by straight6
Guess I'll be holding off on the K27 HF... I love the surge!
Straight6

Definitely want to talk about this on the 4th, however the wife is not privy to the turbo exchange.

I will say that although the surge is somewhat minimized it appears to be giving the car more usable power and greater stability. You can play/throttle steer and regulate speed more effectively. Gain power and speed earlier and carry it longer. Therefore giving the car a less awkward feeling. I think after tomorrow I will find that the car is like a fine kitchen knife that finally received a much needed sharpening. Then again a nice set of cams would sharpen it a bit more.

Are you making it to Patericks?

Emilios,

I have had a couple of people already contact me.

I would be interested in selling it if I can get about 50% or more of what a new one is worth. Otherwise might as well keep it. It appears to be in excellent shape as is everything else on the car and I have been saving the original parts as I swap things out, But!!
Old 04-03-2004, 02:40 PM
straight6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tomorrow really depends on 2 things. First and foremost the weather, and second what time I get home tonight... I will call you tomorrow either way.

Old 04-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Hey Anthony,

Very nice assesment of the HF turbo.....that's what I have experienced also...

I have a DNYA PACK dyno in Nyack and would extent to you a free DYNO session...let me know if you are interested...!

Straight6, sorry I did'nt have much time to talk with you today, just got that 3.0 turbo 968 running and was deep in the Haltech programing...

Let's talk on Monday about the exhaust situation...

http://65.215.66.59/deman/index.php

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 04-03-2004, 06:49 PM
straight6
Addict
Rennlist Member

No problem Rick. I'll talk to you Monday...
Old 04-03-2004, 11:29 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cobalt,
We are nearing now a total of 100 HFs sold. What you are feeling is a better match from the cam to boost transition. When the power becomes better matched you will have less of a "boot came out of the sky and kicked my car in the are" feeling. It never stops pushing. If you were to run another boost gauge and were pushing 1 bar you would notice that unlike the stock turbo the HF is maintain big push up top as well. The curve is more usable across the entire band. As you continue to play with the turbo you will see that it is truly a special breed and something that was badly needed in the industry. The other good thing about the turbo is it can and will work for future upgrades. We recently finished a car that was well built and carried a HF, at .5 bar the car was making 400RWHP!! The owner was floored. It moves a lot of air
Old 04-04-2004, 01:27 AM
emilios
Burning Brakes

Stephen,

As I am also very interested in the HF, I would if possible, like to know how will it change /affect a standard car (with stock headers, exhaust, wastegate etc), power-wise and power delivery / turbo lag?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Emilios
Old 04-04-2004, 08:05 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Rick,

Thank you that is very generous.

I would love to take you up on your offer. Let me know.

Emilios & Stephen,

I had the car out yesterday and the more I drive it the more I like the HF turbo. The car really loves the higher rpms now. It doesn't feel so dead above 5000. Power comes on so much more smoothly and controlled. I punched it yesterday in 1st and the rear tires just lit up. You can feel the back end pulling to the right from the power coming on at lower rpms. Before it came on later and just kind of bounced around.

I am running late for the GW Bridge event. It just started to rain so I don't know how much I will learn today. I will keep you posted.

Later
Old 04-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 203 Posts

Hello Anthony,

The offer is open...let me know when it's good for you...

That HF turbo will prove itself a very worthy investment over time....

Straight6, you wont miss that kick in the pants after you install the HF...much less lag in the transition from no boost to full boost and much better power across the board.....

Hope today was fun for you guys....not too much rain...

http://65.215.66.59/deman/index.php
Old 04-04-2004, 03:27 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Cobalt: when you really get into the twisties, or on the track for a DE event, THATS when you will come to appreciate the HF turbo. The way in which the unit delivers power will allow you to time the application of power on the exits. The other, and admittedly more fun, difference will be the way cars keep getting smaller in your rear view mirror as you pass 5,000 RPM on the tach. The thing just never runs out of breath. With the SC 330 cams, I still get a nice kick, and it will break loose in 2nd gear when it "hits". So my advice, if you want some of the "kick" back, add the cams, and you will truly have the best of both worlds.
What wheel did you add? Please post a picture when you can. I have had my eye on a RUF wheel for a while, but have not decided to part with the $800 for it yet. Thanks and enjoy the turbo.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:26 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

An ignorant question but does this all apply to a 91/92 C2 Turbo too ? Sounds like thats what i need.
Later, Yasir

Quick Reply: High Flow turbo