964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

A question about Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 09:44 AM
Jim Profit
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default A question about Exhaust

Started up my car (3.3 turbo) after it stood for a while. When I started, "cold exhaust smoke" came from the right exhaust pipe (stopped shortly afterwards) and then it disappeared.
Then and I let it idle for about 5 minutes. Did not notice any strange about how the engine was running but afterwards when I touched the tailpipes left one was still cold and the right a little warm.

Started to wonder if the "left cylinders" dident fire up but I think I would have noticed?
Or is it so that the exhaust gases is led in some way so this is normal? Thinking that it's single turbo etc? ..

Please help, I'm a little bit worry about this :-)
Old 04-01-2021, 11:02 AM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

the one on the left (drivers side) is usually a waste gate pipe not exhaust .

Old 04-01-2021, 11:10 AM
Jim Profit
Intermediate

Thanks 👍😊
Old 04-01-2021, 12:12 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

All is normal.
The smoke is normal, and will even happen after only sitting for a couple weeks, let alone the entire winter.

But if & when you DO indeed let it sit for many months over the winter, I would highly suggest that in the Fall just prior to storage but with still at least one more "run" out on the roads, you put in a high quality NON ethanol fuel plus a stabilizer. I use Sunoco's Optima 95 non-ethanol. It is a very stable fuel that has a long shelf life. Very good for winter storage. And prior to that last ride I also put in some Stabil fuel stabilizer / moisture eliminator. That way I ensure that the mixture runs all the way through the lines, injectors, etc from that last drive.

The exhaust portion of your questioning is also normal. As Black-Hat said above, the drivers side is your wastegate off the turbo, and thus that side Tip will only get hot when you're running the car hard & going WOT to where the wastegate opens to dispel the gases on over-boost.

Car looks beautiful Jim. Be sure to warm your oil up real good too before hammering down & going WOT. My car seems to take a good 7-8 minutes of driving through the gears before its warm enough.

Also, since it appears you may be new to the car, and not fully adept to its nuances,... another thing to keep fresh in your mind, is that your oil level dash gauge will ONLY read accurately when you've been at idle rpm for at least 5 or so seconds. I usually glance down at it when at stop lights, as that's a good time to let it idle long enough for the gauge needle to rise up to accurate reading.

Enjoy!!
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 04-01-2021 at 12:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Profit (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 12:45 PM
Jim Profit
Intermediate

Thanks bweSteve ! Its my first aircoold and I'm grateful for all help I can get. 😊
The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (04-02-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 04:29 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
The smoke is normal, and will even happen after only sitting for a couple weeks, let alone the entire winter.
But if & when you DO indeed let it sit for many months over the winter, I would highly suggest that in the Fall just prior to storage but with still at least one more "run" out on the roads, you put in a high quality NON ethanol fuel plus a stabilizer. I use Sunoco's Optima 95 non-ethanol. It is a very stable fuel that has a long shelf life. Very good for winter storage. And prior to that last ride I also put in some Stabil fuel stabilizer / moisture eliminator. That way I ensure that the mixture runs all the way through the lines, injectors, etc from that last drive.
The exhaust portion of your questioning is also normal. As Black-Hat said above, the drivers side is your wastegate off the turbo, and thus that side Tip will only get hot when you're running the car hard & going WOT to where the wastegate opens to dispel the gases on over-boost.
White smoke = water vapor
Blue smoke = oil burning in the combustion chamber
Black smoke = rich mixture

As for fuel in winter storage, Stabil is not needed if you have winter blend. Winter blend is available starting October 1 of every year. It doesn't contain the chemicals that summer blend does that cause summer blend to go sour over the winter. Summer blend has additives that raise the Reid vapor pressure, which reduces fuel vaporization and lowers smog in cities.
I've made sure that I always have winter blend on board in the Fall and I've never had an issue. I think one year my fuel was a year old and it was fine.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:55 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

hmmm,... not sure "winter blend" is available down here in the mid-atlantic. I've never seen it advertised,.. but I'll ask my buddy who owns our Sunoco / Service shop where I get all my fuel ( + Cam2 Purple for my Camaro's)

Quick Reply: A question about Exhaust