964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Tools Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Tools Again

Ok, my car is off the lift and on jack stands for a while due to a pothole bending one rear wheel. So I'm taking the time to try and figure out my tools and air compressor. The pic is what I have which is a LOT of tools. So much that the bag will not roll up completely nor will the snaps ever connect. I have look at other threads pics and they have nowhere near this many tools. So will the snaps ever work and is this close to the correct tools and air compressor also?

Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,952 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Ouch that hurt.

You seem to have too many as you state but it changes depending on model and MY. I do not believe the tool on the far left nor the 24mm belong along with the long bar. You should have 5 combination box wrenches and the 19mm tire lug wrench should be stored with the jack. Your compressor seems to be the later style used in the late 94's and the 993's with additional safety light but it is fine and you have the 3 attachments. Shame about the broken tab. I had one compressor loose its tabs by an overzealous Concours judge who bent them too far back and broke them. It is actually possible to glue them back but you have to be careful to only unlatch them.

Maybe if you spread them out better it will be easier to tell.

Also the early cars had snaps on the bags the later had strings all had the grayish/white interior to the bag. The replacement kits you can buy have the wrong interior black.

Last edited by cobalt; 01-03-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:39 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Anthony, knew you would know. Here is a better pic of all of the tools. The one boxed 13/12 MM says Chrom-Vanadium W Germany on it and the open wrenches have Selected-Special-Steel W Germany on them? So with the correct number of tools should the snaps work? The long bar works with the lug socket on the far left but then there is the lug Klein wrench that will not fit in the bag. I probably need help on how the jack and its handle are suppose to be installed as mine are pretty lose? Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:30 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 663 Posts

yea, ouch. that rim bend hurts as I look at it. But it looks like you have the newer 40 bolt Alurad RH3.6 rims, so it should be easier to match a replacement.
The older 38 bolt Alurad RH36 Speedlines are much harder to find (I have the older version which they stopped building in 2004 timeframe).

Regarding your toolkit,... we've had this conversation several times with others too,... so take a look at this thread, which might help you...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...964-turbo.html

Similar to you,... I have too many tools in my bag too. But since I am no longer concerned with whether a Concours Judge tells me that I have a tool (that DOES actually help me while on the road for MY 3.3 964 Turbo), that should not be in there. I just DO NOT CARE anymore. These tools are now very expensive and even more difficult to find,... so I am keeping ALL of them. Does my bag snap shut? well yes it does, nicely, BUT I currently do not ever snap it. To preserve the snaps themselves, I tie one of my ice hockey skate laces around it and call it a day. Besides I do not want to continually snap-&-un-snap the bag, cuz eventually they might tear the bag.

As Anthony said, the bag with the whiter interior and snaps is appropriate for the earlier 3.3 Turbo's. Based on my inquires to guys with all original cars,... most of the U.S. based cars starting in 1993 have the bags with straps to wrap around them (but of course those were guys with the RSA's, since there were no 1993 3.3 Turbo's in the U.S.).

It's nice to see that you have the original sunroof crank too. That one is expensive (seems there are now quite a few on eBay though. Was not the case back when I needed to source one).

The one tool I find elusive, is the 21mm spark plug wrench. My bag came with a 16mm Spark Plug wrench (999.571.054.02),... yet my 3.3 Turbo uses the spark plug Bosch WR6 DPO, which is a 21mm plug. So I need the 477.012.203.A with the spring.
If anyone knows of one for sale, please let me know. Suncoast & others seem to only sell that 21mm wrench without the spring.

=Steve
Old 01-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve,

Well no, these are the 38 bolt wheels and Joe at GMP is going to order the lip and barrel to fix this one. The bad news it could take 3 weeks to 2 months +? So will be out of service for a while.

I do have the 21mm spark plug socket that has never been used so that's good. When the wheel got bent I was in town and I thought, use my never been used spare and pump or call a flatbed......here came the flatbed

Thanks
Old 01-02-2019, 07:37 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

good reply Steve. good to hear you at least have a plan for a 38-bolt outer barrel replacement.

question: If / once we pump up our spares, are they difficult to re-collapse? I've never seen anyone post on re-collapsing their donut. Hard to do?

Btw, how N the heck did you miss the pothole with your front, prior to hitting with the rear?

=Steve
Old 01-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Well Steve, I did hit it with the front but the difference in a 225/40 and a 285/30 tire seemed to be the difference? And the rear rim sticks out further than the front so it got more of it. Plus the temp was in the 30's and as I'm leaving the house I say to myself, self...you forgot to put air in the tires, oh well I need new ones anyway. Stupid......

As for the spare in 34 years of Pcars I have never used one of the compact spares so I do not know. My 996 had a flat and I used its spare but it was not a collapsible one.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:49 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

We don’t have roads that bad where I am from in San Antonio! Dallas and Houston on the other hand...
I will look in my tool kit this week and post a note for you.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Well Igooz, it was man made. A pipeline repair company cut two test holes in the far right lane of a divided 6 lane road and filled one with asphalt and the other with cement and sand. Then it rained almost 4 inches and washed out the un-dried concrete leaving a square hole with a straight sharp edge of pavement...BAM! The good news is they were there the next day when I went back to take pics and are paying for the repairs. Thanks
Old 01-03-2019, 12:20 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

ooooo,... well that's good news that they are paying. In that case, don't tell them it is a 3-piece rim, and have them buy an entire new rear rim!!
Old 01-03-2019, 12:34 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
ooooo,... well that's good news that they are paying. In that case, don't tell them it is a 3-piece rim, and have them buy an entire new rear rim!!
I was going to do that but Joe says it will not match..... So the plan now is to order from Germany a 38 hole rim and have my local painter match the clear coat and screw it together myself. Going to be a while before this is over......

Thanks
Old 01-03-2019, 04:48 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Joe? ... or Jim D? jdorociak@gmail.com
Old 01-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Ginnmillracing
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 for Jim Dorociak
Old 01-03-2019, 09:16 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bweSteve
Joe? ... or Jim D? jdorociak@gmail.com
I know Jim well and emailed him but he said it would have to be replaced so went to Joe to get one ordered from Germany. I bought the wheels from Joe maybe 10 years ago.

Quick Reply: Tools Again