964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

The EZ69 EOL/ reliability and the Pink Elephant in the room

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 03:51 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts
Default The EZ69 EOL/ reliability and the Pink Elephant in the room

I have been unfortunate to have that P.O.S. EZ69 go out on my car. I was lucky enough to buy another used. My Friend had one go out , then another friend.

I took several and put them in a EDVT chamber and slowly raised the the temp to soften the glue. The glue had aged and would not soften. The EDVT Engineer said the EZ69 was smoking but would not soften. I took the gorilla approach and forced the EZ69 open and found burnt traces and components. I got a hold of several more dead EZ69’s and repeated the process – all had hard glue and burned traces and components.

The EZ69 was not Porsche’s best work But it worked now 20 years later after a life in the engine compartment they have all reached end of life and can/will go out at any time.

Look at the 3 teeth on a 964 turbo, they are NOT symmetrical – Porsche set the timing Very conservative. Hook up a timing light and look at the pulley TDC mark with the engine running – the timing jumps around – the resolution is terrible – hence the conservative timing.

Do yourself a favor save a lot of worry/heart ache . ...Take a Video of your 964 T running with all stock ignition parts, the pull your EZ96, Coil , distributor, plug wires and put them in dry storage THEN buy and install an aftermarket ignition.

Clewette has stand alone -this is what I did or you can use megasquirt/ micosquirt i'm sure there are others.

With the Clewette you gain tune ability , rev limiter , Knock control , ability to control boost onset or other accessory like meth injection , Valet switch and more.

You can go back stock at any time.

One of my friends who made the switch was offered a ridiculous price for his car, it took an afternoon to switch back to normal , six months later he got a call from Saudi Arabia the EZ69 expired. My Friend sold his used Xdi 2 to the guy .

Just my 2 cents

Old 11-26-2018, 12:13 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Hat
I have been unfortunate to have that P.O.S. EZ69 go out on my car. I was lucky enough to buy another used. My Friend had one go out , then another friend.

I took several and put them in a EDVT chamber and slowly raised the the temp to soften the glue. The glue had aged and would not soften. The EDVT Engineer said the EZ69 was smoking but would not soften. I took the gorilla approach and forced the EZ69 open and found burnt traces and components. I got a hold of several more dead EZ69’s and repeated the process – all had hard glue and burned traces and components.

The EZ69 was not Porsche’s best work But it worked now 20 years later after a life in the engine compartment they have all reached end of life and can/will go out at any time.

Look at the 3 teeth on a 964 turbo, they are NOT symmetrical – Porsche set the timing Very conservative. Hook up a timing light and look at the pulley TDC mark with the engine running – the timing jumps around – the resolution is terrible – hence the conservative timing.

Do yourself a favor save a lot of worry/heart ache . ...Take a Video of your 964 T running with all stock ignition parts, the pull your EZ96, Coil , distributor, plug wires and put them in dry storage THEN buy and install an aftermarket ignition.

Clewette has stand alone -this is what I did or you can use megasquirt/ micosquirt i'm sure there are others.

With the Clewette you gain tune ability , rev limiter , Knock control , ability to control boost onset or other accessory like meth injection , Valet switch and more.

You can go back stock at any time.

One of my friends who made the switch was offered a ridiculous price for his car, it took an afternoon to switch back to normal , six months later he got a call from Saudi Arabia the EZ69 expired. My Friend sold his used Xdi 2 to the guy .

Just my 2 cents

This is why I have two spares for mine. I was lucky to buy them cheap years ago.

Quick Reply: The EZ69 EOL/ reliability and the Pink Elephant in the room