964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

964 Turbo S with powerkit

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004 | 07:57 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Default 964 Turbo S with powerkit

Hello all.

I got two questions, that I would would really like to get answers for.

1.) What factory upgrade kits where available for the 964 Turbo (all versions) ?

2.) Saw an advertisment about a 964 Turbos S that had a powerkit from factory that would give it 452hp directly from the factory. Does this exist?

Hope there is someone who knows about this.

Cheers
Rassel
Old 01-28-2004 | 12:11 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Rassel,
There was a 355 HP kit available for the Turbo from PAG.
There was a 370 HP+? Turbo S2 kit availalable from Andial.
There was the 385 HP kit available for the Turbo 3.6
The Turbo S was a 381 HP Turbo and this kit to the best of my knowledge was never sold by PAG to outside customers.
Then you had all the stuff from Porsche Motorsports.
I have never heard of a 452 HP kit from the factory available for purchase.
Again you do not provide a location but be very wary of Turbo S adverts. Only 81 were made and most are in the hands of collectors. I know of two for sale in Malaysia and one for sale in Germany.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-29-2004 | 10:30 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Adrian, a dealer in Calif. called www.specialtysales.com has one for sale. Another dealer just sold a 1600 mile 94 tubo S here in America for 140 two weeks ago. I can't say how authentic the cal. one is. However Mark from www.flachbau.com knew of the car and I think he believes it's real.
Old 01-30-2004 | 05:12 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Les,
Rassel was asking about the Turbo S not a Turbo 3.6 S. The Turbo S was never exported to the USA. There are three road going 964 Turbos which use a S.
Turbo S (381 HP) ROW only.
Turbo S2 (322 HP from factory, 370 HP + from Andial) USA only.
Turbo 3.6 S (385 HP) Worldwide.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-30-2004 | 11:06 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Adrian, sometime when you have time could you expound on the years and differences because you just gave me quite an education. I thought a 964 turbo S always referred to my 94 car. Did any of the other cars come to NA? Can you refer me to some books so I can learn more?
Old 01-31-2004 | 02:30 AM
rsa
Addict
Rennlist Member

GODAMMM Les, your stable is absolutely to DIE for. Got to post picks!

There's a Flachbau for sale on the PCA website for 92,5K. 19K miles. Looks awesome. Is that a good price? It seems that others that come up on ebay reach higher prices.

(I asked this question on the 964 board)
Old 01-31-2004 | 03:58 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Les,
All this is in my book including pictures, kit details, everything I could find.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 01-31-2004 | 08:03 AM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Default 3.3 litre and 3.6 litre

Les,
Indeed there was a 3.3 litre S version as well a later 3.6 litre S version (both 964 turbos). The latter was available at dealerships in the US while the former was not. From what I recall, the quoted power of the 3.3 litre one was almost as impressive as that of the 3.6 litre one, given the displacement difference between the engines. A couple of similarities that come to mind were that both had the rear fender scoops (inlets) and both had their rear wings painted at the edge too (as you know the basic 964 turbos, 3.3 litre and 3.6 litre examples, have a black edge on the rear wing). There are other differences as regards numbers produced, looks, scripts, weight, etc. if you are interested.
Old 01-31-2004 | 01:12 PM
Les Quam
Pro

rsa, I am wrong person to provide opinion on value of Flachbau, due to my lack of knowledge. I bought mine at an estate sale from brother of deceased who didn't know how rare it was. When I first saw car I did not even know what it was. Perhaps Adrian could give us some insight on value's. Also a website called Flachbau.com exists operated by Mark Smith. If you go to site you can e mail him. He is always helpful. It was his site that informed me as to what the exactly the car I viewed at the estate sale was . Upon viewing his site I ran back as fast as my feet could carry me to buy the 94 turbo S. Mark is familiar with most Flachbau's in USA.

Adrian, I apologize I am not familiar with name of your book or where I can obtain one please help?
Old 01-31-2004 | 03:32 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Here are some details for ya:

http://www.porscheclubgb.com/uploads...porsche_3.html

http://www.porscheclubgb.com/uploads...porsche_s.html
Old 01-31-2004 | 03:46 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Les,
The book is available from www.bentleypublishers.com or Amazon and a few other places. A couple of bookshops in CA have it. That place in Burbank, Aero and Auto, something like that.
If you look for Porsche 911 Enthusiasts companion you will find it.
You can see it on my web site as well, the whole title and what the cover looks like. However last time I looked it was on the home page of Bentley.
RRP is $US69.95
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 02-04-2004 | 10:25 PM
apexernsx
Rennlist Member

Adrian, I am an owner of one of the 20 1992 C2 S2 Turbos that were sold in the US. I just bought and recieved a copy of your book which I first learned about in your post in this thread. Your book is magnificient and I can not imagine how much time and effort that must have gone into it. Anyone that is interested in the years covered could not possibly find more pertinent information in one place. You may find it interesting to hear that my C2 S2, with almost 70,000 miles on it and no engine overhaul, was recently dynoed at 349RWHP. So much for the Porshe factory's published 322 HP which I assume was measured at the crank. Bruce
Old 02-04-2004 | 10:32 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Bruce, how about some pictures and some background on your ultra rare car. I just ordered Adrians book and can't wait until it gets here. How long have you owned it? How did you find it? How did you know it even existed? How do you authenticate one of those. We need more details if you wouldn't mind.
Old 02-04-2004 | 11:47 PM
apexernsx
Rennlist Member

Les, I have owned it for 4 years and verified the history of the car through the original dealer, have the original window sticker, and a certificate of authenticity from Porsche of North America stating it is a S2 and that tere were only 20. I also talked with Andial about the car. Besides Adrian's excellent and accurate description of these cars the new Ludvigsen 3 volume series covering all Porsches also describes the cars and pegs the production at 20. Also Car and Driver tested one of the 20 and called it in the article "the fastest porsche in the land". I have tracked the car several times and in a straight line it is as quick as the stock 96-7 TT. The only difference in the exterior of the car from a std 92 Turbo is a S2 logo below the rear spoiler. Wheels and tires are likewise like the std turbo. Interior is also like the std Turbo. All luxury features are also retained. Bruce
Old 02-05-2004 | 02:31 AM
Les Quam
Pro

Bruce, I am looking foreword to Adrians book to learn more about your car. How were you able to work with Porsche to get them to commit to a specific number of your cars imported to the USA. I would like to do that with either of my S cars. Also how did you find your car, were you looking for it or did you stumble on it. Have you ever heard or seen any of the other 19 here in the USA? I thought my 94 S with it's low volume of 39 was rare but your's is really unique. I stumbled unto mine and did not really know what it was at first.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo S with powerkit