Suspension Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 06:55 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Suspension Refresh

Hey guys-
I decided on my 2999 mile roadtrip to Rennsport back in September when my car hit 100,000 miles (thread with lots of pics probably coming soon) that I should refresh my suspension. As this is a street car I have no desire to increase NVH with harder bushings and such - so I'm thinking factory /factory feel is fine. Unless somebody has a clearly better solution.

What is the best (and/or most cost-effective) way to do a refresh? Buy all new control arms? Just replace the bushings on the control arms? And sway bar links? I also assume tie rod ends and ball joints? Is that it?

The car currently has H&R height adjustable coilovers. Might spring for KW V3s too. We'll see.

Thanks-

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
Old 11-05-2018, 09:42 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Hey Brandon, - I am now going through a lot on my car,.. and settled on replacing the Spring Plates (amongst other things) due to worn rubber seal as well as the mono ball within. Getting a 4 corner weight balance now + alignment,.. so I'll see how it feels when I have more seat time.

But I would suggest,.. if you have not already done it,.. to very closely inspect all of what you mention above. Tie rod ends? Mine were fine,.. and I doubt they have ever been replaced. My control arm bushings were also fine.

My thinking is that if you really want to feel a marked improvement in the feel of your car,... you would probably focus on the shocks & springs. If those are still stock Boge', that would be a good place to start.

=Steve
Old 11-06-2018, 01:30 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Hey Steve-
Thanks for the response. As I mentioned I have H&R coilovers and to go along with what you say - when I had the front wheels off recently I felt no play in the suspension - but man 27 years and 100,000 miles...I can't help but think they don't perform as well as they could at this point. But maybe I'm wrong. Going across Nevada at 125 at times on anything other than super smooth asphalt (Utah's was the best, FYI) - I just felt like the car wasn't as stable as in the past.

Spring plates - did you go with OE or aftermarket? I don't know much about spring pates but vaguely recall a thread a few years ago about a cost effective way to refresh them - maybe it was a quality aftermarket piece or...?

Thanks-

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
Old 11-06-2018, 02:30 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 660 Posts

Right on. Lots of concentration going on at 125+, and usually our minds are always hoping/wishing,.. that everything holds together! .. Can we say Adrenaline Rush!! .. But these cars are tough.

So if you been inspecting your suspension bits, that's always a good sign. You can usually see what's worn.

Re: Spring Plates. I was told by Cobalt that there is somebody who is re-furb'ing them. Not sure who though. And I didn't have a lot of time to let the car sit on lift, waiting for that. So I went with new FVD Brombacher.

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/9643310601...e-964-965.html

They had them at their warehouse & shipped out immediately. They are now installed on the car, but I'm waiting on a 4-corner weight balance, ride height adjustment, and full alignment, before I'll get to drive it.

=Steve
Old 11-06-2018, 05:25 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

I had zero doubt about the car holding together at that speed - these cars are so well made - and made to go fast all day long...and ask for more :-)

Thanks for the linky. Pricey little buggers aren't they. But what can ya do.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Not sure about you guys but my car becomes far more stable at high speeds than at low. The faster I go the more planted the car is.

A lot of how a car feels depends on how the suspension is setup. I find a lot of shops do a decent job setting it to factory specs but when the car is lowered or has suspension changes they don't know how to properly set the car up and guess. Adding or subtracting toe both front and rear along with camber and caster adjustments will adjust how the car will feel in the turns and many of us add spacers which can impact the scrub radius and if you get to close to 0 the car can feel all over the road.

I would start with inspecting all components, changing what is needed and then doing a thorough alignment.

BTW the H&R coil overs are I believe bilstein shocks made to H&R specs. You can probably send them out and have them refreshed.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:18 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve

My thinking is that if you really want to feel a marked improvement in the feel of your car,... you would probably focus on the shocks & springs.
In my experience, tires have a lot more influence on suspension feel than anything else.
I wouldn't want to stiffen up anything; the stock suspension is on the edge of painful on the street. Besides, the handling limits of the car are sufficiently high enough that they should not be explored on public roads so how fancy of a suspension does one really need?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
In my experience, tires have a lot more influence on suspension feel than anything else.
I wouldn't want to stiffen up anything; the stock suspension is on the edge of painful on the street. Besides, the handling limits of the car are sufficiently high enough that they should not be explored on public roads so how fancy of a suspension does one really need?
Another valid point. Not only manufacturer also age.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Ginnmillracing
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I refreshed my suspension a few years ago with Bilstein HDs and H&R springs. Lowered & aligned to RS specs, corner balanced.Speedlines with Michelin PS2.Very happy with performance and ride.Part numbers below…

Bilstein FL #35-052777

Bilstein FR #35-052784

Bilstein Shock Rear #24-015479

Spring Set H&R #29834
Old 06-23-2022, 12:05 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginnmillracing
I refreshed my suspension a few years ago with Bilstein HDs and H&R springs. Lowered & aligned to RS specs, corner balanced.Speedlines with Michelin PS2.Very happy with performance and ride.Part numbers below…

Bilstein FL #35-052777

Bilstein FR #35-052784

Bilstein Shock Rear #24-015479

Spring Set H&R #29834
Mind sharing the RS alignment specs ?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2022, 10:25 AM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

My Spring Plates where expired.
On the car they did not seem so bad , but once I removed them they where toast.
I replaced with after market for added adjustability
and
the difference was huge as I had already refreshed most other things and have a complete RUF suspension

I have resisted the urge to go with 18 inch rims and now I'm glad I did not as our local Govt has neglected roads and Stock is bringing more $$$- I'm on Toyo R888-R. The car is slammed no bump steer and the tires fit the wheel well nicely

The following users liked this post:
heliolps2 (06-23-2022)
Old 06-27-2022, 04:17 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Black Hat did you get your smoke issue sorted?

Going back to suspension - I've had the KW V3's for 2 years now - very happy with them. This winter I may address the suspension in general - spring plates, bushings etc.

Brandon
'91 Turbo
Old 06-27-2022, 04:53 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

Smoke issue 100% resolved.
1. K-29 with evergreen hot side wheel/bearing upgrade flows more oil
2. big chunk of carbon in my drip tank
3. marginal scavenge pump
4. slightly collapsed rubber oil line that runs from scavenge pump to oil tank

I'm from Germany, My Uncle is still Very active in the Porsche club there and races/DE all the time. He is a demon on the AutoBahn. His club does Time Trials on the Hwy From Prague to BudaPest - I went along once.....never again.

one thing the Germans do for long Range high speed stability is Rake - get the nose down lower than the rear - With the flat bottom and keep air from getting under the car - you will create low pressure

Quick Reply: Suspension Refresh