Air pump function

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 01:06 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Air pump function

Hi there

Here's what I understand, The air pump injects air into the exhaust ports on cold starts for emissions, after the engine is warm it no longer injects air into the ports. The air is diverted using the two diverts into the stock cat or Fabspeed bypass that I have on my 965 or the atmosphere with after market exhaust if it's done correctly. The only thing that robs power is the belt driven air pump.

Once the air pump belt is removed but all the air lines stay, What the purpose of the Stock Jectronic ECU and oxygen sensor now ? I have some ideas, but i'm looking to see if some has a more educated answer

Last edited by heliolps2; 11-03-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:02 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by heliolps2
Hi there

Here's what I understand, The air pump injects air into the exhaust ports on cold starts for emissions, after the engine is warm it no longer injects air into the ports. The air is diverted using the two diverts into the stock cat or Fabspeed bypass that I have on my 965 or the atmosphere with after market exhaust if it's done correctly. The only thing that robs power is the belt driven air pump.

Once the air pump belt is removed but all the air lines stay, What the purpose of the Stock Jectronic ECU and oxygen sensor now ? I have some ideas, but i'm looking to see if some has a more educated answer
The narrow band O2 sensor sends a signal to the Lambda control module. The Lambda module varies the fuel pressure in the lower chamber of the fuel distributor via the frequency valve. The end result is that enrichment is fine tuned to target an AFR of 14.7/1.

Quick Reply: Air pump function