964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

oil leak after parked over winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:49 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default oil leak after parked over winter

serviced my 964 turbo after having been stood over the winter, took it out and smoke coming from engine compartment , underneath i could see oil near the turbo oil drain sump,oil also at bottom of cranlcase and rockers also blown onto the transmission
will give a wash down and drive to see where it is leaking from but is there any common place son the 964 turbo where oil leaks are common
serviced using mobil 1 oil
Old 09-09-2018, 08:55 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Sounds like oil is dripping on your heat exchanger(s).
Check the scavenge pump and the pipe joint between the scavenge line and the turbo catch tank line on the drivers side.
Check the power steering take off on the passenger side.
Valve covers and the "triangle of death" (oil thermostat and breather outlet on top of the engine) could potentially be a source.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:54 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

I will have a look need to familiarise myself with what all these bits look like, scavenge pump,where the thermostat is located
where is oil coming from on part of the transmission, it starts from back of the car moving towards the front rather than if it was blowing from driving moving from front to back, the pipe coming of the turbo oil drain sump which i assume you are referring to as the catch tank is wrapped in heat wrap and this is wet with oil

Last edited by 911 2; 09-09-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:03 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

911 2 can you post pic's ?

Helio
Old 09-09-2018, 08:17 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

I will try and get some pics
Old 09-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 2
I will have a look need to familiarise myself with what all these bits look like, scavenge pump,where the thermostat is located
where is oil coming from on part of the transmission, it starts from back of the car moving towards the front rather than if it was blowing from driving moving from front to back, the pipe coming of the turbo oil drain sump which i assume you are referring to as the catch tank is wrapped in heat wrap and this is wet with oil
The scavenge pump is on the driver's side, left bank of cylinders and is driven off the camshaft (facing the front of the car but is actually the rear of the engine) . The suction line comes out of the pump and connects with the catch tank hard line (if we are talking about a stock set-up) near the rear of the car (which is the front of the engine).
The power steering pump is on the opposite side (passenger side). The seal at the camshaft (not visible) usually loses it's compliance and the leak starts there.
If you have oil coming out of the square hole on the bottom of the bell housing it could be either the engine rear main seal or the transmission input shaft seal. This is usually fixed with the powertrain removed unless you are a brave soul who tilts everything downward and removes the transaxle.
The breather is on top of the engine and requires removing the intercooler even to see it and removal of the fuel injection head to actually re-seal it.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:16 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

your passenger side and driver side are you referring to a left hand drive vehicle as mine is a right hand drive
Had a look underneath today and the left side looking from the rear of the vehicle ie passenger side on a right hand vehicle has oil on one of the drain tubes and around that area, transmission from middle where the plastic undertray finishes to back of engine has an oil mist on it
can the drain tubes be changed without removing the engine
if it is the drain tubes why is the underneath of the box covered in oil
Old 09-11-2018, 09:50 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 2
your passenger side and driver side are you referring to a left hand drive vehicle as mine is a right hand drive
Had a look underneath today and the left side looking from the rear of the vehicle ie passenger side on a right hand vehicle has oil on one of the drain tubes and around that area, transmission from middle where the plastic undertray finishes to back of engine has an oil mist on it
can the drain tubes be changed without removing the engine
if it is the drain tubes why is the underneath of the box covered in oil
I am referring to a LHD car.
It is likely that you have multiple leaks.
Oil return tubes can be replaced without removing the heads. There are 2 piece tubes for that purpose https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...il+return+tube
As for the oil mist, I recommend removing the tray, clean everything up well, reassemble and drive a little bit and inspect again.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:15 AM
911 2
Burning Brakes

I plan on giving the engine a steam clean and then see where the oil is coming from, i dont have any oil in the area where the under tray sits its actually after the under tray

Quick Reply: oil leak after parked over winter