964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Cooling fan behavior question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 06:11 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts
Question Cooling fan behavior question

Running on a hot day (today) - the left side cooling fan is running, but not the right. Same when motor switched off, when ignition switch still on, the left fan only keeps running. When ignition switch is off, no fans run.

Are they staged by temp or something? Or run in alternates?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

If you are referring to the fans in the rear quarter panels, they should both be running together.
Running a diagnostic check with a Bosch Hammer should tell you if that motor is seized.
Tanks it out and take it apart; they are easy to fix depending on the issue.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:41 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Oh I mean the front oil cooler fans, sorry should have specified...
Old 08-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

does turbo have dual coolers?

on the C2 they work like this:

left side is AC. so turn off your ac and that fan should turn off
right side is oil. it's temperature triggered (if it's working). should turn on when oil is nearing 10 oclock which is quite hot. how hot was the car? yeah it's warm here in SoCal this weekend...
Old 08-06-2018, 04:32 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

OH - hadn't realized the left is condenser! Still learning...hah. So all seems to be in order then.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

If the fan on the condenser is cycling on and off, replace the ballast on top of the condenser.
If the oil cooler fan refuses to come on (test by driving into a traffic jam in hot weather and watch your oil temp gauge; if it continues to go up and up, the fan ballast is dead), replace the ballast on top of the condenser.
Fun jobs
Old 08-07-2018, 04:16 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
If the fan on the condenser is cycling on and off, replace the ballast on top of the condenser.
If the oil cooler fan refuses to come on (test by driving into a traffic jam in hot weather and watch your oil temp gauge; if it continues to go up and up, the fan ballast is dead), replace the ballast on top of the condenser.
Fun jobs
Been there do that..
Old 08-07-2018, 07:46 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

The car does not get too hot, so assuming all is working. I did notice though, the right bumper/bottom cover get VERY hot, which didn't feel right. I felt like it was hot enough out - 90 degrees - and I ran her rather quickly across mulholland, so in my mind that that oil cooler fan ought to have been running. But temp gauge wasn't at 10 o'clock...
Old 08-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by wicks
The car does not get too hot, so assuming all is working. I did notice though, the right bumper/bottom cover get VERY hot, which didn't feel right. I felt like it was hot enough out - 90 degrees - and I ran her rather quickly across mulholland, so in my mind that that oil cooler fan ought to have been running. But temp gauge wasn't at 10 o'clock...
stick your hand under the front bumper you will feel air when either fan is running.
the trigger is quite high for the oil cooler
you can modify the trigger temp by inserting a resistor in parallel with the sensor on the oil cooler to lower the threshold
this is a very easy, non-destructive mod that will cause the cooler to turn on when the temp gauge is closer to 9 o clock
Of course that assumes your CCU and fan relay and fan and ballast are all functional

I don't have a direct link handy but you can look in my build thread in sig for pics of the oil temp modification.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:53 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

The oil cooler on the has two speeds, Low speed at 10ish maybe a little less and high speed at 11ish
Old 08-11-2018, 12:11 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

here's link with helpful info

https://www.bergvillfx.com/porschehvac2
Old 08-13-2018, 04:27 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Fascinating that the CCU controls engine cooling?
  • Monitor the engine temperature to be able to run the aux fan in cooling mode at ignition off if needed
What might cause the AC (cooling) to become weak during a slightly spirited drive on a reasonably warm day? 80F. Most of the time, the AC blows very cold, but last drive it sort of stopped cooling well during slightly quick driving in the mountains.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:41 AM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Hey there

One the things that I do in the summer and this may help you as well is I disconnect the hoses from the heat exchanger to the chassis flaper boxes, that way you get max cold air, And reinstall in the late fall,

It seems that our cars get old the heat seeps through the front mixing flaps, Because the foam edges that seals the flap starts to go bad. When you disconnect make sure you vent it outwards so that your not blow the hot air on your starter or wires.

I was stopped at traffic light two days ago and my vent temp was at 34F, 90 deg out and 56 percent humidity. I took a pic that I need to post, my new VW vent temp blow ice cold at 29F

Helio
Old 08-14-2018, 11:50 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Default Show your 964 vent AC vent temp and solution

Hey there

I have to say the last time I had the HVAC system recharged was May of 2017 and one the things that I do in the summer and this may help you as well is I disconnect the hoses from the heat exchanger to the chassis flapper boxes, that way you get max cold air, And reinstall in the late fall,

It seems that our cars get old the heat seeps through the front mixing flaps, Because the foam edges that seals the flap starts to go bad. When you disconnect make sure you vent it outwards so that your not blow the hot air on your starter or wires.

I was stopped at traffic light two days ago and my vent temp was at 34F, 90 deg out and 56 percent humidity. my new VW vent temp blow ce cold at 29F. I would like to see how cold you're AC gets. Please share your pic's

Quick Reply: Cooling fan behavior question